⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Kalø

All of the Gargoyles are very strong, there’s no doubt about that. Kalo, to me, is a just even a far outlier to anyh of them.

Personally, Kalo’s special notwithstanding, I think the thing that is going to lead to the most trepidation isn’t necessarily their specials, it’s going to be their stone-skin abilities, because you’re in many cases you effectively having to charge with tiles and for all intents and purposes, they’re are immune to the tile damage.

I’ve seen the Styx heroes and they solid, but in my view, they seem to be on par with the Season 5 heroes. Definitely not as strong as the Gargoyles. And I know that the 2 new Season 2 heroes that are coming out has a lot of people worried, because yes they seem very, very strong.

And I’m not one to call for nerfs a lot. The only time I thought a nerf was in order was way back with the first Telluria nerf. At that point, she was just far too strong. And combined with Vela and GM who did extra damage against greens and red respectively, they needed to do something. Her second nerf was wholly unnecessary in my opinion.

Even the Krampus nerf, I wasn’t very big on. To me, if they wanted to do anything, they probably should have just changed his class to something other than Rogue, as his ability to dodge dispels is what really made him a handful to deal with. They should have just left it at that.

3 Likes

Let’s calm down and wait to see if Kalo will be in many defenses, especially the top 100

For now I think he will be more used on offensive teams. I like the idea to overcome much better defensive teams

I think SGG will collect some data of the defenses before make any decision

As much as he’s overreacting…

Sure, there are some attacking use cases where you could make him do something silly, especially later war lines (lineup with some 5* glass cannons and a nearby healer so Brynhild/Kashhrek, etc to heal him so he’s definitely still there - I could easily set for eg: Isarnia, G.Kong x2, Kalo, Brynhild).
He could potentially be burning them out there, but if it goes wrong you’ve just wasted a war flag on a novelty lineup that either wins with ridiculous over-kill damage, or scores low and let’s your buddies down.

3 Likes

No, I’m speaking very much in reality. Someone does not need to have 94 maxed 4 stars like I do. They only need four , if they’re the right ones. There’s a lot of players in this game that have more than four maxed 5 stars.

Except, you don’t get 18 green tiles to make Quenell go off 2 times. Or in the case of double taunters, you do, and Quenell’s 3 hit special gets taken by one.

And thats presuming that Kalo or some other hero with a big special doesn’t go off and nuke your Quenell before she even gets her second hit.

This is yet another strawman. I have yet to even imply he’s not kill-able. He’s very kill-able. The issue becomes that you have to kill him first, as a 4 star hero. Or suffer the massive consequences of the very strong 5 star heroes you already killed coming back and nuking you into oblivion when he goes off.

Or if you do kill him first, that’s all the more time that those other very strong 5 star heroes have to go off themselves. Which again, is the entire point. He’s a 4 star hero. He has no business having that kind of threat of a special.

1 Like

Look above. There’s video evidence of Kalo in action.

And he doesn’t need multiple heroes to be dead to be overpowered. It only takes one.

I’ve seen the videos, looking about as contrived as I’d expect from someone trying to make a point…

Also, make your mind up - the videos that show him as OP show him casting a bunch of specials; if he’s so OP with only one, why aren’t the vids showing that :wink:

2 Likes

Every time I see “don’t nerf this, nerfing is evil, anyone who ever calls for a nerf doesn’t know what they’re talking about, ever” takes, I feel compelled to point out that power creep is effectively and continually nerfing prior heroes — plenty of F2P and even C2P are having to make do without, and thus are that much more easily obliterated in competitive events, which is pretty much “almost all events.”

A hero could be released with the Very Fast special “Fight instantly ends, this hero’s side wins” and we could start a betting pool in nanoseconds for replies like

• “still can be mana controlled”
  • “dies to tile damage lol”
  • “just don’t hit it with tiles lol”
  • “OMG WHY DO PPL WANT TO NERF EVERYTHING I ALREADY HAVE ALL SIX OF MINE LIMIT BROKEN NOT FAIR”

As for this hero in particular, I’m not sure that even just looking at defense usage is the best measure of “problematic,” given that some people might feel like using him only on offense (and that people are already talking about which 1/1 heroes to group him with for ridiculous unbalanced attacks).

I’d think, along with others here, that if this 4* hero were on defense and rated a big flashing “TAKE ME OUT FIRST” sign over his head compared to even top-tier 5*, that speaks volumes to his inbalance.

9 Likes

The “take me out first” isn’t the hard and fast rule though, it’s only required if you kill an enemy with a special your team isn’t capable of dealing with.

Kalo is a double edged sword. If you bring a team who has no problems dealing with the ramifications of the first hero you plan to target going off, then it doesn’t matter if you take out that hero, let kalo go off, and then rotate to kalo when it’s necessary.

If you have a team that’s great at countering a particular hero, congrats, killing them makes it so now your team has 2 people it can counter, because kalo just turned into what your team is built to counter.

This goes both ways. Be creative.

@BobTheSnark
I have said this in Beta too
All these new heroes being pushed out at speed and all the proposed new heroes in line are making current S1 and some S2 and some HOTM and some Costumed heroes redundant… forever sitting on the bench waiting for a buff.
And yet players new to the game are still paying to pull from the basic S1 portals. That’s a disgrace
There are many threads in the forum calling for a buff, even for heroes such as Telluria and Vela that got nerfed to oblivion…
Personally rather than call out individual heroes for a buff/nerf we need effort to push for a true rebalance

1 Like

There are plenty of heroes I have no counter for other than “take them out before they can fire” (which is often a problem even if I try to use Fast-only heroes, as I am lacking in mana, never mind Magic, troops).

If I do have a counter, and I really do need to use that counter to not get slobberknockered, I can’t rely on bringing just one counter — if the counter is necessary for me to have any chance, I need to bring two. Chances are one of my counter-heroes will either fall or simply not charge up in time to counter the doom I brought them for.

I try to be and stay positive. But come the f**k on.
I understand how many people feel when they reach a point in the game where futility causes them to throw their phone at the wall after a raid. Or when the portals are so typically unfavourable that despair digs its ugly claws into their hopes of just one “come on please I’m only asking for one” decent hero who can lift the rest of my team up that little bit extra.
I’ve played Zynga games…it dosen’t stop…they just keep pushing out content until even the “new” becomes redundant…is it too much to ask for forethought…rather than a “balance and adjust” afterthought?
Well since I have nothing nice to say at this point I shall attempt to maintain positive.
Thank you for patience.
No reply necessary.

2 Likes

I feel that everyone is talking about this in a defence standpoint. My gripe is that this hero is out of bounds to the mechanics of this game. It has always been 100% mana, 1 special. Now we can have 100% mana, up to 5 specials in one go
Who is stopping anyone from half training 4 OP heroes to get to 8/8 skill so that they purposely die for kalo?

1 Like

Will players do that ?! :scream:

I can see Kalo having fun in rush war defence. Right wing. Nicely tucked away with

MoNo left wing
Taunt left flank
Alfrike centre
Another Deadly right flank
Kalo (no need second reviver)

2 Likes

I mean who is stopping that kind of team? Some players will exploit such a rule

1 Like

Of course they will.

The only aim is to WIN.

if it’s supposed to have some nerf (not saying that’s right or not), I hope it can wait until Tower of Magic event be over

I maxed Azmia for the event but the nerf came before

She’s still useful for the event but before nerf she would be far more effective

I’m not worried. I would lose most of the battles against a team like these with or without Kalo… kkk

7 Likes

I guess they have Kalo. So, they don’t want him to be nerf :smile:

Warning : You can’t do that on Kalo. Lord Loki can’t copy Kalo.

In my opinion, it will be Treevil + Franz + Guardian Owl or Goseck(another overpower gargoyle) and x2 Kalo. That 3 heroes combo alone can take down entire team, so you can bring 2 Kalo.

1 Like

I won’t participate in the tourneys anymore, but I can totally imagine the situation in rush 5* tourney - you manage to shut down and kill Alfrike, Ludwig, even Mother North, and than this little ■■■■■ turns into all of them, and bring back all of them. Oh, and you were also smart enough to target him first but MN brought him back so it was all over again. :rofl:

5 Likes

To make that worse, do you know if there are MN and MN costume, that little ■■■■■ can copy them both since MN skill and MN costume skill are different skill ? And unlike MN or MN costume, the little ■■■■■ resist Lord Loki :rofl:

2 Likes