Event Time Bonus Score

I recorded video of a few runs on the event in hopes of working out the scoring formula, and found something troubling. In two runs I had very similar times, but the score for my slower run was higher.

Run 1: Time - 1:22.1, Time Bonus: 13525

Run 2: Time - 1:20.2, Time Bonus: 13445

The run that was 2 seconds slower earned 80 more points, which oughtn’t be the case. I really hope that this is a mistake or a correction for server lag, and that there isn’t some random factor added into these scores. Boards already make the game random enough, and he scores should be an exact representation of a player’s performance.

3 Likes

Oh I thought you didn’t account for the other bonuses, but now I see that the time bonuses are different. Hmmm.

1 Like

Cascades and animations of hero specials take up a lot of time, maybe that gets substracted?

Perhaps the time bonus is calculated on how long it takes to complete each round in a stage?

@Petri @Sara now the event is over, I’d really appreciate you making sure that scoring works as intended. The events are so tightly contested that a handful of points or a few seconds can make all the difference, so I want to make sure player are rewarded fairly.

@Petri @mhalttu please give us any comments

Thanks for the report! The event time score is based on the server clock to prevent cheating. It may slightly differ from the timer shown in your game. I hope this helps!

This is not relevant to the presumed bug, but if you’re trying to figure out the time scoring you may take advantage of the work this guy had already done Challenge Scoring Observations - #11 by Epigenetic.

Great, I’m happy as long as it’s working as intended.

1 Like

You can see the formula for time in the thread already referenced. I did notice the same phenomenon you pointed out here and now we know the source of the wobble. Unless we get the server time a more accurate formula will be difficult to do

I was linked to your response here from a YouTuber that posted on my concern video here:

Time is time. I am comparing the same levels on the same phone showing the in-game timer. If it was off from the server, wouldn’t it be consistently off?—unless internet connectivity matters in which case players might have an advantage from better internet service?!

I ran numbers on the first 9 levels of the 1st Ninja Tower to the 2nd and there were 4 cases that I had much quicker times and significantly worse time bonuses. I wouldn’t say they were “slight.”

As a player that placed #8 in both Towers, I am vested in maximizing my points for best results.

I live on a tiny island. Am I at a deficit if my game needs to bounce through several servers before it connects with SGs? I appreciate the effort to hinder in-phone cheating, but it would be a shame if that creates other handicaps for competition.

As always, I appreciate all time answering questions. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Dude I do agree on the time one. But the health one on the first run your tyrum gets hit twice once at the start then once right at the very end.

1 Like

I did edit my original post in this forum (and elsewhere) to correct that mistake. I failed to see the last hit in the closing moments so I am wrong about the health.

The concern on time is still a very real issue. I had 4 of the first 9 floors with faster times in the 2nd Tower, but less Time bonus.

1 Like