Balancing the Challenge Event rewards

@Kerridoc, the fact that you did over 100 WE flasks to get the results you wanted means this system is botched. We need something new here. @Sara @Witch @Petri

1 Like

Sadly as long as the score is mostly board-dependent, it is subject to RNG and the only way to smooth that out is to increase the number of runs through dramatically.

cutting th number of runs DOWN to appease F2P is the wrong way to go about it - it will just lead to pure luck in whoever got good boards. The way to go would be to give everyone enough “challenge flags” to be the equivalent of 50-100 WE.

Or better yet, the events shouldn’t cost ANY WE at all. That way anyone can play it at any time, as many times as they’d like.

1 Like

That’s true, a very good hero setup and as we see tons of world energy flasks are much more important and indispensable to get into the top ranks. However, also a minor factor might make the difference between being the winner or the runner-up (or between rank 95 and rank 105) - in particular, when it comes to colour stacking in the epic/legendary event. The difference between lvl 20 and 30 might not be that big, but it is indeed a difference to have four or five 4-star troops at a medium to high level and to have one or two 4-star troops–or even zero (some members of my alliance still do not have 4-star troops in all colours even though they have been playing this game for an year now).

Back to the main topic: If ridiculous amounts of energy flasks are necessary to get into the top 10 and the event is mainly about rerolling until a perfect board shows up then something is clearly wrong. Two things have to be done:

• First, the event mechanics need to be changed, so that skill is the deciding factor not the amount of energy flasks used to reroll and wait for a perfect board to clear all enemies before they can even attack. One already mentioned solution is that the times a level can be re-played get limited. Another would be to considerably increase the HP of the mobs and/or number of waves (and to slightly decrease the attack of the enemies so that it doesn’t get uber-difficult).
  • Second, more players should get good prizes. At the moment it simply doesn’t make much sense to aim for the top ranks if THAT much material is required to get into the top ranks. If Kerridoc used 150 flasks, most probably also the rest of the top 10 or 20 or 50 used huge amounts of flasks to reroll. And they did not get the super-rare 5* hero. And those who just missed the top 100 who probably also used a lot of stuff got a few quite good things but mostly crap.
2 Likes

No - limiting the number if runs will INCREASE the chaotic RNG effect and reduce the role skill plays in winning. The only ways to make it MORE skill based is to remove rng (which we can’t because removing the match 3 removes the heart of the game mechanics) OR give everyone enough runs so that everyone gets dozens of of “A” boards so that the differentiator is skill not the fact that you tried enough to to get lucky boards.

Again - limiting the boards will increase the luck factor and reduce the impact of skill. It would cause more people to win but it would basically turn it from a contest into a lottery.

2 Likes

I am also of the opinion to increase the number of runs to unlimited without costing world energy. Everyone can run as many times as they like and it comes down to having the correct combination of heroes and smart item usage. P2P will still have a slight advantage since they can farm more items but if a F2P is smart about their usage they won’t need to spend as much items. Farming is also very RNG dependent so that offsets the “for sure” use of a world energy refill.

Unlimited runs without costing world energy would mean that everyone just sits there and rerolls until the perfect board is there. True, we won’t need ridiculous amounts of energy anymore. However, I don’t think that it is going to be very funny, rerolling hundereds of times just to wait for the perfect board.

@Dante2377: Yes, depending on how many runs are allowed luck will become a more important factor. But E&P has always been a game of both luck and skill. No matter how good you are, you can always lose PvP or war battles (unless the opponent is significantly weaker). That’s why the posters above have also included mechanics to reduce the luck factor. Someone suggested “everyone gets the same boards”. I suggested increasing the number of waves and/or the HP of monsters to have longer battles where the starting board is not as decisive as it is now with 2 mob rounds and one boss round. Another possibility would be to limit the number of tiles of the same colour (like no more than 9 or 10 of the same colour). Ideally, a combination of all that.

As the events are now, it’s mostly about who is willing to spend the most material (WE flasks) and that should really be changed.

1 Like

I think a simple solution for making the events more skill-based would be to increase the number of waves in each stage from 3 to 5. With only 3 waves, you can get one lucky board at the beginning which charges up your heroes and kills all the enemies and then you can get through the next two waves using items and hero abilities. If you have five waves, that is no longer possible. You won’t have enough items to get you through all the waves, so you’ll be forced to make multiple moves no matter what. Scoring can stay the same, but healing, combos over multiple moves, and skill in reading the board will play a more important role.

5 Likes

This is an interesting idea. My concern is that it makes completing the event too hard for mid-tier people, but it’s really the boss level that stops people. So maybe this.

1 Like

What about having 5 minute cool down after a run if you flee. That would reduce the possibility of using the farming tactic you guys are doing atm, but would not limit the players in other ways. It would still mean you can use money to your benefit.

150 refills is 15000 gems is around 150 € (roughly?). You’d use 50 refills next event with this change I guess. If there are 1000 ppl playing like you do it would mean 100 000€ less or 1.2m€/year. Maybe come up with other means to compensate for this loss i don’t know.

Besides I’m sensing dissatisfaction for the way the events are now from ppl who pay so this model is probably not sustainable anyways. I mean do you enjoy pressing the flee button for 3 days straight ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Spring/ Summer/ Autumn/ Winter events appear to be the Devs answer to many complaints about challenge events ascension items and avatars.

Your suggestion, if it works, would cut into the sales of flasks, battle items, and trainer heroes.

I compare the game shop to the popcorn at a movie theater. Everyone know it is over priced but it is the only solution to the movie studio business/ theater chain business model. Freemium games still have to pay fixed overhead costs ( servers, salaries, rent, insurance, etc. ) and challenge events, combined with high shop prices, help defray this cost.

MY PERSONAL OPINION
I don’t like challenge events, but I also don’t like over priced popcorn. In both cases I can skip them. But for people who can afford them, they help subsidize the experience for the people who can’t, or won’t, pay more money for things like limited times summons ( see Notes ).

I would like it if their was a seasonal event, and a challenge event, every month. But the Devs are programming as fast as they can.

==Notes==

"Research from Stanford GSB and the University of California, Santa Cruz suggests that there is a method to theaters’ madness—and one that in fact benefits the viewing public. By charging high prices on concessions, exhibition houses are able to keep ticket prices lower, which allows more people to enjoy the silver-screen experience. ( linky, linky )

The findings empirically answer the age-old question of whether it’s better to charge more for a primary product (in this case, the movie ticket) or a secondary product (the popcorn). Putting the premium on the “frill” items, it turns out, indeed opens up the possibility for price-sensitive people to see films. That means more customers coming to theaters in general, and a nice profit from those who are willing to fork it over for the Gummy Bears.

Indeed, movie exhibition houses rely on concession sales to keep their businesses viable. Although concessions account for only about 20 percent of gross revenues, they represent some 40 percent of theaters’ profits. That’s because while ticket revenues must be shared with movie distributors, 100 percent of concessions go straight into an exhibitor’s coffers."

2 Likes

I really really like this idea of adding more minion stages. This will make the health bonus more of a factor by forcing people to bring a healer. It also would eliminate those 1 move wins making it more of a skill to compete rather than just luck of a good starting move. I would think it would be an easy adjustment to make too. I believe like the rare quests those just going for completion would save up their specials/items for the bosses and be able to get passed them.

1 Like

Making the game fair and balanced for everybody? That would never do…They will continue to reward those who pay to play vs the people who do not…This is their cash cow, why change the game now?

Oh there’s a solution…Lets look at American Football for instance. You have the Pros and they have their superbowl…Then you have the Semi-pro’s and then you have College and high school, and pee wee. This is a doable Tournament if you will. You don’t ever see a white belt in Karate going against a black belt for the title. Have different tiers, and once you have declared for a certain tier, that’s it for that tournament, your stuck in that tier…So let the so called “Legends” of the game play in the Legendary Tier only and let the little guy who only has 2-3* characters play in the pee wee Tier and so on…This isn’t brain surgery, it can work

1 Like

This is one of the best and simplest solutions that I’ve seen in this thread. Kudos!

2 Likes

I think the most difficult waves are the first one (when all of your heroes begin with zero mana) and the boss wave (for obvious reasons). Increased mob waves would make the stage a bit more difficult to finish for less advanced players, but I think the effect would be minimal.

2 Likes

Less advanced players typically have the most difficulty with the last few stages. To try and alleviate the increased difficulty, those levels could have fewer waves:

Stages 1-6: 5 waves
Stages 7-10: 4 waves

I don’t know, which would be best thing for events.

Endless runs for everyone would be pretty luck related not skill. And same pretty much with every one having same amount runs, since sometimes you just have bad board rows! :joy:

Same time events has become less fun for me. I use to try getting top100, but not anymore, since I really don’t want to use so much money in world energies, when prizes aren’t even that good.

I think, there should be some kind of punishment for fleeing and rerolling. For example next round would give you less points or cool off time, like everytime you flee, you have to wait 5 minutes, before you can attack again.

Also that 5 rounds sounds intresting, but that could lead to situation, where all players can’t finish event. Mostly those, who need items to survive every round.

1 Like

Well, yes. If you make it so easy “anyone” can complete it, which of the really good players get the best score, will be a lottery.

… and as anyone knows, in a lottery, the more tickets you buy, the better your chances. :slight_smile:

Why SG don’t make new sistem for events all the time we have same people as winers