Alliance Wars - Unfair Matchmaking

Unfair matchups in Alliance Wars
Being matched up with teams that are way more powerful games are not even close!

It does happen sometimes, you can usually tell by checking the war score in your alliance.

Its also worth noting its based of each members top 10 heros, which imo isnt very good as a person with 10x2lb is the same as a 30x2lb 5*s etc.

But i also see people not running their best defense which hurts you or people that have focused 5*s without have other teams actually leveled.

Im a few hundred power off the strongest person in my current alliance yet they are always hitting way weaker people which makes no sense other than them unevenly leveling heros

2 Likes

Just pointing out that for every team facing a stronger opponent, there’s one facing a weaker one.

The reason is that the matching isn’t taking into account players changing their status as well as it could. But it does it’s job ok with the occasional slip. Know that you’re just as likely to benefit from it as to be on the losing side.

4 Likes

When did this change? I’ve searched through the forum and can’t find any reference to war matchmaking being off every player’s top 10 heroes.

As far as I am aware it has always been based on the top 30 heroes in each player’s roster - and the wiki also says it is off the top 30 heroes as well unless that is now out of date.

Getting more specific the war matchmaking formula used to be based on top 30 heroes (with the top 5 heroes in each roster getting a x5 weighting as it is assumed they would be your defence), your top 5 troops and then a modifier based overall track record of your last 15 wars (I think it is 15, I vaguely remember that change from the original past 10 wars).

There are ways to game the matchmaking scores (assuming there haven’t been any significant changes) to get better success records.

Firstly if your top 5 heroes are significantly stronger than your next 25 then you are going to run into trouble due to the 5x modifier on your top 5 heroes. Ideally you need to get your next 25 heroes up to a level in which you could muster 5 attacks that could beat your own defence, if you can’t you’re more likely to get opponents where your weaker attacks are going to struggle.

Secondly whilst the matchmaking counts your top 30 heroes it actually helps to have at least 40 war ready heroes if you want to go for 6 OHKOs, that way you can completely bench the colour weak to opponent’s tanks. Though if you’re fine with doing one clean up each war with your weak colour then you’re fine with just 30 heroes.

Finally depth in troops can make a huge difference because anything outside your top 5 troops is just completely ignored by matchmaking (again assuming that hasn’t changed) but they can make a big difference in your team’s performances. Though it is worth pondering how Legendary troops affect the war score? Do they count the strength added to the team with or without the class bonuses? I don’t know and I don’t know whether any of the devs have answered this so I think that’s a complete mystery.

1 Like

Maybe it is top 30, though last i was told in a ticket it wasn’t so high? But i dont have that ticket anymore

Maybe they changed it or the person replying on the ticket had no idea. But it is based of heros none the less which is an issue no matter how many they do.

The power rating between a 2lb classic and some borken l2b event hero isnt that big bit the actual damage difference is insane.

Whether its top 5-30 those with a bigger roster get the advantage and those with the newer heros will also be at an advantage as well because of the power creep being so vast

1 Like

It been going on like this for 2 weeks games have not even been close.

I always find that when life seems unfair the answer is to get better!

“like two weeks” is probably three wars. Give it “like two more weeks” before you decide something is suspicious.

Ive retitled this thread so it makes more sense.

I came here expecting some rousing discussion of Alliance Words, like the family mottos in Game of Thrones (We Do Not Sow, Ours is the Fury, Unbowed Unbent Unbroken etc).

Instead i got a limp “this is unfair” post.

The matching system is crap, but I cannot think of a better way of doing it, so Im not gonna complain about that part of the game. If youve got a better system, detail it in the Suggestions area.

I think they should redo the power ranking and how its calculated, make it based of the stats more and make certain families more due to the power creep of the special stats. Troops should also be taken into account, easily the top 3 troops of each colour.

Once they do that they can base it off the top 30-50heros.

The biggest issue is some 5*s aren’t so different in “power” but the actual difference in strength is insane! Especially when you consider troops and 2lbs etc.