Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

I hope full info will be in some release notes?

1 Like

Sorry, I should have phrased it more clearly. You cannot change your defense team while the war is going on.

2 Likes

Good suggestion. I’ve relayed it to the team.

6 Likes

I have asked this very question before but never got a reply.
But I agree it would be much fairer to only count maxed hero’s or maybe even ones awaiting mats for their final tier ascension

@mhalttu thanks for all the information and the discussion.

Somewhere I read you are thinking about taking away the preparation phase. I would highly advise against that. The preparation phase is necessary to get everybody to change a war face, set up a war chat and discuss tactics. All this can only be done, if we know our opponents. You would take away a big part of the fun, that would be not nice.

Thanks for taking this into consideration :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed, @LadyXeliara, though I would not object to shortening the war prep phase to, say, 12 hours.

3 Likes

Let’s have a poll. Please note that this is just to guide our decision - unfortunately I can’t promise that we’ll implement the option that gets the most votes.

Also keep in mind that whatever the option, we might still implement the support for editing your team, even when the previous war is over and the next one hasn’t started yet.

• Keep the current 24 hour preparation phase
  • Shorten the preparation phase to 2-6 hours
  • Get rid of the preparation phase. Start the war right after matchmaking.

0 voters

3 Likes

With the countdown before the start of the war I see no issues with the removal of the preparation phase as the countdown will work as the preparation phase itself.

3 Likes

@mhalttu

Keeping the Prep phase is also cool as long as it has a timer.

War Preperation starts in x hrs … counting down.

Why I like removal of it going straight to war is there is a timer on it … meaning you know when to call the members back and ensure you are all ready.

Also removing it means your members have more time to stroll around and arent shackled to the alliance for 24 hrs before a war starts already.

This and off course having an individual opt out.

Ideal world … Prep Phase of 6hrs with a timer indicating when the 6hrs will start with the option of individual opt out.

5 Likes

As a player, who does go to work, a not-so-hardcore player, prep period under a day will just force more static defense setup (pre-made fixed).

Had a thought how great it would be for alliance to have an opt-out for every second war (only one per week).

3 Likes

Without prep phase we only lose knowing who will be our opponent. We’ll still have the timer before war, and it probably leads to better matchmaking since there’s less chances of someone in your alliance leaving once the matchmaking has already been done.

Plus less forced time staying in one alliance which I guess it’s good for people who move around often. Now they’ll know exactly when they have to be in the alliance, currently you can’t know exactly when does the prep phase start, and if you are late you are out.

Also, checking/editing my war defense team whenever I’m not in war is always nice

8 Likes

Biggest concern with a 2-6 hour prep phase is many will be at work or sleep right through it. If there is going to be a prep phase, 24 hrs makes most sense since people live in various time zones throughout the world.

That said, I am liking the idea more and more of removing the prep phase and just having timer to start of war. That becomes prep phase, especially if we’re able to know war rule for that war ahead of time. Thanks for sharing what’s happening and being considered.

12 Likes

I would love that: I think that two wars a week is a bit too much.

Regarding preparation phase: I don’t think that the preparation phase is very useful at this point. We’ve had a couple of wars where a glance at the opponent’s defenses gave us the impression that we’d lose (more teams with a higher defense than us, overall), but apparently, raid defense says nothing about a team’s roster depth. That’s a roundabout way of saying that we won. Also: war defense <> raid defense, so you might not end up fighting the defense you’re seeing in the first place.

I think that knowing what rule will be in effect in advance is worth knowing so you can adapt your defenses to the aid your party will be receiving, and that information can be announced that the second the previous war ends. This way, you technically have a three (Four?) day preparation phase for each war. The only difference now is that you don’t know who you’ll fight, but you don’t really know that right now either because war defense does not equal raid defense.

1 Like

If it ain’t broke… Don’t fiddle wit it. Why change the war prep phase. How about fixing the match making phase…

9 Likes

As one of the stat keepers for our alliance I like the prep period to prepare our spreadsheet. With all of the special characters in player names, It sometimes takes a while to get them in. So, while I personally like the prep period for that, it isn’t earth shattering if it goes away; it would just add more time to enter the other info we track that cannot be entered until we see our opponent’s teams.

2 Likes

@mhalttu fwiw, you have 115 votes out of what is it now? over 2 million players? the people on this forum are not representative of your average player. i think the whole idea of the vote (just like the whole algorithm for AW) wasn’t really thought out. I know you said the results may be ignored, that’s probably the best route to go unless you want to push out an in game vote that reaches your entire playing audience. out of the 30 people in my alliance, only 2 of us ever visit the forums and of us two, i’m the only one that noticed this vote and that was by pure chance. I asked them to come vote but they can’t even copy the URL in game (no copy function in chat, only paste), they have to manually type out the whole URL to the survey post. I got one person to do it.

5 Likes

A wise post - we presume this forum speaks for the masses. But, does it? Lately it’s been full of group think on a variety of topics and decidedly negative. How else does SGG get feedback, I wonder.

2 Likes

Fair enough. As I said, it is just one data point for us. If the results wouldn’t be so evenly split, it would have been more valuable. For example 80% of people voting for the same option would have sent a pretty clear message to us even though the people on the forum are not necessarily completely representative of all players.

5 Likes

This whole thing with the prep phase kind of goes along with war defenses, right? If the prep phase stays at 24 hours, could we do something to shake up defenses a little bit? It’s getting lazy and boring. Every war is either all reds in the center with Gravemaker/Elena/Azalar/Ares or all yellows in the center with Guin/Delilah/Justice/Vivica. There is very, very little creativity on war defense anymore. Somehow, we need to make people set up multiple war defenses, and that will justify keeping the prep phase at 24 hours.

@Aboisso27 I think that no balanced change could avoid war’s monocolor tanks strategy in any way.

1 Like