All the problems with the Challenge Events

And I replied that I used 9 and finished advanced with team of 4*. Those 4 I spent on stage 9 were probably not necessary, I just wanted to play safe. Overall I didn’t spend that many resources. I took super heal/mana pots only to last stage and I saved half of them. For stages 1-8 I took only normal heal pots, small mana pots, arrows and small antidotes.

But yeah, making advanced harder and completion rewards worse was a bad idea. They ran previous events couple times without adjustments and bam, we get harder event with crap rewards. What were they thinking?

Btw my final advanced rank is 3200. I didn’t play for score. I probably didn’t get a single time bonus. I didn’t bother to heal at the end. I let heroes die to save potions when stage was already won. Pretty much anyone who finished all stages without continues has probably a better score. This should tell you how hard it was for majority of players or how many didn’t even bother thanks to crap reward…

1 Like

I’m agree with every point of Ellilea.
I finished all 3 tiers (i was 1086 in advanced tier after all) but the last advanced i finished only with bombs and dragons. I tried to win with my team, but i failed in spite of having wu kong etc. It wasn’t fun at all.
I often made several attempts to better my results in previous events. But in this event I didn’t want to do this at all :frowning: Too much stress and no logic in scores.

1 Like

This is a really good post and summarizes the thoughts of a lot of players I imagine. I’ve wonder from event 1 how exactly the scoring works. Why SG can’t just breakdown the scoring as opposed to giving vague allusions to what counts towards score is beyond me.

2 Likes

I acknowledge the strong fighters in the challenge event, like Zero who cleaned up all three areas.

Not to discredit the results, I believe that each player should nominate one area to participate in. My team isn’t strong enough for Advanced, but I might have a decent team for Beginner and Intermediate. I should choose between these two and once I choose, I should be locked in for the event, no switching. I see other games do this really well, to encourage top players to compete higher up, but provide opportunities for those with weaker teams to compete for some good rewards.

As the OP states, balance. This game still needs to improve in that area.

That disadvantages the “weaker” players even more. They already have no chance to compete for good placement and now they should also miss two difficulties and their respective items for finishing stage 10? Bad idea!

Not really. The end stage rewards are pretty useless. It’s more about spreading players out across the event and giving lower players a chance to compete with lower players and the same with higher players. Why should lower players compete with the top players over beginner rewards. The whole system itself needs a tweak anyway.

If you need a reference, check out Marvel Puzzle Quest. That game was able to create tiers for events effectively.

Thank you @Ellilea for making this post. It’s also good to see so many people jumping on this and providing feedback. Only downside right now is… where are all the top 10 leaderboard people commenting about the events? (Should they? I mean they reap the rewards. Probably nothing wrong).

Majority of us ( including me) are in the middle somewhere where we just dont have the “manditory heroes” that can compete with those on top, nor are we willing to waste timestops and tornados to get some crap score anyways.

I think you made it pretty clear here. Effort VS reward. You pool way too much effort for literally bare minimum treasures.

I do seriously hope the DEVs really listen up here. It’s been seriously the same problems since day one of these challenge events…

Though not to be completly just downplaying all of thier efforts, the enemies did provide a great challenge. The mix up of abilities really makes you consider who to priortize. I do hope this rumoured Season 2 can follow up with the difficulty of these challenge events, AND add some better rewards for clearing maps.

Again, @Ellilea. Thanks for writing this up! Very insightful and honest!

1 Like

I’m not a top 10 leaderboard player, but I am a late-game player, and I do have some thoughts.

The events are not for relatively new players. The map is for relatively new players. The events are for late-game players, so that there is some sort of challenge left beyond the usual grind of farming provinces and killing Titans.

And as has been extensively litigated in the forum over the last week or two, the rewards for successful event completion are not so great. Mostly, it’s just a chance to work out your team on something difficult, for a change.

The three levels provide nice variety and an added degree of difficulty; they are definitely not for new players. To rack up a good score requires fully ascended teams with multiple role redundancies coupled with a tactically savvy use of specials and items. Oh - and some luck.

So if you’re a new player, maybe go ahead and finish the map. If you’ve finished the map, then build and ascend your team. Once you’ve got double-coverage for each colour at each level, fully ascended and with complimentary specials, then we can talk about competing in the events,

But frankly, when you get to that stage then you’ll probably just appreciate the challenge and variety of something new.

4 Likes

Agreed.

Very Much agreed. My typical MO is pay for initial offer then see how far I can advance/level and how fast. After 20 it’s a grind with no rewards. I just hit level 23 and am considering scaling back to playing once a day: log it, see if a gem quest is up, burn my energy - start/auto button, rinse repeat. I cannot get the items I need to ascend my 4s from 3 to 4. My 3s are maxed and I don’t have the power to advance far enough so I am stuck. Daily summons are a joke, not even the glimmer of hope that I first had when I started. I know me, I like leveling like a madman. When the fun stops (rewards for playing) I go to once a day, then look for new games, then delete the app. Will take about a week or so for that progression - maybe a bit more as my wife is in my alliance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you use TC13’s to get more 3* (with a slight chance for more 4*)?

I ask because we may all find a deeper hero bench to be worthwhile in the upcoming Alliance Wars. Hmm…

1 Like

Realy well thought out post, Ellilea. Agree with all your points. Hope the Devs take some notice. E & P could be a great game if they listen.