Zulag – 5* Dark/ Purple - October 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

New HOTM RELEASED for October 2020: Zulag

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Zulag, as well as your thoughts on her.

If you’d like to discuss whether Zulag is appropriately balanced, or possibly in need of a buff or nerf, please see this thread instead: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Zulag

Zulag

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:new_moon:
Dark/Purple
Paladin
A
Average
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 721 843 1545
4/90 825 965 1767
Origin Family
Hero of the Month Legends 2020
Image Aether Power Description
ailment-immunity Ailment Immunity At the start of each battle, this Hero is immune to new status ailments for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:no_entry_sign: Resists: This Hero has the innate resistance against Sand damage.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Robust Ward
  • The caster and nearby allies regenerate 732 HP over 4 turns.
  • The caster and nearby allies get +46% defense for 4 turns.
  • The caster and nearby allies get +74% defense against Special Skills for 4 turns.
  • Element Link summons a Dark Minion for all Dark allies with 6% HP and 5% attack inherited from the caster.
All-In-One Reference, courtesy of @Lumi
tap on image to view it fully

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes in the same Family.

Legends 2020 Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• +10% / +15% / +20% healing.

Bonus for 2+ heroes:

• Elemental Link affects all allies.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Jun 2023 (Big Balance Update)

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no real changes to Zulag from her last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

Small bump in HP from 1431 to 1433 but this may have been a typo originally.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early information on the October 2020 HOTM (Zulag)

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Zulag?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Zulag.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Zulag and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Zulag worth summoning for?

• Would you use Zulag on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Zulag?

• What heroes would you take when facing Zulag as an opponent?

• Would you give Zulag Paladin Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of Zulag’s special?

• What do you think of Zulag’s character design?

• If you Summoned Zulag’s and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Zulag, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Zulag when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Zulag, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Zulag (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Zulag), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of HOTM.

NOTE: If you’d like to discuss whether Zulag is appropriately balanced, or perhaps in need of a buff or nerf, please see this thread instead: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Zulag

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

8 Likes

Feedback Poll - Zulag (post release)

:question: Is Zulag worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Only if you’re summoning for someone else
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Zulag would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Zulag’s Primary Purpose is?

• Healer
  • Defence Buffer

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Zulag compared to other Heroes?

Note Discuss Balance issues more here: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Zulag

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Zulag’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match her Base Stats?

Note this means her Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Zulag worth giving Paladin Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No, I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Zulag is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Zulag is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

2 Likes

since the release 5star healer heroes as hotm (rafa)…c.rigard is still unreplaceable …i dun think this one will make players replace him either…

6 Likes

My Birthday is October, this sure isn’t going to be making me spend to try get lol.
Innate ability to resist sand damage? I RARELY see heroes that deal sand damage so this is absolutely pointless, isn’t it?

15 Likes

Or conceivably, ahead of its time.

8 Likes

Wonder how this hero compares to Aeron? :thinking: Higher healing, perhaps but I prefer Aeron’s immunity against ailments part rather than more defense?

2 Likes

Defence buffs give the heal over time chance to get to work… Should be very effective.

Looks like a good HOTM to me… Defensive in nature, but hopefully not Telly level gamebreaking

6 Likes

My Malosi like this hotm pretty much.
I dont get why this hero dont have pure heal, so it wont get destroyed by Malosi, or any other dispeller in that matter.
Shame.

6 Likes

I dont know yet but this HOTM, if not for the minions, seems worse even than Aeron to me.

Aeron has a better ability. The heal is to all vs only nearby enemies, he has cleanse vs a def up. Aeron also protect against status aliments. He is squishier than Zulag but provides a higher tile damage(attack stat).

If we talk about purple healers i consider Kunchen as the top of the list followed very close by C.Rigard. The difference is that C.rig is a 4☆ and he doesnt requiere 4* mats to level

So, personally

Kunchen
C.Rig
Aeron
Zulag
Sabina until sg releases her costume.

Maybe with the time, i have to say i was wrong and both defenses up from Zulag make her a top purple healer but i dont see it

9 Likes

Slightly OT but regarding your list:

I can 100% say that I regret maxing Kunchen :rofl:

I have 2x costume Rigard, one emblemed and the other naked. I use both in wars. I do not use Kunchen… Ever… Not wars, not trials, not tournaments, not anything.

10 Likes

And you see yourself using Zulag? I think you tried her in beta? So you can have a better viw of her than me

1 Like

I don’t spend a huge amount of time testing heroes. Not really my passion and is too subjective based on personal preferences, rosters and that… Too hard to be objective.

But no, I would keep using Costume Rigard.

The main reason I like Costume Rigard so much is:

1. mana speed (average + costume bonus = level 5 mana troop to mana break)

2. cleanse. Full team cleanse is invaluable in the GTV era

3. attack buff. Just handy AF and boosts the entire team. Plus nobody “resists” it like you get from Defence Debuffs.

4. is a 4*… So Embleming is cheap. Plus as ranger class can bypass and has the mana node at #8 not at #19 or #20.

21 Likes

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Zulag worth summoning for?
    not for me. Today, there’s no scenario where I see her getting 6 tabbards.

• Would you use Zulag on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?
    maybe in paladin quest only? costume Rigard is still better for all other situations.

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Zulag?
    maybe Drake Fong and Costume Vivica. Khiona is pretty weak so Zulag could protect her a bit… Dunno. Nearby allies only healing is near to trash. A glass cannon like Elena and Magni would feel good near her but their elements and skills does not sound like a nice combo.

• What heroes would you take when facing Zulag as an opponent?
    Any yellow stack sounds enough to end her. Costume Vivica dispelling + DEF down will do a short work of her. Even Sonya/Caedmon dispelling will make her cry.

• Would you give Zulag Paladin Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?
    Nope. Even Thorne or Richard would work better.

• What do you think of Zulag’s special?
    I feel like i won’t even notice it when she fire it. If she’s a tank, honestly I’ll just kill their wings instead and 4 turns later, I’ll hit her and her flanks. She heals just like a 4* so I’m not that worried about being killed by her flanks.

• What do you think of Zulag’s character design?
    She looks good. The artwork inside the game is generally good.

She is not that bad like the dove girl and 5* healer is always a 5* healer but… IMHO she is pretty useless. For now.

9 Likes

I didn’t get Bai and I don’t mind. I won’t mind if I don’t get this one. I’m levelling Alfrike so she’s going to be my 5* purple tank. And in offense C. Rigard is just too good to be on the bench.

I disapprove that SG prenerfs all new HOTMs now. It’s not normal that a 4* hero (even with a costume) should be more appealing than a 5* one. So many 5* heroes remain unlevelled (and therefore useless unless in some early levels for the Tavern quest) just because they’re not on par with how this game works now. So they’re very hard to pull and they don’t have very good value anyway…

14 Likes

Nothing but a meatshield for the enemy to charge mana. The fact that she summons minions (and ■■■■■■ ones for that matter) willy-nilly, she’s a sitting duck to minion killers like grimble and skadi. Borderline unusable as tank at times.
Her innate skill is just laughable. Resist sand damage? Even the sand empire is able to cripple her with their minus healing.

5 Likes

Let’s hope SG doesn’t Nerf cRigard. :rofl:

5 Likes

I did two Atlantis pulls this morning and got 3* heroes: and then Zulag on the bonus draw. So, I’ve won the lottery, but I’m not overly happy with a heal-three hero. Not sure what to think of her. I usually take a healer along on raids, and a heal-three doesn’t really fill that need, and two healers is really hurting firepower. Maybe she’d be useful on Event teams where a little more healing is needed?

Now I have to decide whether to do Obakan, Quintus, or Zulag… (Currently have Sartana, Domitia, Mok-Arr, 2x cRigard).

3 Likes

I think this may be one of those “none of the above” situations.

3 Likes

Got her on my first pull of the month with 100 Atlantis coins I had around lol… not too excited about her to be honest. Costume Rigard has the HoT priority in my dark stack and even if I despearately need a new 5* dark for which I have the materials… I Don’t think she’s the one…

Edit: oof i just realized her effects are “caster and nearby heroes” well… she’ll gather some good ol dust at 1-1

4 Likes

I got one as well. She can keep Aeron company on the bench until one or both of them gets a buff. He can show her his card tricks and she can demonstrate fancy double-weapon swings.

3 Likes