Yang Mai – 5* Fire/ Red - May 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

New HOTM RELEASED for May 2021: Yang Mai

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Yang Mai, as well as your thoughts on her.

If you’d like to discuss whether Yang Mai is appropriately balanced, or possibly in need of a buff or nerf, please see this thread instead: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Yang Mai

Yang Mai

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:fire:
Fire/Red
Monk
F
Fast
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 801 821 1476
4/90 916 939 1689
Origin Family
Hero of the Month Legends 2021
Image Aether Power Description
special-boost Special Boost At the start of each turn, this Hero’s Special Skill deals an additional +30% damage for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:no_entry_sign: Resists: his hero has an innate resistance against Water Damage ( image )
:hourglass: Ability: This hero receives the following status effect on Mana Reduction:
  • The caster gets +30% attack for 3 turns.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Flaming Fury
  • Deals 310% damage to the target
  • Has a 60% chance for additional hits on random enemies up to 4 times. Additional hits deal minor damage.
  • The caster gets the following status effect for each hit:
    • Stack: The caster gets +5% attack. The maximum size of stack is 10.
  • Elemental Link gives all fire allies a small amount of mana each turn for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.
All-In-One Reference, courtesy of @Lumi
tap on image to view it fully

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes in the same Family.

Legends 2021 Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• +10% / +15% / +20% critical chance.

Bonus for 2+ heroes:

• Elemental Link affects all allies.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

August 2023

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

Yang Mai has 10% less chance to have additional hits than was seen in beta testing (60% → 50%). Otherwise there are no changes.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early information on the May 2021 HOTM -- Yang Mai

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Yang Mai?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Yang Mai.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Yang Mai and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Yang Mai worth summoning for?

• Would you use Yang Mai on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Yang Mai?

• What heroes would you take when facing Yang Mai as an opponent?

• Would you give Yang Mai Monk Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Yang Mai’s character design?

• If you Summoned Yang Mai and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Yang Mai, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Yang Mai when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Yang Mai, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Yang Mai (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Yang Mai), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of HOTM.

NOTE: If you’d like to discuss whether Yang Mai is appropriately balanced, or perhaps in need of a buff or nerf, please see this thread instead: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Yang Mai

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn & @zephyr1 for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

13 Likes

Feedback Poll - Yang Mai (post release)

:question: Is Yang Mai worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Only if you’re summoning for someone else
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Yang Mai would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Yang Mai’s Primary Purpose is?

• Damage Dealer (primary)
  • Support Damage Dealer
  • Self Attack Buffer

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Yang Mai compared to other Heroes?

Note Discuss Balance issues more here: ⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Yang Mai

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Yang Mai’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match her Base Stats?

Note this means her Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Yang Mai worth giving MonkEmblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No, I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Yang Mai is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Yang Mai is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

4 Likes

One thing I will cross-post from the original beta threads:

13 Likes

Thanks @Guvnor for your continuous work creating these, and many other threads!

I’d love to get Yang Mai, particularly because of her elemental link. She’d be a great help for my maxed Azlar and Elena, no costumes. I think my summoning luck is finished for at least a few months though. :sweat_smile:

I also hope @Muchacho can finally get a worthwhile red HOTM. :pray: He tried to get Reuben back in December, and failed.

13 Likes

So I meant to ask about this, but kept forgetting to do the research…

But isn’t attack bonus additive, not multiplicative?

So that +23% and +50% (stack) gives 1285 attack.

The L30 gives 1352.

Still huge, but not as huge. Of course, that doesn’t count the potential +30% from mana drain, which would boost those numbers to 1508 and 1575, assuming there’s not some attack cap.

Additional notes -

1. she gains stacks on special hits, not activations, so she could gain up to 5 stacks from a single special.

2. Speaking of attack caps… maybe less useful with Wu or Miki because of their explicit attack caps.

All said, I hope to get her.

5 Likes

Thanks @SamMe

I sure did. Failed hard. If I was trying to fail I’d have been a smashing success though! Glass half full (delusional).

I saw a picture online. She has great abilities and would help a lot, but I really do not enjoy the art so much on this one.

Good luck pulling for her everyone! Let the chaos begin! :laughing:

:beers:

1 Like

I’m fairly sure that it’s multiplicative seeing as troops multiply in BEFORE the battle even starts. Then buffs (and stacks) apply AFTER troops have been applied.

The chance of additional hits are 50%. Is it correct?

It’s just 50% in live.

So we have worst red misandra now, and this version evan don’t was in beta, @Guvnor you have to fix the 60% chance to 50.

Is she better than Ruben??

Disappointed to see her released in her weakest form from beta.

Beside her elemental link which will help red monos, there is nothing groundbreaking about this hero. Extra kicks are rng and won’t be there when you need them the most. That impacts her otherwise cool stack mechanic to be incidental.

She may be a bit fun to play, but I don’t see a spot for her in my red monos, not to mention any rainbow squad where her mana ability gets useless…

Anyways, would be cool to get her, have over 20 rings and she may get a set, who knows.

15 Likes

I think Yang Mai is still overall better than Misandra. Except for the skill damage multiplier, this HOTM has better stats, has still better chance of additional hits, undispellable small mana generation over time, and has immunities.

I don’t understand this. The current version was not in beta? Didn’t @Guvnor always warn us that not everything in beta is final and may be subjected to changes when released in the live game:

5 Likes

I do believe this live version with 50% chance Yang Mai made it into a later beta test. The original beta beat post must not have been updated a third time. Sorry I did not see that or would’ve poked @Guvnor to update.

Fyi scrolling through the comments now. Nobody appreciated the 50% chance. 60% seemed acceptable and several posts requesting a balance change to increase Misandra to a similar %.

So it can hit the same target up to 5 times ? From the first skill?

Just got her, got mixed feelings. :thinking:
She can hit same target with up to 5 times.

In beta her original release was pretty well received but they nerfed her 2x despite protests and now she comes out at 50% which I don’t recall in beta but it might have gone that low. I have to go check beta lounge. But we didn’t ask for this at all. Scary thing is july has a decent balanced hotm we all like but they will likely need it like his one. People did say with her misandra needs a buff but didn’t ask for a Nerf for her. Sg logic go figure…

Edit yes in March they dropped her to 50 and there are about 30 posts complaining about it. She was much better in first form then still decent in second but b march she was his mess and they closed discussion. Next months green got very little testing no changes I recall and yellow June was only out once and she is pretty well liked but June is far away in sg terms.

10 Likes

She needs to be put back to 60%. at 50%, she just seems to be a slightly stronger version of Misandra

2 Likes

Sorry she was in beta and on this form just I forgot it, but again on this form she not was nothing special , and yes misandra now it’s better than yang mai and misandra it’s one of the weakest hero in the game.

Pulled her this morning. Was super excited and then after reading this I realized that 50% isn’t going to level up with her skill. Now I’m super disappointed. 50% just ain’t the same as 60%.

2 Likes