Wu Kong needs a new haircut (NERF WK?)

I don’t think the monkey should be nerfed. Right now, using him is a certain risk but “he who doesn’t risk, doesn’t drink champagne”. Anyone who uses Wu Kong for titans or raids, has not only high scores but also horror stories to tell about. I’ve had Wu Kong spectacularly miss about 80-90% of tiles in a big avalanche. For the titans on the higher end of the spectrum (fighting 10* right now) he’s also very squishy and unless you keep him alive with items, there’s a higher than average chance he won’t survive long enough to pop. If he were nerfed, there’s a high chance he would become unusable. He’s good as he is right now.

3 Likes

If he was a HotM/event hero I would agree, but he’s just a 4* that anyone can get.

I would say HotM/event heroes offer a far greater advantage because HotM are unattainable once they’re gone and event heroes are extremely difficult to get unless you spend for x10 pulls. Even then, you’re at the mercy of luck.

The whole point of Wu is that he offers that reward for being lucky enough to get him. If they were to make an item to basically replace him then they should just remove him from the game. What would be the point of “gamblers stance” if every single user was just using items to get the same effect?

I don’t have Wu yet but I see no problem with him. I wish there were more heroes with unique abilities, if anything.

2 Likes

th

2 Likes

Excellent contribution joe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Importantly, the proposed item is not as effective as WK. It would certainly need balanced to ensure it isn’t as good as WK in essentially any circumstance, but still useful overall. This is possible to balance it as such… but it seems most people feel strongly that no adjustment or change is required - for various reasons :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not only he’s squishy, but also becomes much worse against 11* titans and above, because if you get missed tiles on the weak point, even a single one, your move might fail to stun him, and these titans hit really hard. So many times I sent cascades down the weak point only to miss some of the tiles and he would still kill my other heroes because of that.

2 Likes

Coming here from my own topic/poll about Wu Kong, my only comment from your topic and initial post is that I do not believe in the nerfing of any characters in any game after about two weeks have passed.

That is more than enough time for players and attentive developers to recognize and correct flaws or accidents (such as accidentally giving a hero an ADH of 800 / 0 / 1300). After months, though, any hero, no matter how unfair its advantage may seem, is an established character in the game that people have come to embrace or reject. It should not be regularly tweaked just to make some annoyed players happy because it then makes a new group of players unhappy.

4 Likes

That… is a very interesting mindset.

I think it’s gotta be specific to this game type however.

I’m playing a Turn based strategy where balance is literally an ongoing discusssion… one point of attack or defense is debated constantly by a group of the top players. We discuss the effect of a point of mobility that would only impact random fringe scenarios… and about twice a year tiny updates are made in an ever present effort to achieve balance ;p

Of course here… balance is something else. And any discussion of changes to characters in an adventure RPG CCG absolutely need to be framed within that context.

Still, even considering that context, I don’t agree with you that changes shouldn’t be made because players get attached. I think the health and balance of the game have to take precedent.

Now, my proposed concern isn’t exactly black and white. There appears to be no consensus that WK is actually a balance concern. But I think if there were an agreement by top players and developers, it’d be a very poor decision to not enact a change in some way.

Anywho. Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

The other banners work the same as Kiril and Boldtusk, but with a lesser effect. Kiril and Boldtusk are both considered desirable and superior to the banner, but not everyone has them… it’s the exact same principle.

1 Like

Give every character the exact same amount of power, defense, strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. Voila, perfect balance achieved! :rofl:

You’ve got an over abundance of creative juices flowing there…

Let’s just agree that we don’t agree, eh?

It was a joke. So, certainly. :smiley:

@Duaneski I got an epic hero token from a purple chest (double checked the token :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and pulled the monkey lord himself!

So now my position is…no nerfing, no item, reduce the miss factor and free bananas for everyone!!!

6 Likes

Wu is the ugliest darn toon in the whole kit. Makes Gormek look dreamy. Just sayin a haircut isn’t going to cut it.
ahem.

Either way, I’ve seen people learn to be successful without him and feel that the highs/lows may be offset by a better average score. I’m just not strong enough to NOT use him :slight_smile: No nerf needed. Also? I’ve heard that Greg’s crit chance makes him a “Rich person’s Wu Kong”… any truth to that?

2 Likes

I am not a rich person :disappointed:

ForsakenEarnestGlowworm-size_restricted

Yea Neither am I. I try to limit my spending (<70 bucks so far in 8 months) and gave a good 10-15 total tries for Greg. No luck. No HOTM at all, actually. But many in my alliance have 1,2 or 5 of those dudes… Not jealous but man RNG is cruel.

1 Like

I can’t complain, my wishlist was a yellow, a dispelled, a Pulveriser and Wu.

I got all of them in the last month, either tc13 or free tokens :grinning:

Just need a few more gloves…and then an attacking blue and I’ll be satisfied… promise!

1 Like

I was just happy to pull a Sartana from TC20. Meanwhile one of my “Rich” friends has only pulled Quintus & Thorne after 4 months.:slight_smile:

Wu Kong really is the difference maker on any titan attack team. Before I was lucky enough to train him from my tc20 I was averaging 10k - 17K vs 6* titans. Now with Wu, an att buffer, and a def debuffer I’m avg 40k -50k. It’s just insane the difference he can make to a team. For a long time I didn’t believe he would make much of a difference because of the miss chance, but now I’m hoping everyday that others in my alliance can pull Wu too, so we can start smashing even more powerful titans.

2 Likes

There are few types of heroes in this game: snipers, healers, aoe damagers and tanks. They all are same(±). Wu (and few others) is another hero. Thats interesting. So… i like him.

I’d say that this is the logical solution, as it would block the call for nerfs.

WK needs tweaking for balance, as he’s a neccesity on titans. The only hero with similar neccesity (but not even then so neccesary as WK!) is Guin for tanking.

But tweaking WK would destroy the meta, so every Titan would need to be nerfed (letting people all drop down 1-2 levels of Titans is a BAD, BAD idea for customer appreciation). Clearly that would bring a whole range of balancing risks, which seems rather painful for both SG as players.

So let’s not tweak WK and accept his mechanism, but create alternatives.

• add a 4 star (needs to be reasonable easy to obtain otherwise it’s not helping)purple (seems the weakest color?) hero with the same ability.
  • add a 5 star hero with a bit more survivability and a similar utility (Tarlak stacks with WK, so is not exactly a replacement). This 5 star should be HOTM/Event, considering I firmly believe 5 star heroes should be extra scarce or this game will get stale deadlocked vey soon. That will mean I might never get that hero (simply not a big spender), but that’s how it is.

[quote=“DJQuixo, post:53, topic:30955, full:true”]
Either way, I’ve seen people learn to be successful without him and feel that the highs/lows may be offset by a better average score

Mathematically impossible. Adding Wu Kong will always up your average… that’s how math works. Just like adding a crit buff or attackskill buff works.Even if WK gives a bit of randomness, in the end you will always come up higher.

So people getting same scores as you simply means they need stonger heroes to make up for their huge disadvantage. You can not learn to magic a higher average contrary to math :wink:

I’m just not strong enough to NOT use him :slight_smile: No nerf needed. Also? I’ve heard that Greg’s crit chance makes him a “Rich person’s Wu Kong”… any truth to that?

False.

Reason is simple: They stack. Anyone using Greg and putting WK on the bench is an utter fool. You use both for max effect. Same with Tarlak/Ares/BT. You don’t drop WK when you add in one of them… you use all of them together for max effect.