Worst Update Empires and Puzzles has released v30 #nospend

I think many of the whales are already bored with the GM/Telly/Vela situation. And I think many of them are already quitting out of boredom or frustration anyway. The common theory is that, once people have everything in the game, they’re going to get bored and quit regardless. This is already happening.

Of course, currently? The old whales are simply being replaced by new whales. And that process will continue for as long as it is sustainable, rinse and repeat over and over again.

What I’m asking for is not for every player to have easy access to every hero and to be able to level them up in a day. But I’ve been playing for going on 22 months, spent over $100 USD on the game… not only do I still not have most of the good heroes in the game, but I still can’t even finish all of the ones that I do have. Doubling the odds would give me more stuff to do, as well as more things to get excited about, and more incentive to spend… but at the end of the day, I’d still be far behind the whales.

And for that matter - why should the whales have to spend thousands of dollars to get where they’re at, anyway? Shouldn’t hundreds of dollars be more than enough? I mean, many people here like to act like E&P is the greatest thing since sliced bread… I have to wonder how many of them have actually played real video games before. Those who are under this ridiculous belief that it must cost hundreds of millions of dollars to create and maintain this game, and that the F2P should be eternally thankful that the whales are footing the bill for us?

The reality is that this game is bringing in far more revenue than it costs them to produce, update, and maintain it. Their profit margin at this point is probably well over 1000%. That’s not to say it’s not a “fun game”… it obviously is, or else we wouldn’t be playing it. But this idea that it would somehow be “less fun” if lower spenders had a slightly better chance to summon top heroes, or that the game would suddenly go bankrupt overnight if the whales stopped dropping tens of thousands of dollars apiece on it? No, sorry, I don’t buy that for one second.

And if the game would automatically become “boring” if it weren’t entirely based on RNG P2W metrics? That doesn’t really say much for the game itself, does it? My goal certainly isn’t to just have a GM/Telly/Vela combo. I’d prefer to test out different varieties against that combo. Maybe they increase the odds a bit and I pull a Guinevere. I’ll throw that up as tank. Not going to sit around and wait for the 1 in a billion chance of pulling a Gravemaker or Telly. But as it stands now? I have almost no chance of pulling any of them without dropping hundreds of dollars on the game.

Believe it or not, there were many hundreds of successful games that existed before E&P that didn’t rely on RNG gacha models to be successful… games where every player had the same odds of getting all the same stuff, as long as they were skilled enough and grinded long enough. And people played those games for years. Pretty sure many people are still playing those games to this day. So this whole idea that the only way a game can be “fun” is by dividing us up into groups based on what heroes we can afford / what heroes we’re lucky enough to get… I’m sorry, I just don’t accept that premise.

6 Likes