Why field a weak war team?

You have to bring them here! To US (sinister voice) for indoctrination!!

Seriously however, we will help them out with that misguided belief!

Isn’t it always the way?

I’m usually somewhere in the top 5 of ours, sometimes even the top (to my own surprise), and yes, I do hit the highest team I think I stand a chance against. A one-shot is great, but knocking the tank out will do. As my roster is still a work in progress, the highest etc becomes lower and lower as the war goes on :wink:

It is.

On titans, I average somewhere around 45k per hit. Most of my alliance mates average around 15k per hit.

Titan killed. My score: A+. My loot: leaf, rope, wood, 2 gems.

Someone else in my alliance - score C. Their loot: compass, royal tabard, hidden blade.

:laughing:

Hey… that’s cool though. More stuff to help them catch up to me so that I’m not always carrying most of the weight.

3 Likes

Your war score gives added weight to your best five heroes, I think one from each colour (ie rainbow) so using a weaker team actually puts you at a disadvantage compared to your war score. You are matched against alliances with comparable war scores so unless your opponent also uses weaker defense you are already playing catch-up. Are you better off presenting a weaker defense that your opponent can defeat easier while you have to defeat stronger teams on their side?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been arguing the point, 1 flag per opponent then move on. Lots of teamates wants the glory of using 3 flags on taking a weaker team.

well im 50/50 on the weaker teams on defense argument i tried the weak defense teams to best defense teams and doing it for 5 wars my team was 5-0 when i put a weak defense and attack the best defense the problem i have on my team is that people sign up for wars and don’t play…we should never have 6 flags not used but you know a war happening and also it more frustrating when they attack the titan but don’t move one tab to fight in the war… now when i put my best defensive team i was 2-3 and exactly lost a war cause they beat my defense in the last 10 mins so it’s 50/50… so i don’t think im putting anybody under a bus if i got for the best teams and wreck them… now if i was going for weak teams just to get points understandable… but me personally im always going for the 4k team on offense…

Your losses when you field a strong defense is probably due to poor participation, bad luck, facing a better team, or a combination of those. Vice-versa for when you field a weak defense and win. Fielding your best defense is always the best play.

1 Like

This was one of the opponents in our recent war. All other teams were around 4500 to 4750 total power.

As stated above, this strategy is stupid. But in addition to stupid, it’s really annoying and a total troll move. I want to enjoy participating in war but also have time constraints. When it is time for bed and I won’t have time in the morning to use my war flags AND I have 1 flag left and that’s the only team remaining, it’s sucks.

I know that other alliance is going to get off when they read this post because that is their only goal, to screw over people, to troll.

SG should ban that. If an alliance rolls that out they should be able to get reported. Or set some sort of floor on team power as a percentage of your total possible power of your highest power team. Say 40% or so. Five unleveled 1s with five unleveled 1 troops. Thats more than a bad strategy. That’s poor sportsmanship.

1 Like

Wouldn’t even say that. There are a lot of people who think that this is a valid strategy that will give you an advantage. Just look in the forum how many people are complaining, that this is unfair and favors the team using it.
Even in my own alliance some people wanted one of our newer members to use a weak defense because that will work in our favor. It used a lot of time and some examples to show that using a weaker defense won’t gain us anything and in reality if the opponent knows how to counter is even a disadvantage.

So I wouldn’t be to harsh with my conclusion about others using that strategy, there are for sure a lot who don’t see it as trolling but really think it gives them an advantage.

There are one situation, where this actually can be “smart” move. So

1. Your defence team is weaker than other defences in war and is oneshot everytime anyways. Then it might be good idea to get it be worth as few points than it’s possible.

But that only is true, if you are playing agaist ally, which needs to waste really good team agaist that team.

2 Likes

You’re right. I’ll agree that it isn’t (or may not be) a troll move.

It’s still poor sportsmanship. And SG should ban it.

Also, we gonna destroy the other alliance so I guess it didn’t work this time.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it is poor sportsmanship when it benefits the attacking alliance. We have a number of members who don’t have great rosters, having the opponent put up a couple of gimme defenses like that is great. Everyone concentrates on getting points with the other defenses, and leave those gimme defenses for those 5 and 6th attack teams, or weaker members.

BTW, this strategy almost never works.

1 Like

Doesn’t work like that

If you are one shot every time they always “waste” one strong team against you.
There are now 2 differences when you use a weaker team.

1. The others are now worth more points but aren’t stronger. So if they kill only the other teams the first two times the board flips they will get more points with the same number of attacks.
    (the other teams are exactly the same, so there is no difference, if they need 34 attacks to kill the remaining 29 teams when you field a strong team they will also need 34 attacks if you field a weak team but get more points for their 34 attacks)

2. The weakest opponent can use his weakest team to kill 5 unleveled 1* heroes after the 3rd flip, you can’t fail against such teams, whereas if you field your strongest possible there is always the risk someone fails.

We are at the moment playing war with 20 people, 19 times full lvled 5* with high troops and emblems and one team with one 4* and 4x3*, the best she can use. Last war someone with nearly 4800 Tp and the whole defense team something better than S1 needed 2 tries to kill. Can always happen.

You can also prove that mathematically, the bigger the difference from the average points a team is worth the bigger the theoretical possible advantage someone can have if they let the team with the fewest points live the first 2 times they flip the board.

1 Like

That’s why I wrote that it also would require all of the opponents have 30+ 5* and good teams to use. Like us. We had one opponent, who put one team like that and yes it was waste team for taking it down. Most of those could have take even oneshots from full 5* teams.

We are playing with 30+ 5* range so for us. It’s waste 19 points is less than most big cleans. And I don’t even mean using 4* take that team down. For us it meant wasting 5* to that team.

Yes but you always “waste” this team. You wouldn’t use another team if the weak team was a little bit stronger but you gain more points from every other team you kill when there is a weak team on the field

2 Likes

Yes, but if your defence is worth 19 points it’s less than half of other teams. So every time you hit that you will waste one attack. Most don’t play in level where every attack team is good. So let’s assume there is someone in field with just s1 5* full blems and couple of slow. Every attacking team, what other team would have is strong enough to take it down by oneshot and also very likely to succeed and you only need to use your worst team agaist that team.

Fielding that 1* defence, which is worth 19 points means wasting attack to get 30 points less than, what your team would normally get.

I don’t think, you get what I’m trying to say. We faced one team, what did that and it’s because they had one player, which seemed little behind.

1 Like

So is better for your defence team to give 250 points with 5 attacks or give 60 points with 3 attacks, if it’s always going to be oneshot anyways?

It doesn’t matter that those other teams are worth couple points more.

But yet again that is very situational, since most times in that level non of those defence teams are that weak.

1 Like

:point_up_2:this is the right answer

For lower alliances that have a new player on their team. Everyone else fields their strongest defense.
And only that ONE player loads up feeder heroes…

Then an enemy has to burn a flag for bonus points +1.
The result usually is the new guy’s team getting hit last :wink::+1:

It is not a top tier strategy…
But effective for the weakest team mate
in lower/mid war

If multiple players do it, then you just add more points on to the bonus and begin decaying the effect

Yes, but they are sadly mistaken. Redistributing points to other team members doesn’t make them stronger. As with all wars, fight the valid targets first and leave that one until last for the flip. Most alliances have lower level members who can do this job.
Imo, the best strategy is to use your best credible defense team (as determined by the war rule).