Why do they pick on Proteus?

I use him in color stack, so his high attack is still useful even when he die. Anyway, I don’t think the AI specifically target him, based on my experience, he sometimes become the last one standing.

i love proteus, been two days set him (accidentaly) and he help me gain my trophy w/o I have to do raids :laughing: and help me done the last event quest, good hitting on titan… he even not max yet, I put him beside gadeirus (my team r squishy but I’m glad I have him)

1 Like

But moderators who ask soft-ball questions to Game Developers (not to a technical developer, mind you, but to the game designer whose background is in art) will tell you: Small Giant swears it’s all random… and that the hardest part is convincing you it’s random…

; )

1 Like

Sorry, we didn’t ask that about the AI. The boards are random; the AI is not. And I agree with @Ian487 that the AI seems to be getting smarter. I had a Vivica on wing in a war battle—not exactly a soft target, considering I had both Buddy and Hansel in that battle, but she was my sole healer. All foes focused on her, and she was the only fatality (fortunately).

5 Likes

Is there any data out there about the AI? Or theories that are plausible about who is targeted and why?

2 Likes

There is no reliable data regarding how the AI targets heroes when fighting in raids. Only confirmation bias from other players which isn’t very reliable:

I have experienced seeing my squishy Melendor mowed down by enemy attacks over the course of 3 continuous turns where he was the only target… but I have also seen raids where my Lancelot revives with 1 HP, and the enemy leaves him alone to pick on full health Khiona instead…

So I think it’s honestly just RNG when it comes to the AI attacking.

4 Likes

Without a robust data set, I’d agree.

People notice when Wu or Proteus are targeted because you can base a whole strategy on them and they get one-shotted easily.

3 Likes

Just empiric observation based on thousands of raids… But, imho, AI is considerably smarter than it was last august when I started to play. The funny part is that auto farming is just as dumb as it ever was…

1 Like

I have to look away for auto farm :rofl:

4 Likes

If at all, not very :wink:

• commits suicide on reposte
  • hits corner with nearby fighter
  • attacks high lp instead of lowest
  • attacks high lp charged healer
  • fires every special immediately
  • hits several instead of killing one

But are you guys sure, that cpu fires from left to right? I could swear, cpu buffed with flank before hitting with the left corner sniper.

I don’t know if this changed in V20 but as I understand the order of operations for the AI is:

1. Check if hero talent activates (such as revive or companion)
  2. Check hero health (if all are dead, results in victory)
  3. Check if any special skills can be used, starting from left
  4. Repeat 2 & 3 until no specials can be used
  5. Check if any regular attacks can be used
  6. Check hero health again (in case of riposte countering for e.g.)

At least this is the basic order I noticed, not counting the bugs and issues that were addressed or are to be addressed (invisible heroes, etc).

So the only way for CPU to buff before attacking with a special skill out of this order, would be if they somehow modified the order of operations to use passive buffing skills first. The other thing that would make sense if the order is still the same, is if the passive buff was a revive, or if it cleansed a hero from Silence ailment.

1 Like

I am more interested in how it decides which of my heoes to target (with both normal and special attacks) My experience is that it can be very stupid in this regard, but it does feel like certain heroes are more likely to be targeted (but the likelihood of confirmation bias is quite high)

1 Like

I find that the AI seems to target either Proteus or Hansel (only 4stars I use in my attack team) much more often then the 5stars in my lineup. I’d say about 1/2 the time I loose an attacker to the AI its the 4star vs the other 1/2 the time its one of the 4 other 5 stars.

1 Like

My guess is that the AI has a preference for choosing heroes based on certain characteristics: health, mana fill, healers. But that only tilts some random selection. Can’t be strictly deterministic, or else all of Delilah’s minions would be aiming at the same target, which doesn’t happen.

1 Like

Then finally I have done the last stage. Thanks again to Mr. Proteus :wink:

The AI just targeted and kill my Sonya (who have better stamina than Proteus/Grimm), instead of Proteus/Grimm.

I don’t know why the AI pick Sonya in the first place, but the fact that after she got hit, the AI seems to targeting her, it looks like the AI have slightly higher probability (still RNG based which explain why sometimes they don’t and hit randomly) to attack target with lowest remaining stamina.

I have this very same feeling, that poor Proteus gets attacked a lot more than the rest of team. Usually (at least to me) it seems that the AI uses specials on the “dangerous” colours for that particular hero - if I go up against Leonidas, he will attack Kunchen no matter his health or mana. Marjana tends to burn Frida even if a half dead fully charged Elk is standing next to her.

But when I bring the protopod, he’s the target for both specials and normal attacks (the latter otherwise appears random to me). Admittedly I do build my strategy around Proteus when I bring him - use him to go up against much stronger teams - but still!

Bring along some family members to boost his defense.

I do love Proteus, he got me through Springvale. I have two Proteus on one profile and hope to get one on my other one soon.

Question: is there ever a time that I’d take two Proteus on a team?

1 Like

Why? A single one can control all bosses. A second one would block a place to kill or to keep him alive, even while raiding.

But cool for wars to have a second Proteus.

3 Likes