Why do the 'hit 3' heroes always target the enemy in the flank?

Like the subject line states, why do the ‘hit 3’ heroes always target the enemy flank? Makes auto-farming a tad difficult.

Been wondering about this for quite a while but thought of posting today.

Attached video of Dr. Moreau while farming. Dr. M mostly hits the enemy in the flank position (unless the central enemy is picked).
Is this a bug?

It is hit by nearbly, so if auto-play, AI is based on RNG, it means it can target on center or other opponents (left/right) side.

2 Likes

I understand that but ideally the AI should maximize the hero’s damage & hence, if ‘hit 3’, should hit one of the guys in the centre. My point

It’s all RNG. That’s the downside of autoplay. Since there are 3 enemies, odds are it will hit the “wrong” one 66% of the time. That allows for a lot of bad luck in a row to show up.

3 Likes

While we all know that it is RNG, that AI used to make that choice of how to deploy : Hit target & nearby becoming a hit-2 or 3.

For auto-play farming, I use hit all heroes & it works out fine…

Isn’t the AI’s, uh, lack of intelligence why the defense team receives +20% to stats?

True, I think there is no ‘intelligence gathering’ in the programming.
AI is supposed to learn how the player plays & play accordingly (match the individual’s style).
This is just ‘match 3’ programming (in layman terms).
Other areas - always exploding dragon heads, missing diamond formation, etc etc
AI is just the latest buzzword being bandied for poor programming

My advice is don’t look at yah phone when yah auto play… Have sound up just enough so you knoe the stage is over… If your looking at your phone you might aswell play really… as Al missing diamond combo… hero’s usings specials when a mob has low heath… Hit 3 will hit the lone on the corner it will drive yah nuts :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Almost posted a new topic, then found this one…

Not sure if it’s always been this way, but I don’t think the AI targeting is pure RNG. That is, I feel like heroes on defense may take HP or mana charge into account when targeting (please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’d be surprised if it’s truly random).

That being said, it seems like some basic logic could be implemented and improved over time, especially around “hit 3” and “target + nearby” heroes. Seems pretty basic to avoid hitting edges, or maybe get a little more sophisticated and allow edges when avoiding a riposte, for example. No issues with tile selection being sub-optimal on auto, but target selection could be easily improved and that would (I assume) benefit defenses too.

1 Like

Deciding the target randomly gets the job done. The problem with “basic logic” is that it’s really dependent on understanding the situation and adapting to it. They don’t want to program that into the game. I can think of situations, like avoiding reflect damage, where a 3-hit hero would want to target the flank. The game can’t make too many choices like that. Random is fine.