WHY do players get rewarded for not taking part?

I only participated in weekend wars for a few weeks in November/December, and opted out of midweek wars. No points for the war chest or loot from the wars I opted out of; normal points and loot for opted in wars. That is how I think the system is supposed to work, so the initial claim they did get points to their war chest when opted out is different to my own experience.

I’ve never gotten a point in my titan chest if I didn’t hit the titan.
Titan chests are tied to the player,war chests to the alliance.

Edit- I could be wrong about titan chest points, I’ll say I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a point for missing.

4 Likes

Actually looking at the SGG gameplay help for once:

1. Titan chests are tied to the player. You only get credit for titan kills you participated in. The chest follows you from alliance to alliance but there is a 12-hour cool-down period when you switch where you don’t get credit for the titan. There is also a 20-hour period when you switch of reduced titan loot from the kill.

2. Alliance war chests are tied to the alliance. Points are added to one chest for war results and players share the loot in the chest based on participation once the chest is filled. There is not one war chest per person.

7 Likes

Hm… it would seem to imply something strange for the war chest.

Supposef an alliance was on 20/25 for the war chest, a new player joins the alliance, alliance wins their war, this new player should get war chest loot?

This is confusing. :thinking:

The way I understand the war chest, the degree of loot earned is equal to your percentage of participation. If you only participated in 60% of of wars, then your loot quality/quantity will match

1 Like

If the new player opted in to the last war – and I believe used at least one flag – then (s)he would be eligible for a 20% share (5/25 of the points).

3 Likes

I can also confirm with an alt that the alliance war points are tied to the alliance and the percentage of participation largely determines the rewards you get when the chest is opened. The lower tiers of war chest loot are not worth getting upset about, as a monster chest is far more rewarding.

Yes, the participation percentage is calculated:
participation rate = (total war points accumulated in wars you participated in) / 25

So if a new player joins the alliance with a chest at 24/25 and participates in a loss, they will open the chest with 1/25 = 4% participation, which is likely nothing or maybe a common herb or wooden sword. If the alliance wins, they will get the same reward, but will have earned 4 points on the new chest.

EDIT:
Also, as noted by others, I have never received credit for a a titan kill that I did not use a flag on. However, I think you get credit if you use a flag and score a 0 because you still used a flag on it.

3 Likes

That makes sense. Though the case I was considering is where the player is not opted into the war as Ozy1 begins this discussion with. The claim or observation they make is a player not opted into war still gets the war chest points.

For alliance war this makes sense too, as the player has participated (thus opted in).

I can only imagine there was either a bug/glitch with what Ozy1 suggests happened with war or misremembered what happened. A possible scenario might be as follows: player intends to opt out of next two wars, but forgets. They ‘participate’ in next two wars (no flag usage), but still awarded war chest points corresponding to how well the alliance did (win, lose or draw). Due to not using flags for two wars, the system automatically removes the player from war. Player returns to game and opts back in for war.

Whether this is true I have no idea. :laughing:

The points are awarded to the chest regardless of what status a player is in. The only thing the player controls by opting out is if they are rewarded participation for the points put in the chest. Let’s use an example similar to the one you posed.

A war chest is at 19/25, and the player in question needs to opt out of the next 2 wars after using flags in all of the wars that contributed to those 19 points. The alliance wins one and loses one with the player opted out. Thus, the chest is activated for all players in the alliance. Our player who opted out will open the chest, but only received the rewards based on a participation rate of 19/25 = 76%. Meanwhile, that player’s alliance mates who were active in all wars will open the chest with 25/25 = 100%.

I’m pretty sure that 76% is a lesser tier of rewards, and the player that opted out will be sorely disappointed in the loot (I know I was when I had to opt out of a few wars). It’s not like there are freebies being handed out; in fact, just the opposite is true. It sucks when 1.5 - 2 weeks of effort is devalued because of one’s real life commitments for a couple of wars. Especially since you were doing the alliance a favor for opting out. You could have just as easily opted in, used 1 flag, and still been at 100% participation (to the chagrin of your teammates). That’s the real travesty in my opinion.

Edit:
I’m fairly certain that you have to use 1 flag in order to get credit for participating. There is no display of the points where you participated except for when you open the chest and it displays the participation rate. The only thing displayed for the war chest is how close it is to opening, so there’s no way to monitor your progress except for memory.

I stopped participating in wars for a few months because I couldn’t guarantee being available on Saturdays and when my war chest hit 25, it had 0 rewards in it.

I also do not get rewards for titans I did not attack, though I generally miss at most 1 titan a week due to timing. I log in usually in the mornings and only sometimes in the evenings, some of the weaker titans my alliance can kill in under 14 hours which means there are definitely days that they get summoned and I don’t see them.

Since the war chest is alliance-wide it gets points for every war result. In the case of the war chest you have to avoid thinking individually. The player does not get points towards the war chest, the alliance as a whole does. What the player gets is a participation rating based on how many wars they were opted in for (and presumably, or maybe hopefully, used at least one flag). So if you were opted ion for wars that earned 15 of the 25 points you get a 60% share of the loot available. If you were opted in for all 25 points you get a 100% share.

For titans, you should only get credit for the titan if you actually hit it.

Maybe @Petri can verify that my reasoning here is correct.

Exactly. If you think about it, the % participation is calculated by a part/whole fraction math problem where the numerator represents the number of points accumulated in a war that the individual player opted in on and the denominator represents the total number of points accumulated from all wars going towards the chest.

But as someone mentioned earlier, you can be opted in, not use any flags, and it will count towards the War Chest as if you participated. Therein lies the concern from the OP.

But you can also be opted out and the war chest will still gain points since it’s an alliance war chest and not a player war chest. The difference is in the participation credit you earn towards the loot when it opens.

So you individually do not get rewarded for not taking part.

Right, but OP’s qualms are with alliance members, who are opted in and collect on participation percentage even though they don’t use any War flags. The % participation is dictated by the wars opted in vs total wars for the Chest.

Yes, and we need clarification from the powers that be (read SGG – @Petri ) on whether they ned to use at least one flag to earn any participation.

I recall reading that that was the case but I could be wrong.

I cannot find an official statement on whether you need to make 1 attack to count as ‘participated’, but it seems to be mentioned that way in a few posts I’ve found.

This is from months and months ago. In my previous alliance, we had someone opted into the war but use no flags. They reported that it did NOT count towards their % participation in the war chest.

1 Like

This is clearer now, and makes some sense to me. Most of the responses I see have been about the quality of loot from the war chest, which isn’t where the difficulty (for me) lies.

So conceivably someone can join an alliance, never participate in wars, still see the war chest points go up, open it at 25/25 but not have any loot. Correct?

That would be correct from what I understand.

If that is correct, then I think it is utterly daft. :laughing:

My hazy memory tells me that when I opted out, the war chest points didn’t change regardless of how my alliance did. While the others opened their war chests and mentioned what loot they received, I had to participate in a couple more to open mine. Ah, well…