Who is getting reasonable AW matches?

My alliance is getting consistently slaughtered in the recent incarnations of top 30/top 5 matching. I know I’m not the only one; @Rook has had a similar experience, and there are plenty of others with similar complaints.

I also believe the devs when they say that their statistics show this matching algorithm is better than the ones that preceded it. (This is even true for us, although we went from blowout wins to blowout losses)

Anybody care to speak up if they have different experiences? Surely some of you are getting fair matches, or maybe some of you are getting easy wins.

If we can figure out what is different, maybe we can help SG fix it!

2 Likes

We are having good matchups for more than a month now.

1 Like

We went from getting butchered every time to having close wins or close losses. The matchups seem a lot fairer to us as an alliance now.

1 Like

We went from -1000 losses to a +500 win, but I’m not convinced that the Aug 3 change to scoring actually impacted matchmaking. Hmm.

Testing some balancing changes for the next war - August 3rd

1 Like

We’ve got ~+1000 points for last month. Opponents mostly have no strategy, but score difference is too high for me.

1 Like

We’re still getting matched with alliances whose average defense team is 400+ points higher than ours. They’ve gotten closer though. Through active participation and coordination, we’re losing by around 500 instead of 2000+

I group wars into 3 sets:

1. Initial release - Matching based on alliance scores. My alliance won 90% of these. Fun for us but I’m guessing not for our opponents.

2. Dev ‘testing’ phase - Total annihilation. Every. Single. Time.

3. After the last release - Our matches have been mostly fair. We’ve had more wins than losses, but the majority have been very close. Our closest was losing by 2 points. We’ve had 2 blowouts but our opponents had issues both times (Hard to win when your 2 top players leave mid-war :astonished:). I often find us paired with alliances where we are completely outnumbered in the 3k+ team range. We typically are able to overcome this as our war benches appear to be deeper.

Overall, the matches have been more fair since the release. This does seem to be at odds with many posts I’ve seen on the forum, but that’s what we’re seeing.

1 Like

My alliance’s(rank: 224) war stats:

August 4: +630
August 1: +529
July 28: Lost Data (LOSS)
July 25: Lost Data (WIN)
July 21: +83
July 18: +181
July 14: +1263 (against a French alliance during WC final)
July 11: +689
July 7: -313
July 4: -230
June 30: -635
June 27: +52
June 23: +1100
AW dev break
June 13: +266
June 10: +268
June 6: -77
June 2: +1
May 30: +296
May 27: -177

Just started tracking alliance score pre-war, but don’t have enough data yet.

My experience has been that the matchups have been good. I’m never feeling over/under-powered going into the war. Maybe matchups are better near where our alliance ranks.

2 Likes

How do we factor in skill and strategy in here?

My alliance for example is ranked somewhere from 105-160 but we beat teams in the top 100 and we do have losses but close ones.

I see player line ups that should score around 300 in the new scoring system but only manage to get 200 or less. I see players that should only score 200 but with better skill and strategy score far more than they should.

For some reasons our alliance wins pretty much all the time (touches wood), might be luck, i dont know. Still need to learn more about the match up mechanics. Heard they take up 30 heroes of each players and match it up. Is it by heroes live values? Or base value? Not sure.

Would alliances responding to this post add a couple of details, for instance what is your alliance score. OKAY, I KNOW THEY AREN’T USING THAT as a matching tool but it may add more information to the discussion. Also, what type of mix is your alliance?

When the wars first started we had great, fair and competitive matches. After the first and second update we’ve been placed with MUCH stronger alliances EVERY time. The best we can hope for is to come close, and we have several times (still a loss though).

Our alliance is between 95k and 97k. We have 20 teams over 3000 and 10 teams below 3000. We are always matched with alliances with over 25 or more teams well above 3000.

I just can’t understand why sheer randomness doesn’t let us be the stronger alliance just once In 22 wars?

Ours is sitting between 80-85K and we are usually matched with alliances whose score is 90-100K.
We have players from level 7-43, and defense teams between 1400-3900.
We have only one player (me) who raids in diamond, 6 who generally raid in platinum, 10ish in gold, 6ish in silver and the rest under 600 cups.
We nearly always have 100% participation, but many of our lower level players have only 1-2 leveled teams of 3* or better, and are using unleveled 3* for the rest of their flags.

We’re 115k alliance and since the new matching system was introduced, we’ve been rather on the losing side. Nevertheless, we won our last encounter with what seemed to be a stronger alliance.

Ever since wars started, my alliance (90k-100k range) have been reasonable, more so with each update. We mostly get close wins. The only time I had the most fun was when we got slaughtered because it was challenging for once.

My alliance has won the last few wars only because our opponents had very few participating. Their defense teams were leaps and bounds higher than ours, on average. There are a few in my alliance with 3k+ teams, but mostly we’re made up of lower level teams that hover around 1,600-2,500. Our opponents rarely have fewer than eight at 3k+ With the rest averaging 2,000-2,800 so if they all participated like we do it’d be a total blowout.

Fair match ups here - but were winning some only because our opponents are disorganized and not using hits. If they did I’m not sure how it would end.

Our last war. We won by 1000 points, but only one of ours don’t hit. For the oponent 9 didn’t hit even one time. So if they did they should win.

We are. We’ve only had one war that we were completely outmatched. And we slaughtered one alliance. Was definitely not matched up right. The points were off too. I almost had 1000 points which was crazy. 994 to be exact

Before the change we were winning every war by hundreds of points, most were complete blowouts. After the change though we have been on a 12+ war losing streak with some wars being lost by only a few points, less than 20 and others where we’ve been crushed 1000+ points. I think the last time we won a war was late June. At first it was disheartening but at this point the high end players of the alliance, 3400+ defense teams, are just competing to be the best loser, lol. Maybe there will be another update or change to matchmaking and we’ll get a win again.

Already posted my alliance matchup thoughts, but here’s additional info.

My alliance is currently running around 77k. We have 11 at 3k or over, 13 in the 2k range and 1 under 2k. We typically have 4-5 non-hitters due to work, etc. Those are typically in the lower range players.

We don’t use some of the hardcore strategies I’ve seen on the forums. We’re adults with real life things to do. So we communicate in chat about who is injured, etc. I’m the ‘war queen’ so I give a war update and remind everyone to check their teams before the war. Checking our teams and troops has made the difference in several wars. We’ve gone up against larger alliances where they have a ton of common villagers. It wasn’t pretty for them :wink:

1 Like