What is the point to Costume boril?

Personally I prefer the costume version because I only need one hero to cover the team. A higher counterattack percentage would be nicer, but what it means is that I now have an empty slot to add another healer to improve survivability.

1 Like

Unfortunately c Boril is good only for the bonuses you get after maxing him up, and thats about it.
Not even his paladin talent skill makes it up for the silly special skill he delivers. I was quite thrilled back in time when i seen he us about to get costume, its fun to see enemies killed themselves, too bad that costume Boril is far far behind the original one on that matter. Got my boril at +15, tryed him hard, the real impact of 60%, 4 rounds for all allies vs the original one 115%, 5 round for 3 allies - is seriuosly silly.
Gave myself two weeks to test it out, ever since i never used his costume, coz there is no logic to do so. its a shame.

I never liked boril having riposte in the first place, it’s a wasted skill on him. Cyprian does riposte way better than him. Low Def high health is the only stat spread a riposter should have

I’ve heard this many times before but as an opposing thought for discussion purposes, they aren’t the only ones who reposte, it will be the nearby allies too that should be considered and in fact are actually more important as there will be 2 of them instead of 1. Also important is the survivability of the original caster

3 Likes

This is the problem with the riposte characters is that they don’t do anything else but reflect damage. If Boril could do something extra like heal then it’s worth the use because he’s defense orientated and supports himself. But Boril never gave me any problems when I started playing in raids because he’s just defensive and I tend to brute force my way. Cyprian on the other hand always makes me think twice about attacking him because of how effective he returns damage.
And yes you need to build a team around riposte too, can’t just use any hero. nearby heroes that are weaker in Def like Scarlett and Grimm will benefit from riposte. That’s my dream riposte core, Scarlett, Cyprian, Grimm. Those three under riposte will wreck havoc. By the way the new S3 Gullinbursti probably works really well under riposte core too

I understand the appeal for countering with low defense and high health, but personally I think having good defense is an asset when mixed with counterattack.

Counter damage is also limited by the amount of HP the hero has at the time. If you kill an enemy that counters 125% of damage but they only have 10 HP left, then when they get hit and killed they’ll only return 12 damage off that counterattack.

While higher defense does mean you counter less damage per hit, you can survive by taking more hits and thus keep countering damage for longer durations. That’s where the high defense helps.

I use both Cyprian and Boril on offense frequently, usually on the same team. I think both have their advantages – Cyprian is better for higher counter damage and HP letting him soak up more DoT, while Boril is better at taking abuse and living longer to allow his flanks to counter more damage.

Just my two cents. I think both are great 4*s.

4 Likes

C.Boril with lvl 5 mana troop can charge in 9 tiles instead of 10. I’d probably use normal Boril with Costume Bonus

3 Likes

Not just this but they pumped his stats allll wrong for a counter attack hero…

Counter attack relies on taking bulk damage & surviving… This would (ideally) be reflected in the hero stats by having a lower defence stat & heaps of HP (takes more damage but can survive longer)… an example of this is Costume Elena…

Instead for costume (and to an extent normal boril) they have a massive defence stat which means less damage which means less counter attack…

Alllll of which I TRIED pointing out in Beta but… was ignored :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I think he would serve nicelly at left wing for gold league. Am I wrong?
If he fires and u could not dispell it, you’re pretty done.

Imagine giving all allies counter attack for very fast mana in tournaments? :wink:

Oh Also a previous assessment I did on all the costumes (including Boril): Costumes... Whats the Point? Which is Better?

2 Likes

I think costume Boril is purely for map stages, he’s likely to survive for just about ever, which is helpful in those s3 levels, especially in hard mode. If you could pair him with gullinbursti I think you’d have a hard time dying, unless no tiles/mana.

I thought the same thing… The special is too dramatic of a drop for me to see the value in it, over the non costumed. But… as mentioned earlier, the bonus you get from the costume is well worth the max… especially dropping his needed tiles down to 9 with lvl 5 mana… that’s my favorite. : )

… I felt similarly towards the Li Xiu’s costume… maxed it for the bonus, but will use her non-costumed version.

2 Likes

But at the end of the day, whether one uses the original or costume version of Boril, regardless of whether he is placed as tank, flank or at the wings, he and his riposte are rendered useless and inutile when the one facing him is Melendor, who not only heals but also removes all enemy buffs, riposte included.

1 Like

I have such fondness fir Boril. I got him from an EHT very early in the game, before I even had a blue 3*. He tanked for me for a loooong time, but by the time I had ascension mats I had other blues that kept getting priority.

So he sat at 3.60 for almost a year until this last costume event. He’s a niche hero for me now, but I still smile when he makes the opponents destroy themselves :rofl:

I like the costume bonus, but don’t send him out in costume. 60% doesn’t seem like it would do enough damage to be useful :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

A costume should serve as an alternative play for the regular hero. Not as something to only boost stats for the regular hero. Then that defeats the purpose of a costume hero. I read that analysis, seems boril is the only crappy one in there. They probably going to do the same thing to Cyprian for consistency too

Boril was one of my first 4* heroes and ended up being one of my first to get fully ascended too so got quite a bit of use out of him. I got the costume and I am leveling it right now but I think I’ll end up stopping after doing the final ascension. As his costume is I just can’t see any reason to use it. If your entire team is getting hit it’s going to reflect less damage than regular Boril even with 2 heroes not reflecting any damage. It doesn’t provide any benefit for the heroes getting hit. I guess it means there is always some reflected damage but it’s so weak if feels pointless.

75% would have made C Boril reflect the same damage as regular Boril when the full team was getting hit but even that feels a little weak. 80 or 90% would have been a good balance IMO. Stronger if you are sure your entire team is going to get hit and would probably have some good value in things like the last level of guardians of Teltoc so Kong and Owl can kill themselves on your team. Could even be useful in wars if you know you are going into a heavy AE (not dot) team. Charge him up with a couple healers and then let them pop their AEs and kill themselves.

The Costume buff lasting one less turn is just the icing on the this costume is useless cake for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

The Costume is really there just for boosting his normal self.

I hear the people who would’ve liked to have him be low defense and fragile, so he reflects more, but “fragile dwarf” is one of those things one rarely sees in fantasy.

1 Like

I maxed the costume and have him at +8. His base defense went up from 791 to 892 when I don’t have the costume equipped, and even with it on, his defense is 851. I moved him to my SH tank while I wait for telescopes to max Aegir, and my win percentage overnight is a lot better.

1 Like

Just maxed his costume and did some damage testing.

My Conclusion:

Boril without C is better when there are multiple heroes that hit all cause you get that 100% guaranteed reflect at the higheat possible rate. Otherwise you have to beg that one of those 3 Targets gets hitted. So e.g Vela will nearly kill herself depending on which heroes are flanking Boril.

In any other Situation C-Boril is better cause it trades some damage for guaranteed reflection. Overall you will reflect more damage overall dealt by e.g Gravemaker cause you don’t have to hope for him hitting at least 2 targets.

Do have 2 short Videos testing it on S2 12.6 HM versus Mitsu and the Flyer.

C-Boril Testing 1

C-Boril testing 2

Edit:

Vid1: Mitsu hits 3 targets, 3x ~200 damage reflected
Vid 2: Mitsu hits 1 of 3 targets, 1x ~500damage reflected

Edit2:

So without C, Boril has a higher damage potential but also higher variety while C-Biril has lower damage potential but less variety and therefore is more consistant.

6 Likes

I run Cyprian and Obakan a lot as a /2 for just this reason.

C. Boril is a great /1 on a 4/1.