What exactly is a Gacha? (Read before posting things about "unfair pulls")

I am sure, in your months of playing, you have watched many “Mystic Visions”. In doing so, you have supported the game with ad revenue. Don’t feel like free to play is unfair to the developers as most F2P are still generating a small amount of ad revenue for them which adds up.

I am going through the challenge of teaching my 12 year old son the importance of self control and impulse control. He is very much about instant gratification and not thinking through the value or odds. While I spend a few dollars a month and only on the bang for your buck deals.

When he first started his account I told him not to spend his gems on Daily Summons and to save up 300 gems for Epic or Elemental summon. The next day he pulled a 3* with his free daily summons and promptly spent all of his 150 free gems on another pull, and was very upset with his 1* result. Some people have a hard time with things like this. He is also very quick to spend his allowance, my wife says it is always burning a hole in his wallet. Patience, budgeting, and saving are not inherently equal among us.

9 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. My grandson is the same way.

I’ve only been playing three months … and I’m wondering if there has been some “inflation” or “creep” in the ability to buy ascension materials? These ~monthly 9,750 :gem: deals for example include quite a few guaranteed ascension materials, both 3* and 4* for one example.

The spring deal schedule is another one; I think it was similar to a winter set of deals, although that was before my time; I don’t know if there was anything of the sort before that.

Does it seem to players who have been around longer than myself that the ascension materials purchasable have increased?

I do see that there is still very much a limit there, it just seems to be creeping upward.

1 Like

Yes, good observation.

2 Likes

Gacha is the answer of my luck then
Dauym man now I know that the game been fair to F2p too, as I **** the P2P as well :joy::joy::joy::joy:
So if you pay much and get nothing, repeat after me, I got “ghached” by E&P :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you pay that much, sorry you’re an whale to me :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a great post and great explanation!

Gambling is fun when you don’t allow it to become source of frustration or drug that causes addiction. And you keep on right course by not ignoring your feelings and reactions and, as you said - take timeouts - stop pulls, and go walk a dog or something.

And also, if you don’t enjoy the match 3, or collecting cards, or heroes fighting, then this game isn’t for you - because this game doesn’t have a winner who ‘has them all’. Winners are everyone who enjoy the journey and the time spent with their teammates.

8 Likes

@rook, I know this may sound as self-patting on the back, but can I open a request to stick this thread?

This way, you can always refer people to here and lock whining threads.

1 Like

It’s pinned till 11-1-2018. You can buzz me to renew it then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about you pin the other 100 posts that explain why summoning is bad

If summoning is bad for you, this game is not for you.

3 Likes

Great thread for pinning.

1 Like

Brilliant summary well done!

The only thing I can add to this is fact that games take it one step further by making your earlier purchases less valuable as time goes on… *cough…Aries.
So that people who set up that perfect team find themselves back in the non spender pack and must either be content with that or start trying for the next perfect hero.

I saw this in GOW where they would introduce a game changing attack set… Then 2 weeks later a defense set that would cancel it out… Repeat over and over.

The phrase you can’t buy happiness literally applies to games.

2 Likes

The logic is simple. This is a game based on Puzzle Quest. You need both heroes and the puzzle aspect. If you don’t like the summoning aspect of the game, then you should stick with a game that’s puzzle only.

Simple math.

2 Likes

Power creeping and nerfs/buffs exist in all games. Look at eSports games, like LOL. You have people who paid for specific heroes that saw them being nerfed for balance. On the other hand, if you don’t release more diverse or powerful heroes, people wouldn’t be enticed to buy gems to try and get the new heroes.

1 Like

I really don’t understand why people keep playing the game that they don’t like? Isn’t the point of playing games - enjoying them?
And if some game’s design isn’t aligned with your way of enjoying the play, WHY insisting on sticking to the game which is obviously wrong for you?!

I don’t play sports IRL, because I’m bad at it and it didn’t bring me anything happy whenever I tried. I don’t play FPS games, nor anything that needs immediate keyboard + mouse coordination, because I’m bad at it, and I don’t find joy in being constantly hit/dead/out of the track and what not.

I’ve tried some things, and realised that it’s just not for me. And I left. I wasn’t opening dozens of topics how game is unfair to me.
I’m mature enough to realise what my skills are, what my thrills are, and what aren’t.

And that selection of games I will play started when I was 10. So, for 20+ year olds it really shouldn’t be that hard to realise which game suits them and which don’t.

Ok, maybe you paid something, and then realised that’s not for you. The sooner you leave the game that frustrates you, the faster you’ll find out something that brings you joy.

10 Likes

How about “if you don’t like something then don’t spend your hard earned money on it” instead then?

4 Likes

Good post, @RedPython.

My response:

TL;DR: this game can bring a lot of enjoyment even without spending much, or anything. But that depends on why you play the game. If you want to play at the top, you’re going to have to pay at the top, especially if you started late.

There’s an underlying question that needs to be answered: what motivates you in playing this (or any other) game? I’ve played more than a few online RPG games, and it never occurred to me that I needed to become the best, most powerful character in the game to enjoy playing it. Personally, I enjoyed developing the character, building on-line friendships (or at least buddies), and gaining in skills over time. The fact that there were other, more powerful characters around didn’t mean, for me, that I hadn’t “won”. Ideally I’d make friends with some of those uber-powerful characters and be able to benefit from that relationship (e.g., getting a powerful wizard friend to enchant something, having friendly clerics who will rescue and resurrect me). In this game, I benefit from having friends in a strong alliance to defeat better titans and gain better loot – as well as the camaraderie that I enjoy.

If that’s your motivation—build up a team, join a good alliance, take down powerful titans—you can do that on a very modest budget, or even completely free, if you’re willing to spend more time. I’d suggest buying the VIP package for good gem value and the double builder, get your SH and two TC up to level 20, and grind for heroes. Use these gems wisely, as I discuss up-thread. A well-composed team of just TC20 heroes can contribute meaningfully to all but the most elite alliances.

OTOH, if you play this game with the goal of becoming a top-10 player, then you’re also probably going to have to become a top-10 payer as well. A level 30 troops cost thousands of $$ (or ££ or €€). Drawing the good event heroes and HotM is possible with a very limited budget, but more likely you’ll need to spend hundreds or thousands if you really want to “catch’m all”. And if you really want to be at the very top of the charts, I have bad news for you: there have been great HotM that you don’t have because you weren’t playing in the first few months of the game. Maybe those will be re-released, but I will be gob-smacked surprised if those heroes are available without lots of spending. My guess is, if they were to auction ten Hels and ten Athenas, the market price would exceed $5,000 per hero.

11 Likes

Wait. He’s not denying that summon chances are low, he’s merely explaining -why- they are that way. Because it’s not an error, or a bug, it’s by design.

Now you could just ignore that, and howl to the devs how their game is broken. Or accept that SG intends it to be that way, and deal with it. And of the several ways of dealing with it, complaining about it sure is one. I’ll give you that. I don’t think it’ll lead anywhere, but it’s your prerogative, that’s true.

4 Likes