What does Para hold?

What does it hold ? I try to figure it out but have no idea :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As I mentioned in another thread for me it looks like a butter churn.

A butter churn is a device used to convert cream into butter. This is done through a mechanical process, frequently via a pole inserted through the lid of the churn, or via a crank used to turn a rotating device inside the churn.

However, I can’t figure out why a rat would use a butter churn. :woman_shrugging:

21 Likes

Maybe she likes homemade butter :laughing:

4 Likes

Thank you :sweat_smile:

I think it like to eat butter :rofl:.

I thought that as well!

I’ve tried googling for Finnish mythology: rat, rat familiar, rat with butter churn, but have not found anything :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Me too. I try google, “Kalevala rat” and “Kalevala bat” and have not found anything as well :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, me too! I was searching for a Kalavela god or familiar that has something to do with household (Household familiar), but couldn’t find anything.

2 Likes

It could just be stealing the cream.

3 Likes

this is the closest thing I could find:

except it only mentions cats killing rats, so…

of course, Para is a rat with wings and a dragon-type tail and horns, so Para isn’t exactly a rat…

here also is the definition of a familiar.

4 Likes

Omg thank you haha, I thought it was a dynamite or something :joy:

2 Likes

One more on Para from Finnish folklore

9 Likes

And this makes sense now:

What the para brought to one farm disappeared from another, whether it was grain, milk, or butter.

The para could appear in the form of animals that were seen frequently around the farmstead, such as a snake, dog, or rabbit. - but a rat or mouse fits here too.

Thanks @Laylomay

6 Likes

Maybe it’s like that film Ratatouille where the rat is a chef? :joy:

4 Likes

Might be an earlyer version of this high tech device

perie-wc-inox-lucios-meco-1-imagine_produs

Also a reference to the late developement of the game…

11 Likes

And why does she look so nefarious while doing it? Gurl, if you’re gonna have this evil look on your face while making something that’s supposed to be harmless like butter, I am not eating that butter.

8 Likes

Nice find, and now I feel kinda dumb for not just searching Para’s name :joy:

1 Like

@NicoX Butter was an important commodity.
No one drank milk, they used it to make butter and cheese.
Cheese especially was very important to poor households who couldn’t afford a lot of meat.
Butter churn gone?
No cheese or butter means a financial disaster for the farmer and dairy.

3 Likes

I understand that, but I mean look at this:

First, it’s a bat/rat hybrid. It’s already a lot to take in, but fine, I can live with it.

Then look at these eyes that scream “My only goal in life is to murder you in gruesome fashion.” Now tell me if you’re 100% sure that this butter isn’t poisoned. Or that it’s actually butter.

I’m not taking any chance, I’m looking for a friendlier butter churning batrat. :joy:

7 Likes

B6309831-CC94-1658-EC8AF82914F142B3

11 Likes

:joy: It isn’t what I had in mind.

Once again, you’re way too trusting. Batrat girl isn’t concocting some kind of watered-down version of butter. Most likely it’s pure Anthrax, polonium or botulinum.

1 Like