What do we gain from defensive raids?

I enjoy opening my watchtower and seeing those green pluses. But i kinda think it’s bs i dont gain anything from those wins.

I can lose food and iron for losing. Can gain harder opponents and make it more challenging to fill chests by winning.

Why don’t we actually gain anything from setting up a succesful defense. Attackers have the most advantages, but no risks. While the disadvantaged AI defense is the only one risking anything.

Am i the only one thinking this?

An ELO system can’t be effective if both sides don’t have something to gain. Been the problem for a long time.

Sure raid arenas helped, but i can setup a defense that puts me in mid to high platinum and still open my raid chest in diamond.

Now the raid arenas could be more effective if it didnt already take more than 6 flags to fill a raid chest, then you definitely wouldnt want to drop too much so you could make the most out of your flags without refills. But that isn’t the case.

3 Likes

Yes! Like Food and iron! That would be fair!

1 Like

Even if we only gained by winning rematches or revenges, it would make setting up best possible Defense more worth while

1 Like

Interesting, something I never really thought about but I feel you are correct. I mean you gain a few cups but there should be a reward for successful defense. Maybe a fillable bar like aliance wars where after x ammount of defensive wins a chest?

1 Like

That would raise the bar of competition

Don’t let this die lol bump bump bump badump

I have thought about it before. You could always fall back on the “realism” aspect that a raiding party doesn’t carry much in the way of supplies to answer this. Of course given the extreme lack of realism in other parts of the game that is kind of a lame reason. But what I really want to win, and you could justify with the “reaslism” argument is recruits.

Note that I’m pretty sure I have read more than once that SG hasn’t implemented an ELO system, and doesn’t want to, so that wouldn’t be my focus on why they should start giving us food and iron on defense wins. Besides I’m pretty sure that ranking is what you win and loose as a defender would satisfy that requirement.

The cup system is ELO

You are matched with opponents based on past performance based on other opponents, and not by skill.

Raids match simply based on your win/loss record and how tough your wins/losses have been

When you do well, you get harder opponents
When do bad, you get easier opponents

That is pretty much the definition of ELO

actually there is more to it than that. But ok.

Not by much. Can link the page if needed.

I wouldn’t mind if our Hero Chests fills a bit depends on how “successful” the based was defended. I mean sure, you get some cups for winning, but the attackers can fill their Hero Chests for 5 on a complete victory, or partially even if they managed to kill some of the defenders, but ultimately defeated.

Wishful thinking, I am sure.

2 Likes

Thats OK, I’m familiar with it, and that’s why I know this isn’t a true ELO. That and the devs have said so :wink:

The ELO rating system is a method used for calculating the skills of players in zero sums games such as chess.

The difference in the ratings between two players serves as a predictor of the outcome of a match. Two players with equal ratings who play against each other are expected to score an equal number of wins. A player whose rating is 100 points greater than their opponent’s is expected to score 64%; if the difference is 200 points, then the expected score for the stronger player is 76%.

A player’s Elo rating is represented by a number which increases or decreases depending on the outcome of games between rated players. After every game, the winning player takes points from the losing one. The difference between the ratings of the winner and loser determines the total number of points gained or lost after a game. In a series of games between a high-rated player and a low-rated player, the high-rated player is expected to score more wins. If the high-rated player wins, then only a few rating points will be taken from the low-rated player. However, if the lower-rated player scores an upest win, many rating points will be transferred. The lower-rated player will also gain a few points from the higher rated player in the event of a draw. This means that this rating system is self-correcting. Players whose ratings are too low should, in the long run, do better than the rating system predicts and thus gain rating points until the ratings reflect their true playing strength.

Which part of this doesnt apply to raids?

Regardless of what “devs have said”, 3rd paragraph summarizes raids pretty well

You left off all the math details on how that is accomplished, as well as the basic assumption of a zero sum game in a world where cups are created out of thin air.

I summarized. If you honestly think the 3rd paragraph in no way shape or form applies to raids, i would love to hear how you think the raid system works.

By the way the “thin air cups” are used as points in a ranking system. We all start at the same amount of cups. We gain or lose cups based on our wins and losses. Therefore matching us up against players with similar wins or loss or “cups”. Not complicated.

And yes there are parts left out due to not clogging up the forum with unnecessary crap which I’ve already had to do since “devs say raids aren’t ELO based”. How are raids based then?

I’ve thought the same thing on several occasions while raiding like the OP. Even thought of the realism that you would bring food to go travel and attack someone’s base.

Cups are meaningful if you’re hovering between gold/platinum or other levels.

I’d like to see a cost to raid (for example 2000 ham.)

If you lose the raid, this goes to the successful defender as a reward besides the cups.

Even if you win the raid, you don’t get the 2000 ham back.

$0.02

I kinda think that if the defense wins they should gain the cost of food that it would have cost to reroll.

The attacker could have chose a different team setup or another opponent and didnt, therefore they should lose that food if they lose. Gain the % of watchtower resources if they win.

1 Like

We all start with zero. Once someone wins, cups are created.

If you ignore the math part, then you ignore the parts they say are not like an ELO system.

Lol you’re dancing circles to punch holes and draw attention away from my original post. I really wish we could get back to the topic at hand. I’ve said all i need to say and pulled a direct quote from the ELO system. So saying the raid system isn’t BASED on ELO simply to start derailing my thread is pretty pathetic.

We can continue to hash this out in another thread, or we can get back to the topic at hand.

Do you think defensive raids should stand to win anything besides going up and down in the “non ELO based system”?

Yes…most interesting to me would be recruits, as mentioned in my original reply. But anything would be nice.

2 Likes