🏅 Weekly Raid Tournaments – Post-Launch Feedback – Unfair Matches [dev response on post 476] and Scoring? Appropriate Difficulty? Loot Tiers? See thread for more topics

Weekly Raid Tournament Feedback

The first of the Weekly Raid Tournaments is now LIVE!

For Discussion of Teams and Strategy, as well as a Guide for the first Raid Tournament, please visit: 🏅 [Mar 23, 2019] 1st Raid Tournament! — 4* Rush Attack, All Elements

This thread is for discussion of feedback now that the first Weekly Raid Tournament has been released.

Dev Response to Initial Feedback

See also: [KNOWN ISSUE] Raid Tournament Defense Grade Low Due to Not Being Attacked - Staff Response Post #7

Some Possible Topics of Conversation

(Feel free to add more!)

• Do you like the new Weekly Raid Tournaments? Why or why not?

• Have the Weekly Raid Tournaments given you new priorities in your gameplay?

• What do you think of the loot tiers?

• How do you feel about the Tournaments by comparison to regular Raids?

• Are the instructions provided in the game clear?

• There was a lot of concern about early beta versions that included a registration fee — that feedback was heard, and addressed with the removal of the registration fee. Do you feel SGG did a good job addressing those concerns with the new system?

• Do you feel the new system reasonably balances accessibility and rewards for F2P/C2P players with a reasonable advantage for players who choose to pay gems to continue playing after losing all of their lives?

• A frequent criticism of Challenge Events is that the loot tiers reward the same top players over and over, and that frequent repetition of stages is the only way to achieve high scores. Raid Tournaments use a percentage tier system, so the number of players in each loot tier varies depending on number of participants. And everyone gets the same maximum number of flags. Do you think this addresses issues of fairness in competition, or does it fall short?

• A frequent criticism of Regular Raids is a mismatching of team power due to cup dropping and varying player benches that nonetheless get matched up because their trophies are within +/-300 of each other. Depending on the restrictions of the week, Raid Tournaments can potentially create a more even playing field. Do you think this is effective? Do you like this? Does this affect you positively or negatively?

• Regular Raids allow re-rolling, which helps players elect to skip matches they find unfair or too challenging. Raid Tournaments don’t allow re-rolling, but have teams that are more comparable due to the weekly rules/restrictions. Do you think that works well? Is it fair? Is this system more or less fair than Regular Raids?

:link: Other Related Threads

9 Likes

Yeah - like the Mod’s don’t know. I know you have a camera pointed at @Petri 's desk where the BIG timer is counting down to the time when he can push the BIG red “Raid Tournament” button to let the games begin.

3 Likes

Great, now @Petri is going to be searching for the camera. That was supposed to be a secret. :shushing_face:

11 Likes

It needs to be soon, because these 2 days waiting have been killing me.

2 Likes

Preparation has begun…

1 Like

Updated! Just was doing the main thread before this one. :slight_smile:

There’s a camera now? I used to have to hide under his desk.

4 Likes

What I like is that the rewards are based on % instead of hard numbers. It’s a lot fairer than the monthly challenge event.

4 Likes

This… is… AWESOME!! :star_struck:

:+1:
for Raid Tournaments!

1 Like

I like that too — I think it’s a huge improvement, and I hope they bring it to Challenge Events this year too. Tim mentioned during the AMA that they’ll be looking at the reward structure for Challenge Events during the revamps.

You might want to discuss this part in the discussion thread instead of the feedback thread: 🏅 [Mar 23, 2019] 1st Raid Tournament! — 4* Rush Attack, All Elements

1 Like

I’d love if it was a purer contest without the option of buying back in with gems. I feel like this may just benefit spenders.

6 Likes

I’ll be curious to see how that pans out. It benefits spenders in that you can keep going and potentially rank a bit better than you would have with an early elimination.

But losing 4 matches in any of the early rounds is a good indication your score is going to be fairly low anyway. So buying your way back in could turn out to be more just for fun to keep playing than actually effective for getting better loot.

6 Likes

Yes the rewards based on % will offset the benefit of buying back in.

2 Likes

Wednesday start

I am not fond of the Wednesday start since we already have a war and Class quest each Wednesday.

But both Tourney set up and war allow 24 hours.

Personally, I will prioritize Tourney set up - if I am not skipping this week - then war then class quest ( I can use a flask for class quests).

Saturday no. 3 Battle day & Sunday no. 4 Battle day

But a Wednesday start gives us a weekend for Battle days 3 & 4. So if you already have four defeats or you are not in the Top 5%, you can take the weekend off and wait for Wednesday.

4 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: :medal_sports: [NOW LIVE!] First Weekly Raid Tournament! — FAQs, Teams, and Discussion

I would like to see the top 100 ranking players in the weekly tourney, and number 1 player get a brand new SAAB.
Wishful thinking ?

3 Likes

I think we might end up with 1 war a week, and weekly raid tourney.

In another thread I read that raid tournament kills count towards filling the Hero wanted chest, which is pretty awesome considering that war kills don’t.

3 Likes

Answers below:

• Do you like the new Weekly Raid Tournaments? Why or why not?

I’m very excited about the new weekly Raid Tournaments. I think any variations of current gameplay create an increased understanding of our how hero’s work, and the variations are going to be a lot of fun.

• Have the Weekly Raid Tournaments given you new priorities in your gameplay?

No, This has not changed my gameplay in any way so far. I’m currently working on having 30 maxed 4* and 5* heros, and will continue this effort.

• What do you think of the loot tiers?

The loot tiers are great! I think % based is certainly the way to go, can we make this change effective for events too?

• How do you feel about the Tournaments by comparison to regular Raids?

I think the tournaments are going to be an exciting addition to regular raids. It will be nice to face different hero’s and tanks.

• Are the instructions provided in the game clear?

I think the instructions are fairly clear. I think you will find requests for more information through the forums, and maybe can update in-game messaging to highlight these requests.

• There was a lot of concern about early beta versions that included a registration fee — that feedback was heard, and addressed with the removal of the registration fee. Do you feel SGG did a good job addressing those concerns with the new system?

I’m very happy you did not include a gem registration fee, otherwise i would not be participating in this weekly raid system.

• Do you feel the new system reasonably balances accessibility and rewards for F2P/C2P players with a reasonable advantage for players who choose to pay gems to continue playing after losing all of their lives?

I think players who spend a lot of money to have all of the heros that are available in game will always have an advantage. However, i think the current raid tournament system will help level the playing field as much as possible.

• A frequent criticism of Challenge Events is that the loot tiers reward the same top players over and over, and that frequent repetition of stages is the only way to achieve high scores. Raid Tournaments use a percentage tier system, so the number of players in each loot tier varies depending on number of participants. And everyone gets the same maximum number of flags. Do you think this addresses issues of fairness in competition, or does it fall short?

I definitely think that this adds a level of fairness that is missing from the rest of the game. Pay to play players will still win, as they should, but at least this gives the rest of us a fighting chance.

• A frequent criticism of Regular Raids is a mismatching of team power due to cup dropping and varying player benches that nonetheless get matched up because their trophies are within +/-300 of each other. Depending on the restrictions of the week, Raid Tournaments can potentially create a more even playing field. Do you think this is effective? Do you like this? Does this affect you positively or negatively?

This is certainly effective, i do like it, and it does affect me positively. That being said, it is hard to criticize the current raid system too hard because everyone faces the same thing, and you have the option to skip and find a different enemy.

• Regular Raids allow re-rolling, which helps players elect to skip matches they find unfair or too challenging. Raid Tournaments don’t allow re-rolling, but have teams that are more comparable due to the weekly rules/restrictions. Do you think that works well? Is it fair? Is this system more or less fair than Regular Raids?

I think the lack of a re-roll option in the tournament is going to have a lot of people crying. We will see if it will work well, i certainly think it is fair, but i’m not sure it will be effective with only allowing 4 total losses over the tournament before you are out. I think it would be better to set a max number of flags per day, win or lose you get to compete the whole time.

I have been excited about this all day. I’m probably driving my alliance members crazy with all the different defense combinations i’ve been asking for reviews. Ultimately, this has helped me categorize defenses into several categories, and i hope to test each category as we move forward to find the preferred defense setup for my bench.

3 Likes