Waves: Discussion on how to support alliance mates through mental health and emotional aspect of E&P -

Yeah, so Zephyr and I are in the same alliance so we’re in fairly frequent communication. Additionally I know @Rook on Line as well and then @JonahTheBard @littleKAF @DaveCozy are very responsive to flags & tags here on the forum. They can engage in private message on the forum as necessary.

I definitely agree that people observing stay-at-home/shelter-in-place/self-quarantining as well as those on the frontlines of combating Covid-19 are accumulating a mental weariness that we have not seen before, so it is important to continue to destigmatize the discussions around mental health and wellness.

This thread definitely encourages community support but I’d like to reiterate that generally us forum-goers and alliance mates are not a replacement for legitimate professional help if anyone is really struggling and that resources to call lines are available in the first post of this thread.

@Math4lyfe No Hugs…virtual hugs, maybe…keep your social distance!!!

9 Likes

@voidstrike Yeah I agree with you on this! But I think the title doesn’t fit because as a german player I don’t know what “waves” mean and didn’t find it as I searched for a topic of “mental health”! And you should not only concentrate on the US , also on other country’s

4 Likes

It’s been tough… but I’m acclimating to the air high five… sad face.

Stay safe and well everyone. Reach out if you need to… virtually of course.

5 Likes

:raised_hand:… … … … … … … …:raised_back_of_hand:

6 Likes

Fair point, added to the title

4 Likes

The hotline numbers included in the link below (also in the first post) include 10 countries so far (including Germany).

Concerning the title, I wanted the thread to remain focused on discussions and not devolve into an ideological flame/complaint fest, so I tried to keep from just writing Mental Health thread as just a precautionary measure.

100 posts in, the forum has rewarded my leap of faith in discussing this matter so I’m cool with the title being readjusted to include mental health (so it’s searchable).

Edit: All of this to say @JoDa thank you for shining a light on this being a global matter and not just U.S. matter, I don’t want any merging/consolidation of any posts made to seem like discouragement to the thread you had posted, rather appreciative for the goodness to care.

7 Likes

Anxiety!

I have a very close friend and a daughter-in-law who both suffer from bouts of anxiety, sometimes severe. Usually brought on by things well beyond your control, like the current pandemic. The more things seem beyond their control the worse the anxiety, and it can become paralyzing. The best medicine is just being a sympathetic ear and offering help and support.

This game with all the RNG in it can also be anxiety-inducing. You need a big titan hit at just the time you get a lousy board, and you feel like you have let the team down. Same with wars.

I have had bad attacks and bad titan hits. Usually I am right in the chat saying I’m sorry to the team. If me as one of the top hitters generally can have a bad day then so can anyone else. Maybe it’ll make them feel a bit better. A few others have followed suit with this. It’s important that everyone knows we don’t expect perfection.

4 Likes

I’m legitimately concerned about what to do, if we run out of baby wipes and diapers for my son. No store I’ve visited online or otherwise has either item…ever. They are pretty much gone as soon as stores are open, which gives priority to the elderly, which is fine, but we have people buying up baby wipes that don’t even have a baby.

What’s the alternative if our basic needs can’t be met? I’m more afraid of mass paranoia and panic than I am the virus. Legitimately worried, and I’ve struggled with depression moreso recently because my concerns fall on deaf ears. We are running out of essentials, and no one cares. Not the stores. Not the customers. Not the government. No one. So, yes, I’m worried.

4 Likes

Cloth diapers and washcloths?

3 Likes

But what do you do with the poop residue on the washcloth? I mean, do you wash it down the sink or tub? And how can I ensure that those wash clothes are going to be clean enough that they won’t eventually be carrying a harmful disease when soap and detergents are also getting hard to find?

3 Likes

People I know in this situation have been getting rid of the residue in the toilet then washing the cloth with bleach. Surprisingly the dollar stores around here are where I’ve been able to find bleach, laundry detergent, and baby wipes. I wish you luck finding what you need.

5 Likes

Alright. I’ll give that a try. @Delerium

4 Likes

I have had severe depression and anxiety since I was a teen and now I’m 49! I think it is really AWESOME that you have this on here for people who also suffer from mental health issues!! With this virus and with all the “stay at home“ rules it’s hard to be at home and not be able to do the things you enjoy or just get out of the house!
Being depressed and having to ‘stay at home’ makes me feel more isolated and I get really depressed when I can’t do what I normally do! For me when I’m depressed I can’t get out of bed or do anything​:pleading_face: I don’t even play my games on my phone or interact with my alliance like I would normally do. If I do talk to anyone it usually Is very short and a lot of ‘my life sucks’ or ‘I can’t handle this’ or ‘what’s the point’ type of responses. Sometimes I even get irritable and may take it out on someone who doesn’t deserve it :exploding_head:
If you suspect a person may be struggling, or even those who may not be, just talking to them or just saying “hello“ is a great way to help a person feel like they aren’t alone. Also, being a good listener if they do want to talk is the most positive way to help! Maybe even share how you are feeling so they can see they aren’t alone out there in this!!

Sending positive vibes to anyone who is suffering or knows someone who is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This to shall pass :wink:

9 Likes

We’ll we have a saying in my alliance “lei do cão, aguenta e não chora” in Portuguese it’s Smtg like “Dog’s law, handle it and don’t cry”… This started with a joke because our leader nick is vascodog and it sticked!
This is our way to motivate each other
#PlayApartTogether

3 Likes

Well, it took me 9 hours this time. I slacked today. Shame.

3 Likes

It is getting crazy out there and I know myself and others that I know are having the same problem with buying the ESSENTIALS!! People are panicking and acting like we are at war and need to stock up for months or a year!!! I know here in Minnesota there is now a limit on some things that people can buy at one time! Walmart is a good place to try if they are doing that where you are from. You could also try calling your county social services for help or suggestions!! They may be able to help or give you info on who can.
I have severe anxiety and depression and it is really hard but I look to my family and friends for support as well as my Faith!!! I pray you will find the things you need for your family!!! Stay strong and don’t be afraid to ask for help cuz you may just find what you are looking for!!! :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for that. Yes, there are limits on what people can buy per purchase, but the problem is we have the same people coming in everyday to buy the same items over and over which forces some people to go without.

Thankfully, the bishop of the ward of our Church insisted that my wife and I accept a food order on behalf of the Church’s storehouse, and they have the diapers and wet wipes, toilet paper, and other things that the grocery stores are always out of, so in that regard, I’m very thankful and very relieved. I honestly don’t see an ending to this. Even when society gets the upper hand, and the virus is completely eliminated, I don’t foresee people letting their guards down for months afterwards. I readily expect to see the panic buying continue all the way to the Fall season.

7 Likes

WHO has guidelines on maintaining mental health through the coronavirus pandemic. Some of these guidelines, in my opinion, can apply in any situation as well.

I especially like these:

1. Minimize watching, reading or listening to news about COVID-19 that causes you to feel anxious
    or distressed; seek information only from trusted sources and mainly so that you can take practical
    steps to prepare your plans and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at
    specific times during the day, once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports
    about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried. Get the facts; not rumours and
    misinformation. Gather information at regular intervals from the WHO website and local health
    authority platforms in order to help you distinguish facts from rumours. Facts can help to minimize
    fears.

2. Protect yourself and be supportive to others. Assisting others in their time of need can benefit
    both the person receiving support and the helper. For example, check by telephone on neighbours
    or people in your community who may need some extra assistance. Working together as one
    community can help to create solidarity in addressing COVID-19 together.

3. Find opportunities to amplify positive and hopeful stories and positive images of local people who
    have experienced COVID-19. For example, stories of people who have recovered or who have supported
    a loved one and are willing to share their experience

8 Likes

#3 on your list is why I decided to mute every single COVID-19 topic in this forum. It just made me feel worse aside from being invalidated.

6 Likes

I’m sorry you feel invalidated. What I’ve learned is that a little bit of listening can really help.

And I agree, it is a concern if the pandemic lasts longer than we expected (and it already has).

5 Likes