War tanks - single colour vs best defense

Can we open the topic of war strategy based on single colour tanks versus players just using their best defense?

The trend towards single tanks has been going on for several months but I’m curious to find out if it’s time to stop dictating to our members and offer more freedom of choice.

We’re a mid-to-strong alliance so we have the flexibility to go either way.

We’ve worked our way up to using yellow tanks with some Guin, Poseiden, Drake, Deliaha, Vivica, etc.

We aren’t strong enough for everyone to use purples.

I’m just curious to see how other (stronger) alliances feel about the single tanks - have they run their course, or are we just setting up a vulnerable defense if we choose to go free-for-all!

4 Likes

I don’t think single color tanks have run their course for stronger alliances. In fact, I think they’re here to stay. I think of it this way… What type of setup would I rather attack? I’d much rather attack against an alliance that has varied tank colors.

That said, I don’t think single color tanks make sense for all alliances, but I wouldn’t go all the way to free for all. I’m in an alliance with a lot of long term members that have all grown together. Before we were strong enough to go with single color tanks, we went with 2 colors, and flanked with the color that wasn’t tank. For example, if your alliance has a few GMs and Guins, but not everyone has a good red or yellow tank, you could tell people to use red or yellow tanks. If you use a red tank, use a yellow flank, and vice versa. Then you could coordinate the other flank, maybe blue in this scenario.

You’d still force the attackers to use up their purple and blue heroes, but without putting in subpar tanks. Also, if your alliance is in this situation, you’re probably facing opponents that don’t have the greatest depth.

3 Likes

@Kerridoc do you have any thoughts on this topic?

Yes.

Oh, and here they are:

The uniform tank color strategy is a huge advantage. Some alliances have taken to uniform color patterns, too, to offer as little strategic opportunity to their foes as possible. That may be overkill, but uniform tanks is not.

That said, on occasion a member may not have a suitable tank of the allliance’s preferred tank color. There are two options:

1. Alliance reconsider the tank color to find one that everyone can do well in
  2. The few members with mismatched tanks build their strongest teams. If more than one deviates, it’s best to agree on a common secondary tank color—preferably not the color that is weak against the primary tank color.

E.g., your alliance chooses yellow tanks, but someone only has Joon at 4/80. That player should run any color except purple at tank; running purple gives an obvious target to use some yellows that aren’t going to perform well against yellow tanks. Likewise, if the alliance runs red tanks, don’t use blue as the alternative tank color.

6 Likes

I have a C2P alt account that has been with mid-level alliances. The coordinated tank colors are necessary at high level alliances and the strategy should be used at any experience level as long as the alliance is reasonably full, say 20+ members. This alt account raids in Gold/Platinum arena and fields a 3500 TP defense for war but I saw the differences in alliances that didn’t enforce coordinated tanks vs. the ones that did. My choice in targets were so much easier in alliances that didn’t coordinate. This was when I was raiding with mostly 3-star teams. Even when I was level 10 and using 2-star feeders to round out war teams I could go and one-shot defenses 500+ TP higher than my attack teams. This is because I could always pick a target and use a strong mono-color team against the tank. One-shotting 4+ times a war against ridiculously outmatched defenses actually made wars a bit fun. Contrast this to my main account where every war is nothing but complaints about sub-par boards.

All this fun dried up once I got to a level where the alliances took their defenses semi-seriously and removed some of the low hanging fruit. I’d say that level is when you cross into Gold arena and higher. If the majority of the alliance raids in Gold or higher they should already be coordinating tanks. My remark about coordinating whenever there are 20+ members in an alliance is because at that point you can see a form of herd protection kicking in. Small alliances, with 5 - 10 members, equal fewer targets and everyone gets 6 war flags. It’s easy to cover all targets with one or two really strong players and let the lower level ones clean up any messes. In bigger alliances the distribution of strong and weak players fit a bell curve better. Putting in a coordinated tank defense there blunts the hits from those few strong players. Even if you’re a small fry in a big alliance you should conform to the tank color just to stay with the herd. You’ll still get picked off but it leaves fewer strong color teams to go up against the heavies when attempting a reset.

2 Likes

My alliance has played for a long time without uniform tank color because the levels of the players and the hero dephts varies greatly. I think this doesn’t hinder you to be successful and going on winning streaks because if you’re good at attacking you can outperform the enemy. Also using all flags help :wink:. Early in the game one usually has just one good tank. And defenses are stronger when using this best option.

Over time we switched to a two tank colors strategy and for about two months or so we use purple. I observed that some enemies struggle with this mono strategy but the majority doesn’t.
People are used to it

1 Like