War Score as part of the Alliance Score [Developer Update in Post #100]

As self serving as it is, do you see a benefit to top 100 alliances gaining massive points due to war score affecting their alliance score and lower ranked alliances losing score due to war results…? I don’t see the point to this.

This statement is exactly 180 degrees off my thinking. I would find it odd to see 7DD atop the Alliance leaderboard the day after losing to Aggressive. Wars are the ultimate arbiter of which alliance is better, in my view.

7 Likes

Performance is a much smaller part of the formula right now than roster strength

Which alliance PERFORMED better lol

I wasn’t saying that war performance shouldn’t impact the leaderboards. Just that there would be grumbling about it.

This is much more of a problem for mid level alliances than 7DD, as war matchmaking appears to work well in the top 10-20 alliances. And as long as they are matched with each other, wars are a good measure.

But for mid level alliances, the war performance is not a good ranking measure, as the current matchmaking pretty much guarantees that any alliance below top 10 will long term win 50% of their wars, and the performance adjustment will just bounce them up and down randomly, like the titan score bump when titans are killed.

And since the raw war score is still flawed, it’s impact will be larger than the performance aspect if the final war score is used as a component.

OTOH, if the alliance ranking is only vaguely valid for the top 10 alliances anyways, maybe that’s a good argument for using war performance in the alliance score.

It is kinda random and unimportant for the rest of us anyway; let’s make the top of the leaderboard more accurate; the rest won’t be worse than before, only different.

That would certainly not be a surprise. There is literally grumbling about nearly every aspect of this game somewhere on the boards here. In fact, there is more than one thread where they grumble about the grumbling.

4 Likes

Not sure why you keep insisting the raw war score is flawed. Before this new system was put in place we didn’t win a war from May through August. Since they implemented it, the matchups are very close. they’re within 200 or so points one way or the other with consistency. This is as good as it’s going to get.

I agree that the system is greatly improved from what they did before. And I think that a big chunk of the improvement is the performance adjustment.

None of us have played AW where matching was done using the basic score as currently implemented without the performance adjustment, so saying how those matches would be is hypothetical.

I say the basic system is flawed because rather than try to put further effort into fixing it, the devs have elected to adjust it based performance so we get reasonable matchups.

FYI, I’m not suggesting that it really is possible to create a fully accurate strength metric for each alliance that would work across the wide variety of alliances in the game; that is a really thorny problem.

I am guessing on what would happen if some portion of this score were part of the alliance score.

In some extent that’s true for cups also.

How so? You dont gain cups by losing or not raiding(outside of decensive wins but those dont mean much if you dont have attacks to keep clibinh);;…. War score can increase even without all players participating or winning

Base value of cups is determined by defense team - even if you raid only a bit or not at all, a good defense team will hold you over a certain limit, maybe even win some cups.

War score can increase with roster without participation, but so would your base cup level also with better defense team.

1 Like

I don’t see a benefit in the current system either. Alliance score can go up and down with trophies - overnight, most people lose cups, so their score and their standings in the leader board will go down. What benefit is there in this? Does it actually represent how strong or how active an alliance is?
Titan score is a better measure of how strong the alliance is. And war score is even better, in my opinion. If a member of the alliance is away, you can compensate for his missing hits on the titan by flasking. In war, you cannot compensate - but you are usually matched against an alliance with an equal number of members, but sometimes there isn’t an alliance with equal number, so you might be one short. If this means you lose the war, that should be represented in your alliance score. Because you are momentarily weaker. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s not like you are going to be banned from the game… :wink:

I would really like to see how my alliance compares to others, based on how we work together as an alliance. Not due to whether someone is dropping cups or rage raiding…

2 Likes

All defense teams lose cups

You don’t see players go from a rank of #510 to #1 by winning defensive raids when they’re offline

Players still have to login and raid to prevent defense teams from dropping too low. Look at good teams that are down in gold but are 4k+ team power. They’re there due to inactivity and lack of raiding and effort. Based on your theory, they would still be sitting in diamond and even climbing ranks.

But they do get to start from 500, rather than 10K. Defensive teams allow you stay in striking range of your goal. I would say they are a critical part of being in getting to the top 100 whenever you want.

1 Like

Question - how many people not in a top 100 alliance, or withing striking distance of being one actually ever even look at alliance scores?

I have maybe looked at it 4 times in the entire time I have played. To me its even more abstract a measure of anything than cups…which is relatively meaningless in itself.

Generally, yes, most of the time. Sometimes I log in and my cups total is higher and sometimes it is virtually the same as when I logged off. I’ve had my defensive team drift me up to the #2 spot overall in the past and I’ve had quite the opposite happen. I’m sure others can tell you the same.

3 Likes

My understanding is that your cup count is actually your ELO rating. So it’s reasonably meaningful in gauging reative strength (if you ignore cup-droping). Of course, ELO is going to be most meaningful in pure skill competitions. When luck plays a big part (like with tile distributions), well… YMMV.

2 Likes

Dont go down the elo road with this guy lol been there, done that. And he is correct that the raid system isn’t ELO. But it is a “modified” ELO system basically. Couple of parts borrowed from it for raids, but lacks a lot of the mathematical parts and some other details to be truly considered ELO.

When i was in an alliance, i actually looked at it daily lol but that’s because our goal was top 100

Duly noted. I’ll just be over here not diving down that rabbit hole. I hereby withdraw any claim to meaningfulness from cup score. Thanks @Rigs.