War opponent has more players

Our current war opponent has 12 player to our 11. That gives them 6 extra flags. No new players came and left during the match making process.

Happens fairly often unfortunately; plenty of examples in the forums lately.

3 Likes

I guess I missed those because this is the first time seeing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, as @Dan7 mentioned, this does happen. FYI

3 Likes

Thanks @Sarah2. You would think this issue would be resolved by now if this is a reoccurring issue.

I’ve been playing for 2.5 years and this is the first time it has happened. Pretty disappointing for a game that’s supposed to be progressing.

1 Like

If there’s an odd number of 11 person teams, how do you propose they match you?

2 Likes

Just like they have for the last 2 years. Never been a problem until this war.

With 11 players should we be matched up to play an Alliance with 10 or 9 players?

Wouldn’t your opponent then be troubled by the fact that you have 6 or 12 more flags? That’s quite a double-standard…

For alliances at less than max capacity, there is always a chance that you get matched with an alliance with 1-2 more or less than you. I’m surprised you haven’t encountered it before.

1 Like

You do realize that this is exactly what happened… except you’re the ones on the short side.

Again, there’s no sane way to avoid this. The “best” option would be to create an AI controlled alliance out of nothing, but that’s a LOT of effort to code and gives a trivially defeated foe (unless you also create a vastly better attack algorithm, or just completely fake the attacks with random chance). It’s actually more fair IMO to do a mismatch against a real team, either up or down.

1 Like

Sorry but that doesn’t make sense to me. Our Alliance can be equally matched for several years in wars and then all of a sudden it can’t?

I will continue to report it each time it occurs.

Wars are supposed to be equal number of players, equal number of flags and paird up by war score.

This recently happened in my alliance as well so it clearly happens often enough. I feel like it would make more sense for AI to determine the general strength of matched opponents and calculate the elimination of 1 member from the larger alliance to equalize. Yes, that makes it unfair to eliminate a player from war but I’d argue it would be more unfair to allow an entire alliance to go in with a disproportionate amount of attacks. My two cents.

1 Like

It does happen, and usually everyone gets upset (me too). But we have won every time against the higher numbers. It means you are good enough! Your scores are better then the opposing team that has more players. Be proud and go kick some backsides! Good luck!

1 Like

It’s not an issue, it’s part of the matchmaking process. If an alliance can’t be matched up approximately evenly with another alliance of the same size then the matchmaking will check alliances one player different, then two, then up to three (which I haven’t heard of yet).

It is supposed to offset the larger alliance’s flag advantage by ensuring the smaller alliance has a strength advantage (higher war score).

2 Likes

I don’t think its considered an issue. From the start they said this can happen and that the side with more players has a penalty applied to their war score during the matching process.

1 Like