War mismatch 22 vs 23 players

My Alliance encountered once more an unfair war mismatch. Of course it can‘t be perfect each time.
But this time we experienced the most unfair situation so far. Because the opposing team contains of 23 players against us 22 (no one left).
And if that wouldn‘t be unfair enough each win on our side gives even less points than on the opposing side.
The computer clearly devides the total amount of points by the number of teams. But it should be the exact opposite: our wins should give us more points to make up for 6 less attacks.
That should be changed in future wars!
Thanks you.

1 Like

Unfortunately this does happen. It’s rare, but it does happen.

I agree it doesn’t usually happen and it’s never happened in the several alliances I’ve warred with over the years.

That’s why I find it curious that last war my husband’s opponent had an extra team. They are an alliance of 28 members.

This war one of my alliances has an extra team. We are 20 members. Last war, if I remember correctly, one of my alliances also had an extra team.

So, I’ve gone from never seeing it to seeing it just within my own family and alliances, three times in two wars.

2 Likes

If there are 1001 alliances with 22 members opted in, only 1000 can get matched against an even opponent. 1 has to fight an opponent with more or less members.

3 Likes

Nice theory. That is possible though. But there were instances that also that a member was excluded from a particular alliance war even if he/she has opted in for war. And some alliance wars existed where the war score between the two alliance has a significant difference. Yep. I think this is also possible since not all alliance have the same number of members and don’t have the same war score. There may be some discrepancy.

It’s a question now if the player or alliance willing to be matched with an enemy alliance with more member/s or has a better war score than a prompt informing the player or alliance that there is no other faction with the same number of members opting in and/or with near war scores between them. If such is the case, war matchmaking could never be perfected with these conditions. I wonder what would be the best metrics to have a fair match between 2 alliances.

There also can something else happen.
Its situation in my alliance in current war.

We have 1 less player because one of our weakest players didn’t build his war def team and he get removed after start.

Sadly, the team I am in is experiencing this now. We have 29 participating in war while our opponent has 30. So obviously it’s not looking like a win for us since we’re automatically down by 6 flags.

You never know before the game ended. We won with one player short with many spare flags left.
They may underestimate you and get bad boards against your alliance.

Yeah, here’s the thing about these uneven member count matches: If your war score, as a 29-member alliance, is close enough to match with a 30-member alliance, it means your rosters are stronger, and/or you have a better war record than they do, over the last 20 wars. So, while you are indeed at a disadvantage in terms of how many flags you have available (and in terms of how many points each of your teams are worth to your opponents!), you’re also the better players, and/or you have better rosters. It’s probably hard to overcome the numerical disadvantages you’re suffering, but it’s not ALL bad news. If you work together and stick to your plan, you should still have a chance.

ETA: It’s my understanding that there will only ever be, at most, one such uneven matchup at each membership #, per war. In other words, if there are an odd number of 30-member alliances, then the last one that didn’t get matched yet, will obviously have to be matched with a smaller alliance. As such, I suppose it’s possible that you don’t have a similar war score as your opponents, in which case my whole point above is bunk, in which case I’m sorry, I have no further possible silver linings, and you got the shaft. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My understanding is that due to a relatively small amount of alliances running at odd capacities ranging from 1-29 members, it is quite difficult for matchmaking to perfectly match only teams with the same number of players and similar strengths. I think this becomes even more pronounced the further from 30 members you get, and if your alliance is often far from capacity you will probably run into this quite frequently.

@BoolzSan_CrewKNIGHTS is quite knowledgeable about the game, and has been in a similar situation to yours, running far from capacity for close to two years now and could probably share some valuable insight on the subject.

Crew❤️KNIGHTS won them all!
Thanks for the tag! :kissing_heart:

It wasn’t looking good for most of the game, but I guess we had a stronger 6 team bench in general, because we won by a decent margin. It was an interesting war - kinda like having to face a defense with two defensive field aids, though our opponent may have wondered similarly why they were pitted against us.

Happy you had won.
You probably right your alliance have better depth in your hero roster.
So far we met many mismatch even against top 100. We still manage to win at times. Note: we rank 300 ish.
Yesterday war we lost by small margin against a top 100 again, we probably need 3 wins among us to even the score.
Oh well we had fun nevertheless.
Never let a win or loss take over your mental capacity. Just chill and have fun always.

I’m on a three player alliance and we’ve had four opponents a few times. Each time our three teams were stronger than us. Sometimes we won, sometimes we lost.

I am in a 6 players team (just left a top alliance) and we fight against a 7 players team. they got 3 players in the range 4550/4650 and 4 in the range 4150-4250 whereas we got 3 players in 4600/4700, one 4300 and 2 3800/3900. We win easily this time. On alliance with few players matchmaking just work terrible. We win our last 3 wars with scores 7300, 7500, 6500 and differences of 2000, 2000 and 1000 points. On four previous wars we lost with gaps above 2500 points.
Having one player difference on team above 20 players is not that hard to handle. In alliances with less than 10 players, that’s another story.