War Matchmaking Cooldown Question MASTER

Hello SGG team,

There’s an ongoing rumor that the war matchmaking cooldown has been already set (or not yet?) to 5 wars instead of usual 3 wars. That has quiet a big impact for matchmaking between top-30 alliances, especially top-10. Could you please elaborate if that’s the case and communicate this to the whole community, if that’s true?
I am not going to challenge or make a big noise around that decision, I would say it is pretty good for my alliance and probably makes war matchmaking a bit more interesting and brings some extra variety for the top-10 alliances, but it would be really nice to know such kind of things when they go live.

Thanks

2 Likes

@Petri same question here

We indeed increased the cooldown to 5 wars yesterday, this change will be effective for the next war.

We are still monitoring this though and might need to revert back if needed.

11 Likes

Thanks for your reply

1 Like

For the rest of us newbies, what is the AW cooldown period at all? EDIT: I found out and for the second time today you ‘people’ are invoking the need for special treatment due to the money you spend (or as far as I can tell anyway). That is just not quite how others see it. You spent the money to gain advantage and you are complaining that it isn’t so much fun at the top? You paid your way into this situation and want SG to appease your frustraton by throwing you lesser alliances that you can just murder; because, well, you deserve it? Hundreds of thousands of people spend money on this and, for the most part, we just want fairness.
Seriously, what did you think you would find at the top? I can tell you, for completely free; NO opposition. When you are the boss, the world is your oyster but it does not generally deliver you easy snacks.

2 Likes

so what is it? I couldnt find it

It’s 5 now for everyone.

Used to be 4 (I believe).

Reality is tho that for everyone but the top 10 (maybe 20?) or so alliances, it is a LONG time between drinks facing another alliance… matchmaking cooldown or not… Just cause there are more options.

This change affects really only the top tier of alliances.

3 Likes

what I meant was what IS war cooldown exactly? how many wars have to pass before you are matched up with the same alliance?

3 Likes

Yup, exactly :slight_smile:

War Cooldown = Number of wars that must pass before you CAN BE / ARE ELIGIBLE to match with the same alliance again in Alliance Wars.

2 Likes

Did you search: “alliance war cool down”? List “by most recent post” in options? Like @Guvnor said, it’s not that much of a big deal as it only affects the top alliances; but they are whining, I find that idiotic and SG is appeasing them.

3 Likes

Thx @Rigs for the information, even if he went about it in the wrong way.

So, I would like to talk about this, specially after one of my teammate rage quit yesterday due to frustration in war. Why is SG secretly (since there is nothing in the fixlist) and intentionally making it easier for the top 3 alliances in war? Just because one of the whales ask for the change so they can face different teams then the algorithm match them with, shouldn’t mean SG should just crave and let them face weaker teams every 5th war. Giving those top 3 alliances a chance to face weaker teams means making those weaker teams face a team they have no chance of beating in war. This seems like a cheat to me.
If SG is ok with this, why stop there and only make changes that benefit the top 3 alliances? How about SG implementing a cheat, I mean a change, that allows other alliances that face weak teams?

Ok, OK, for something more constructive, how about each time those top alliances get to face a weaker team, those top alliances can’t use 2 random classes of heroes?

Lots of people on the forumn have complain about wars becoming boring, but SG only implemented one change for war, and it was to the direct benefit of 3 alliances while hurting other alliances.

SG is aware of the possible negative side effects, other players, alliances, and even the player that made suggestion from one of those top teams is aware and have all discussed the negatives and positives that could come with this change

The most likely effected teams below the top 3 seem ok with it

If it causes too many 1 sided wars/mismatches or reaches too far below the typical matchmaking alglorithm, @mhalttu has said the change would be reverted and is as easy as flippin a switch with no update needed. The change will take effect starting with the upcoming war

Players and teams do track matchmakings and war scores within at least the top 30 which is where this change will have the most effect and will definitely let devs know if things are goin sideways after the change

I’d give it time to see how it goes and not put weight into my pre coffee gun blazing radical unnecessary reacitve bs rant…

And the one change was made for the top 3 due to how slim match making becomes towards the top of the matchmaking system. It was an easy change that required no development process or updates or testing etc etc etc. Adding anything else beyond tweaking the matchmaking algorithm requires more work, time, and thought

Basically it was a convenient change that would benefit some players. Sure it sucks that a convenient change couldn’t be made to benefit all.

Any ideas of changes to benefit more than the top 3?

7 Likes

Well I am in one of those teams that will most likely be effected, and I am personally against it. Couple in my alliance are ok with it saying it will be low stress since they know we would lose. Or saying that the idea was from within the family anyways. Don’t think either of those are good. Worst is that we just lost a teammate who rage quit the game because of the last war.

One sided war sucks.

I can’t say you guys won’t possibly be effected but i can say i believe it’s unlikely

If an average war score of 123.9 matches with an average of 130k+ it’ll definitely raise alarm and be one of the examples of a negative side effect from the change

Hope a matchup that far apart doesn’t occur but you should definitely revisit this if it does

i believe 128k will most likely be the cutoff for possibility of being matched and matches that low will be few and far between

I could be completely wrong but that’s just my personal prediction

2 Likes

It’s all irrelevant anyway while war scores are completely pointless. In our last 3 wars, our war score has been equal to our opponents, both around 100k, yet they have been massively OP. That needs fixing much more than maybe meeting the same team a bit earlier.

not that I will ever be anywhere near the top 3, but I think that is blatant bull :poop: if they are intentionally matching top alliances with weaker opponents for the sake of “providing diversity” for the top spenders, then simply remove the strongest hero from each player from said alliances when matchmaking - now it is fair for everyone. or remove defense effects for them, but that is harder to quantify.

honestly, I dont even quite get this. they want diversity because they are bored fighting same alliances? but fighting weaker alliances going 6/6 like shooting fish in a barrel is not boring?

Anything more than a paragraph to go with this statement?

It’s a test. No one is even sure if they’ll get that far outside of their normal strength range. It’s still in the wait and see status…

2 Likes

hmm interesting. My alliance is at 127k war score, so would be right outside it unless we win the next war.

I don’t like this at all. Let’s just say, those TOP4 alliance face each other 3 times and then they get one alliance, which isn’t there yet, close put still underdogs. That war gives 5 points to those top4 alliances for sure and now they want to get 2 those kind of wars before facing another TOP4 ally again. Giving them 10 points for sure.

Same time alliances, which are just under that top4 gets two wars, which they lose and 2 points. And others wars are close ones, no easy wins.

I personally find funny to complain wars not having variety, there are always option to go different ally. Isn’t there?