Vote button

There’s no real explanation for the vote button. Are we only supposed to vote for things we like? Does it apply to only the first post, or will my vote change based on how the thread evolves after I vote? What if I like the suggestions that have evolved but not the original post?

What if I think that nerfing the revenge arrows is a bad decision… Did staying silent count as a vote? I mean I get not wanting to add a negative aspect to the forums (like a - 1/+1 option instead of just vote) but it’s kinda hard to interpret how a majority feels when there’s only positive feedback as an option.

Ps I’ve only noticed it in the feature requests category which is why I put this topic here.

Then I guess you could create a suggestion “Don’t nerf the revenge arrows!!!” and we could vote it.

1 Like

Having two threads per topic wasn’t in the game plan for the devs, or if it was then that’s just weird.

Then again since most topics already have 7 threads maybe they just have up on a clean forum presentation altogether.

1 Like

Also, is the 5 votes on a timer? Do I have to only vote for the 5 things most important to me or after a week /month do I get more votes?

1 Like

I voted for this thread to indicate that I think it was an excellent topic to raise but that I believe it’s a nuanced issue that requires further input from all forum participants and consideration from SG before any steps are taken to change the status quo.

I hope that was clear from my vote.

2 Likes

When activated, the vote plugin appears to separate “Votes” for a “Idea & Feature Request” thread from “likes” for individual authors.

Example
Someone on a cat forum creates the topic “Cats are awesome ( 20 characters )”. But then the third reply is “Dogs are better ( 20 characters )” and both the original topic and the reply get 5k likes each, it can be confusing since the software will show 10k likes.

With the plug in, if the topic then got 2k votes, the forum admin can see the idea of the topic has 2k member votes.

The dog person could create their own topic “Dogs are better ( 20 characters )” and it might only get 1k votes.

Likes are plentiful, they reward people being good forum members.

Votes are rare, and indicate things you are passionate about.

Votes would reflect you like the topic thread. Liking a reply would mean you like the individual author’s reply.

Some notes about the mechanic

Removing your vote to spend elsewhere

This is the “Idea & Feature request” that created the Vote button for discourse, but the implementation is different.

3 Likes

First, thanks for the in depth response.

So if I understand the thought process behind it all… Whether I like the op of a conversation or not, if I’m interested in seeing an idea of that thread take off I should still vote the topic in general. Because likes aren’t the same, if they see a highly voted conversation they’ll likely give it greater consideration…

And then we just have to rely on their ability to interpret our actual preference on the subject matter by then diving into the more liked responses of that topic, right? Or are you also implying they’ll likely disregard likes altogether and allow them to be a forum member reward?

2 Likes

They can see who voted, so I would highly recommend that any topic thread you vote for you add an individual reply.

This is the only situation I would ever recommend a “+1 original post” but ONLY if you disagree with some of the replies and ONLY if you use one of your votes for the topic.

Smart Devs will poll either the beta testers, top 100 alliances, General forum or all of the above before diving into coding a “brought to you by popular demand “ Feature request.

3 Likes

I forget how remove votes and its to time consuming and frustrating to search or look for them. Can we not get a locked topic that explains what they are, how use them and how remove a vote?

You can check the threads on which you participated on the thread poll:

Tap on the blue text and it will direct you to a forum page where all the threads you voted appear. Select any of them and you can either maintain or remove your vote. To remove your vote, just tap on the 'VOTED" button:

I hope that helps.

2 Likes

@Ultra ive posted alot. How do I find ones I’ve voted for? What if I never posted on the topic? Were talking year of lingering votes… lol

Click on your profile…go to activities
Screenshot_20210615-193440

4 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I was clear on my post above. Anyway, just find a thread poll (not a post poll), and indicate your vote. The first screenshot above, a pop up will appear: You have X votes left, see your votes. Clicking the blue text your votes will direct you to a forum page listing all the threads where you have voted. You can choose any of those threads, go to the top of it for you to either maintain or remove your vote. To remove your vote, just tap on the 'VOTED" button:

@Dudeious.Maximus has also provided a much shorter and better way of doing it.

3 Likes