Vale @JonahTheBard. RL vs Game Life

I wasn’t going to post this. However…

I just found out (thanks @Jedon @Rigs) that @JonahTheBard has left the game and this forum.

Obviously this is sad news for those of us who grew to respect Jonah and look forward to his posts and responses. I smiled every time I saw his avatar on a thread that I participated in. He is in my stats as most liked and most liked by.

I’ve been sitting here for the past half hour - with tears in my eyes - reflecting on Jonah’s reasons for leaving. My admiration for him has grown exponentially during this time.

One of the most difficult things to do in life is to admit that we have hurt others and ourself. To then take action requires courage and willpower. @JonahTheBard did that, he took ownership of his behaviour, and addressed it with dignity and empathy.

I am sad that I didn’t get the opportunity to say goodbye, and to tell him about the positive effect he has had on my life. So, I decided to write this post, when I would normally just let this news pass into the ebb and flow of life.

We are playing a game. Yes, the emotions are raised because some spend significant amounts on it (no judgement intended), but it is still a game. Thank you @JonahTheBard for reminding me about that. I would also like to thank you for your dedication to the social side of the game, especially this forum. It is very time consuming to read and respond to posts - I see my Regular status as an honour - but to contribute AND moderate … well, I don’t know how they do it.

So with @JonahTheBard’s departure, can we acknowledge the incredible work of @Rook @Kerridoc @Coppersky? Your efforts are appreciated. I sincerely hope that the task is not having the impact on you that it did on Jonah. As @Gryphonknight has previously said, you are paid in praise and taxed in grief. My alliance likes to say “Real life first, game second”. Jonah’s news is a timely reminder of exactly that.

Vale @JonahTheBard, we’ll miss you mate.

31 Likes