Upcoming Q&A with Game Designers - Summer 2022 Edition (Questions)

Costumes for heroes such as Finley and Black Knight are seen as carbon-copies of the original version with a special skill that has been upgraded in every way. Why do you feel that adding costumes like these contributes to the game when you have previously emphasised a desire for hero variety?

8 Likes

Oh, right, totally forgot - will you EVER release avatars of heroes (other than farming or completing rewards) from other seasons than first?
Like S2, S3, S4… I’d love to see some Wilburs, Sumitomos, Ursenas, Bjorns, Skadis, Salmon Lokis, Morels, Griffins, Helos…

10 Likes

How do you maintain your santiy reading through the forums?

4 Likes

Would you please add someone to the Q&A who specializes in communication so we don’t need to spend weeks trying to figure out what anything you say means?! Or have to use my “vague corporate jargon and bs translator”

It was covered above but my main question/request is please now introduce 15-20* Titans. New art and new challenges will take away some of the boredom factor now associated with Titans. Mythics, whilst fun, aren’t really hitting the spot daily where we need it.

One more from me: The need to regulate games with loot boxes and other sorts of gambling (i.e., where users effectively use money for a tiny chance to receive something of great in-game value) has again surfaced on EU and also specifically in Finland. As such gambling is the core financial mechanism of Empires and Puzzles, how do you plan to cope? Are you willing and able to change the game, or just stop providing?

5 Likes
  1. Can you please tell us what’s the purpose of beta, what do you expect from testers and why some fixes/featured goes thru beta and others not?

2. Official calendars are released in the very end of each months, second daily summon via ad is hidden beyond grey tokens, magic troops were totally unannounced… Seems like the game doesn’t want the players to hoard or plan. Why?

3. You often talks about “metrics” and “game economy”, being very vague. Can you share what are you talking about? Not in details ofc, but in general. If not, why?

4. Do you have any plans for W3K unused flags? What do you think of the event? This is more personal, but why should I put a lot of effort in W3K when I can get poor loot from skirmish, warband and Kingdom, despite an excellent performance?

5. In the forum, but also in line/telegram group chat, there’s a lot of negativity towards game owners/designers, and lot of players have lost any trust in you. Do you have any plans to adress this?

6. How many people in the staff plays the game? How much time a day? At wich level?

7. If you were a newbie with a brand new account, would you find the game entertaining? Would you keep playing? Would you spend some dime to “boost” your experience (this last oneis personal, I know)

Thanks however for Q&A, I wasn’t expecting this.

21 Likes

Thanks for doing another AMA!

I’ll repeat my question from the last one, since it wasn’t answered:

My question is about exchange rates in the game. Several games (mobile and otherwise) and gaming platforms (steam and PSN just to name a couple) use to adopt regionalized prices, taking into account the economic reality of each country and fixing prices according to their respective market.

Recently (and this was aggravated by the pandemic and other political factors), global economy is a little more unstable than usual, leading currencies from some developing countries to suffer great devaluation, which caused in-game prices to increase roughly 100-150% for some players in a short time span, because currently, all in-game offers costs the same in all countries (direct conversion from the USD, it seems). Is there any plans to tackle this issue (making the game more accessible in developing countries)? If not, what are the obstacles?

EDIT (following up the question): If this is an apple/google store related issue, could the Zynga store improve this aspect (implement regionalized prices)?

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes
  1. Are there plans to increase the number of Aethers are available in game(chests, MV, titans) etc? Currently there are only 3 places to earn them a week if you win both wars and finish the raid tournament. Between those sources and the monthly quest players will average about 6 Level III Aethers a month while looking at deals there are at least 17 available for purchase a month. The discrepancy was never that much with ascension mats and emblems. I know you guys need to make money but it seems to be a growing trend to offer more for sale and leave rewards to be lacking. When throwing a few bucks on an offer gives better rewards than spending countless hours a day for a week competing in an event you begin to wonder what is the point in even playing.

2. Do you plan to allow heroes to be limit broken further(to Level 90 or more)?

6 Likes

When are the new buildings coming out and will limit breaking troops happen…

3 Likes

Given SSG are fully aware that some of their customers are spending the equivalent of many thousands of dollars into their game, do they (SGG) feel any duty of care for their customers, especially those who may be struggling to deal with the very real problem of addiction and gambling, and if so what support can and do they offer? Are there any plans to invest in this space in the near future?

10 Likes

Sorry, 1 more…

1. Do you ever consider reworking some of the PVM experience, so that killing off the monsters is not the only goal that player has? Seasons 3, 4 and now 5 all tried to introduce new gameplay elements and have some level of extra challenge (the underwild gem, the biome effects, the scepters) but none of that really changed the fact that most of seasoned players were able to finish most of these on autoplay, without being challenged at all. On the other hand, things like new monthly event rules or towers after their rework introduce mechanics where only real challenge is that the monsters are only more difficult to kill, but still the goal is to hit them until they die. Competitor games these days offer various challenges, like turn limit, matching the specific amount of color tiles in the process or making matches in specific places on the board, extra rules that make monsters very difficult to kill unless player forms very specific synergy in their team; all that makes their PVM experience far more engaging, as opposed to autoplaying everything with the same team over and over again. Is that anywhere on the pipeline, or is that considered a core of the game that won’t ever be changed?
6 Likes

My question would be: Are you going to balance, level or give a bonus to the S1 heroes? Thanks.

Mi pregunta seria: ¿Van a equilibrar, nivelar o darles un bonus a los heroes S1? Gracias.

3 Likes

I have so many questions sorry ….

1. What are you going to do about roster space please. You keep releasing all these new heroes and then force people to buy more space to enable them to keep them in their rosters. We shouldn’t be put in a position to feed away fully levelled heroes to create space for fresh ones - what does that say about the game

2. The majority of players think that War of Three Kingdoms (as it currently is) is broken. Have you any plans to revamp this event to improve the player experience overall?

3. You are increasing the power creep in the game with more and more new families of heroes being released at breakneck speed. Do you plan to continue with this trend or slow down? It’s currently going way too fast and getting frustrating… by the time I get around to levelling the next new hero in the queue it’s been overtaken by another hero I recently pulled (it’s crazy) …

4. With regards to rebalance … your power creep rollout has made the game “top heavy” in new shiny heroes. All at the expense of S1, S2 and some HOTM. Do you have any plans for these “old” heroes to be rebalanced so that they remain relevant in the game? It’s not good for a game to have “original” heroes - fully levelled - sat on bench (sometimes even in costume) waiting for a decent buff …

5. I am relatively new to Beta. But to be honest I have to say everything is done at a fast speed. Are you able to slow the beta releases down so that we can properly test and assess new event and new heroes etc so that the problems we experienced with Costume Krampus and Kalo are not repeated.

6. When can we expect to see the introduction of new buildings? And what will they be used for / achieve?

7. Finally - are we likely to see any changes to (a) raids - they are getting pretty boring and (b) wars ie the introduction of 3* hero wars and 4* hero wars like we have with raid tournaments

22 Likes
  1. What is the expected life cycle of this game, do you think it will still be live in 2 years time?

2. In a future ruled by Giant Robots and Cybernetic Monkeys who wage war against each other, which side do you pick?

3. Given how far behind vanilla Season 1 heroes are (at least the 5* ones), why do you continue to feature them in any portal, or “reward” them in TC20 and HA10? Should they not be removed from these things and their costumed versions used to replace them?

4. In this future ruled by Giant Robots waging war with Cybernetic Monkeys, if the Cybernetic Monkeys won, how would that make you feel and why?

5. Why do you allow Salmon Loki, Exceera, Sargasso, and all the others languish in poor construction, but feel the need to buff and make stronger heroes who are already strong, like the Villain Family?

6. In the future when the Cybernetic Monkeys rule the planet, the only food anyone will be allowed to eat is bananas. Do you like bananas?

7. I understand the need for revenue and the biggest driver of that is releasing new heroes, but when if ever are we going to get QoL updates that address a number of issues like Roster Size, Better Roster Sorting (well any Roster Sorting), etc.?

8. Is it true what @ferg said, that you fly the Beta testers out to the Bahamas?

9. Finally, a big one, you say that your internal testing provides a great deal of information on heroes, yet time and again you release either weak heroes or those that are clearly over powered (OP), only to rarely ever fix the weak heroes and here lately, nerf the OP ones. Do you plan on changing your test environment to ensure a greater balance amongst heroes prior to releasing them?

19 Likes

So… what are these dragons that were mentioned last year?

2 Likes

During the last Q & A I asked the following:

In a game, where a lot of our time is spent on auto farming, are there any plans on making this less time consuming?

'In today’s world, and the awareness of the health of our planet, keeping our devices turned on, just to auto farm, without even engaging is equal to turning on the TV without even watching.

I would love to see a more efficient way to auto farm, perhaps by it being on increased speed. Thank you for considering it.’

The response was, that not all devices would be able to cope with an increase in speed.

Technology has come further than last time, so I would like to ask the same question, if that is ok. :blush:

I just think it´s time. Autofarming is one thing, but once a player has completed a stage in a game, I would like there to be a bonus, so that that specific stage can be run faster and more efficiently, than the first time. After all, it´s repetitive content.

I would also like to ask, if there are any plans to please reconsider how Valhalla and Underwild is being handled?

I would love to see a bonus to these, such as Atlantis Rises has. For part of the same reasoning as above, it´s repetitive content.

Empires and Puzzles have grown - and is now in a position, where customer support and engaging with the player base on a daily basis, similar to how game developers of other games do, could help out tremendously.
Are there any plans to do that?

I have so many more questions, but I am positive there are plenty to choose from already.

Thank you for listening. :pray:

16 Likes

Are there any plans to expand the base? Currently there are 2 bridges exiting the base. I’m guessing those lead east and west. Where do they lead?? We can assume one leads to the Plains of Correllia, that would lead us to believe that the other bridge goes to an unexplored portion of the base.

1 Like

What have you learned from the Kalo release and nerf and what are you doing to ensure something like that won’t happen again?

If Path of Valor costs the same amount, why does it not have the same amount of loot as it did before? Will more loot be added to it or the cost reduced?

1 Like

LOL @Yomagn-tho hilarious

well as I am reminded that there are actual human beings answering this Q&A, I will toss in

1. For those of you playing the game, which heroes are your faves? are there any you particularly dislike?

2. For those of you playing the game, which features do you like most (as a player)? And are there any aspects you personally dislike having to do (as a player)?

4 Likes