Understanding DoT (Damage over Time)

Not quite.

The 150% damage is direct damage. It deals damage directly (and instantly) to all targets factoring in a number of components including: Vela’s attack stat, enemy defence stat, attack/defence buffs/debuffs, RNG component and any other modifiers (like miss chance etc…).
This calculation is set out in the following thread:

the 208 Water Damage however is different. It is Damage Over Time. This damage is inclicted at a set rate over a set number of turns REGARDLESS of any attack or defence buffs. In fact it completely ignores all the factors used in the Direct Damage calculation (except the chance to miss).
Damage Over Time (DoT) is explained a lot mroe in this thread:

The amount of DoT is split down on a per-turn basis. So with Vela at 208 damage over 4 turns, the actual amount of damage inflicted per turn is 52 damage (unless the target is Red). Also worth noting that DoT scales with the base attack-stat of the hero. So you won’t get the full 208 damage until Vela is max special skill & max level (4-80 8/8).

3 Likes

I’d have to see some e.g.s on how hard she hits non-fire vs fire enemies (don’t have Vela)

EDIT: oh wait I see a screenshot at the top

^the extra damage from 60 → 102 strong is indeed higher than 40% increase to me. It’s more like a 70% increase instead.

1 Like

70% is correct, for both initial and dot. I wish they were more up front about it

2 Likes

@littleKAF

Edit:
Looks like costumes are currently lacking for DOT heroes. That will be a fun costume chamber.

The top post does not mention the +5% from costumes or +20% for raid defense teams.

Basically any permanent attack stat increase.

2 Likes

You are right. Post 10 inquires on the 20% and Z answers it in post 12. But costumes are not discussed at all. I was really trying to focus on the one topic, but once you pull the thread, things unravel. Good point.

1 Like

Scaling

It is very cool that users discovered the +20% attack stat on defense teams BECAUSE of DOT being a fixed amount per turn but based on hero skill rating and hero attack stat.

DOT used to be a fixed amount based only on the hero until HotM with pure DOT were introduced ( Natalya).

Eating Crow

That last sentence, not very prescient

1 Like

Interesting post…person paying attention to details can irk out few extra damage and/or health by deploying troops stategically

Ok, I understand now, thanks

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Vela Damage over time

Did the same calculation for Proteus:

707 base attack at 4.70 that’s 100%.
Every 1% attack bonus (7 points) brings 1 poison dmg per round.

1. Each attack node will give him 2 poison dmg more
  2. On defense his poison damage is 20 points higher
3 Likes

@zephyr1, has this changed? It is wierd. These are the snapshots of JF on a defense team I attacked:

As you can calculate, the in game attack and defense stat was exactly +26% and +17% of the base stat. However, the in game burn damage was 51% of the base burn damage listed on the card.

No, your screenshots are showing exactly what we’ve observed before.

344 Burn damage x 1.26 from Troop x 1.2 from unlisted Attack bonus for Defenders = 520 Burn damage listed during the battle.

The DoT amount is how we know there’s an unlisted 20% Attack increase.

Right, which is why we say the stat increases are “unlisted” — they don’t show on the displayed stats for Attack and Defense.

We can observe the Attack increase from the DoT, and the Defense increase from running the damage calculation formula.

4 Likes

What if you have 2 heroes of the same element (e.g. 2 Jean-Francois)? Does the DoT double if they both proc?

The general rule of thumb is that if the icon is the same, they replace each other. Here’s another good link that discusses this.

4 Likes

@littleKAF Thank you! Clearly I was searching for the wrong terms in the forum. This is helpful in understanding why I sometimes would see a player run with two HoTM, for example.

1 Like

I have Aruna and colen Both with same Especially if I activate Aruna and deposited COLEN accumulates the damage only after shifts ??

1 Like

Who is Aruna?
I don’t understand your question.

1 Like

this and ARUNA

2 Likes

Ah got it now. He is called Azlar in English version.

The fire damage do not add. They overwrite each other. Only the second one is active.

1 Like

We still have the classic Tumbler Digger.