Trying to determine the number of global players

This shows something. I did it and can confirm is droping. But is it a Proof that the game is no more entertaining? People are leaving or no more interested in raid tournament!

1 Like

Combination of factors.

Active player participation according to Zynga/SGG would be based on their DAU and MAU metrics.

My guess is at least 1m for Daily Active User. Probably higher for Monthly Active User.

Players leave for their own reasons. Amongst which :

• player fatigue (this game is at least 5 years old now)

• player burnout (intense playing over a period of time can lead to this. I experienced this in another game)

• RL pressures (now that Covid is under control, and things are looking up, player needs to find a new RL balance)

• player frustration depending on their game experience. I added this last because this is a very subjective (and sensitive) area. Everyone’s game experience is different. No 2 players have exactly the same “game life”.

By mobile game standards, this game is doing well (enough). 1m DAU. Average monthly revenue is > US$20m, and climbing back up steadily (with boosts from Gargoyle portals, Kale portals and coming soon : Bard then Styx portals)

Fear not! Based on current situation, This game should last out 2022, likely 2023. After that …. ???

Have a great game!

5 Likes

I’ve generally assumed the reason numbers are dropping isn’t necessariliy that old players are leaving, but more that the game is not attracting new players. My guess is player attrition is relatively steady over time, but the game isn’t adding new players like it used to and that’s why participation is dropping.

Don’t get me wrong, players are leaving, but it’s impossible to tell the exact rate at which older players are leaving and how that compares from time to time. It’s also impossible to tell exactly how many new players the game adds and the longevity of those players.

2 Likes

Event players updated for July Slayers

Month Mythic Titan Clash of Knights Tower Challenge Rare Challenge Epic Challenge Legendary
May21 1,236,563
Jun21 1,175,178
Jul21 1,124,392 1,159,983
Aug21 1,103,622
Sep21 1,083,016 1,213,829
Oct21 982,965 1,401,028
Nov21 1,060,145 1,160,024
Nov21 998,847
Dec21 960,697 1,056,424
Jan22 1,008,773 1,112,234
Feb22 932,931 979,811 1,132,460 848,700 737,955
Mar22 814,551 1,033,908 1,064,159 817,556 699,834
Apr22 896,422
May22 960,023 1,021,266 758,163 660,443
Jun22 780,339 904,523 1,043,599 804,061 711,052
Jul22 947,950 1,002,665 790,248 699,307

Rare challenge event hit a new low, but Epic and Legendary still higher May.

8 Likes

Mixed results. Active population is Still healthy.

My CoK for the last round:

1 stage => score 29,045
Rank = 947,950

I didn’t SS this round. Sorry.

4 Likes

Thank you! Chart updated.

1 Like

Variations seem mininal in challenge events, but the decline in CoK is brutal. I would’ve expected it, but not to this degree.

2 Likes

Speaking only for myself, I really didn’t enjoy CoK, so I am not surprised that the numbers have dropped. I have a custom of replaying the challenge event stages until I reach the reward level where I get the troop tokens and the extra energy flasks, but this time I didn’t even want to. I finished the events for the emblems, and that was good enough for me.

(Once upon a time, I was careful or even obsessive about using every spare flag on the 2-flag level of rare so as to max out XP and the chance at getting free tokens, but that seems like a form of self-abuse now.)

This might be CoK’s fault - it does seem like a needless grind at the higher levels - or it might just be that my enthusiasm for challenge events is dwindling. So I see myself in these numbers.

6 Likes

Right. I think the CoK numbers are completely expected. High participation for the first one being new. Second one made much harder and only better loot at the very top. Third/fourth, players realize the loot isn’t worth the effort. I wouldn’t be suprised to see CoK under 700k by January.

I don’t know what SG expects from that event. Bad completion rewards for all, plus bad placement rewards for 90+% of players coupled with annoying mechanic requiring antidotes, and harder than usual monsters and bosses = less participants

3 Likes

SGG focuses on event portals more. As long as the portal brings in revenue, preferably as expected, all is good.

Except for that dragon building and more hero portals to keep money train chugging along nicely, Everything else is pretty much low priority.

5 Likes

Neither am I. CoK is terrible, I dislike pretty much every single aspect of it. I still didn’t see this massive 30% decline coming though.

2 Likes

I predict a similar drop for Gargoyles, if they return. I despise the stone skin mechanic and I might skip that event entirely.

1 Like

I used to be in a fairly decent FTP alliance. There was a general trend that as a player reached lvl 60’ish with ~15 x 5* heroes, they would choose to quit. They didn’t have any new worthy projects to work on, and moving tiles around had lost it’s luster. My sample set is small, observations from one alliance, and the players were FTP or vCTP. But if this is a true, general trend, then some player attrition would be time-based (or milestone driven). We would see spikes in attrition that lag spikes in new people joining the game.

A new factor that might be coming in to play is player fatigue. Gameplay to complete one unit (a stage, a level, a whole event) is taking more time for the average player. And these units of gameplay have filled up the calendar, sometimes overlapping. This is great for the most avid of players, but stressful for those with limited screen time.

3 Likes

Not just that.
The more the event is challenging and less rewarding the more it induces demand: if you spend a lot of resources for nothing you will end up needing those resources. Meaning the average player will be more motivated to buy them.

Any way anything turns into cash flow, really.

2 Likes

Yes, competitive spenders will spend more for challenging events but the other side of the medal is that occasional spenders will disregard said events if the competition is too fierce and the reward isn’t good enough.

3 Likes

I believe we have to start to accept that occasional spenders don’t drive the house choices.
Because they are likely not relevant in terms of return :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yes but with low competitors there will also be less items needed to get a good positioning into the “lower” brackets, resulting in less items usage and more time to stock them without spending.

1 Like

Competition is limited to a very small cut of the players.
They have the metrics we don’t but if we are to believe the industry 10%-50% claim or the more general 20%-80% law a 30% drop in ftp/vctp is easily compensated by what happens up top :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I believe this to be the case as well. I was surprised though in the last CoK, there was competition around the top 1k alliance loot tier. I’ll call it participation competition, individuals finishing to contribute to their alliance score. Unfortunately, we can’t see a list of scores past the top 100 to see the grouping around top 1k. But, even if the top 1000 alliances were full, that would account for only 30k players.

I also agree completely with this. It would take a lot of ad watching for ftp/vctp to account for even 10% of revenue (assuming 0.02 USD per ad).

On a side note, I decided to look through the top 100 alliances yesterday. There were 5 alliances at 29 members, and 1 alliance at 28 members. An initial reaction could be that some members might be titan hunting, “so what”. My reaction was that no alliance 101+ at 30 members was able to take their spot. Sadly, my view is limited, as I’ve never really looked through the top 100 alliances.

Whether it’s 10% or 20% that are keeping the game flush with cash, it will be in sgg’s hands to ensure that they don’t bring a triggering event and topple their game.

2 Likes

Monthly revenue now averages US$21.3m

There should be at least 1m active players. Averages out to US$21.30 per player assuming that all spend some but we know this is not the case.

My guess is that US$21m is more or less earned from about 10% of 1m players, about 100,000 , with average spend of US$213 per player. Some will spend more, some less.

3 Likes