Trying to determine the number of global players

Good job on getting grade E @UroSecondo! :+1::rofl:

1 Like

:joy::rofl: this happens often enough. Grade C is a good gauge too.

We will have a spread of placements.

1 Like

Tough job this! Well done! :joy::rofl:

1 Like

950K players at least did better than not using a single attack on this week tournament having an E defence since day 1

5 Likes

I was ranked 9999 and in top 1% after my Day 4 attacks. Though I think the game doesn’t refresh the rankings correctly

2 Likes

Thank you for this.

This is my compilation for RT participation, score 1000, Defence E :

30-8-2021 4* Bloody = 1145,360 (Mine)

6-9-2021 5* Rush, No R = 1133,805 (Mine)

13-9-2021 5* Buff, No Y = 1135,227 (Mine)

20-9-2021 4* Rush = 1128,826 (Mine)

11-10-2021 5* Rush, All = 1128,018 (Mine)

9-5-2022 4* Rush = 950,910 (@UroSecondo)

2 Likes

Yup, players are going.

1 Like

Maybe if SGG nerphs more heroes, more often and increases the number of summons heroes then players won’t leave.

Truth be told the number of players is not relevant to them.
It’s how much they rake up.
That and just that.

So if hundreds of thousands of F2Ps are leaving… It’s no biggie to them, especially if the new heroes pickpocket the wallets of spending players.

2 Likes

True true. I realised this.

It’s only when the bottom of the triangle gets very skinny, and the competitive players, who usually reign at the top for events, find it harder and harder to stay there, then that’s when some of them will start to exit too cos it wouldn’t be as much fun then for them.

That’s what happened to similar games. First the bottom players started exiting. Then the middle tier. Top tier didn’t find the game as fun as it used to be cos (to put it bluntly) the satisfaction of beating the rest is not as great as it used to be.

Being 1/1000,000 is more satisfying than being 1/500,000.

It’s a psychological thing.

Only the Uber hardcore competitive players will remain, because they just like to play the game and are not fussed whether they are 1/1000,000 or 1/500,000. Or even worse 1/10,000.

4 Likes

Truth be told it is. They do make revenue off MV and losing millions of view per week isn’t good.
And while a hypothetical of halve the players and double the gem buying can be made, that isn’t reality.
Losing players shows the game got long in the tooth - offering less fun for long-term player retention. And it offered less for new players.
When it had 3.5+ million players, it had vibrant F2P, C2P and P2P communities that had Venn overlap in events and alliances.
Whales dropping thousands of dollars a month would rather be first in an event with millions of participants instead of hundreds of thousands.
The loss of the players negatively affects the community, which is something that organically helped bring in and retain players.

8 Likes

Bitter F2P’s (like me sometimes) have foreseen and welcomed this for a long time. I think the bitterness for me began with the ninjas - they were so much better than anything else at the time, and behind a high paywall with few free pulls.

The feeling of suddenly moved goalposts either spurs spending or bitterness. Sure, the nerfs to Telluria and Krampus were unforced errors. But I think it’s the inability to manage power creep that sends people away.

And now it’s actually happening - the triangle is narrowing, and that’s a self-reinforcing, accelerating process. Just as I got my first 5* ninja!

2 Likes

The decline is very very slow. Look at the timeline.

It’s not like the number is dropping by 50k or even 100k per month.

This game should still be alive in 2023.

Go enjoy your Ninja. Congrats! :)))

3 Likes

It had been a top downloaded game in the iStore. Maybe first in its category and top 5 overall. There was a lot of energy then with a lot of new players coming in and most there for more than a cup of coffee staying.
Because there was little effort to cultivate new players right around that S2 to S3 timeline, it was inevitable that the numbers would drop and there would be a push to milk whales more.
Agree that the ninjas was when it became clear: get the money now even if it results in folks abandoning ship.
It had looked like the game had about a three year shelf life. And may not have been conceived to be more than a flash in the pan fad. When it got sold, the parent company needed to recoup the money paid for it and I think that is how the rapid fire new heroes and failure to conduct adequate hero testing (with recurring nerphs that followed) became reality.

5 Likes

Indeed the dynamics are very similar to those of an ecosystem: less grass → less herbivores → less predators → less apex predators
Without interventions it is a system in positive feedback, meaning that it will break at some point. Needs to.
But while in conservationism that’s a problem expiry date is a given for games so it’s really up to Zynga plans :woman_shrugging:t3:

According to my experience that is partially true. Spenders (be it of money or time) want to be first and as long as that happens they generally don’t care too much of how many trail behind.
I’ve seen whales become accomplishes in more game killings I can count by simply sticking to the just let me be the first master plan.

Just think about it: how many quit at the top of their game? Not even Jordan was really able to.

It’s common knowledge I don’t like the direction the game has undertaken.
But we need to fair about this: in order to evaluate ability you need a function cost to optimize and a temporal horizon.
Given we lack such data we can’t really judge their ability.

It’s completely possible they are doing great :woman_shrugging:t3:

Jordan did quit at the top of his game. Twice. Once was to avoid the gambling scandal (after the Bulls first threepeat). And again after the Bulls ownership wasn’t going to bring the team back (after the second threepeat). MJ was getting paid whereas EnPers are paying money to participate. Had he been paying money for the opportunity to continue playing I doubt he’d have stayed as long as he did.

Barry Sanders quit at the top. Jim Brown too. Mario Lemieux as well. The Rock stopped full-time competitive wrestling while at the pinnacle of that sport. John Elway could have gone for a threepeat but retired.

With sportsball, athletes have a short window to make bank. And they need to maximize that earning potential before transitioning to the next phase of their lives.

A better sports entertainment analogy may be advertising in NASCAR. The late 90s/early 2000s saw everyone wanting a piece of the sponsorship. Packed tracks. Huge tv ratings. Then they lost the personalities that created the tension, struggle and controversy. The bottom fell out and sponsorships dried up.

This off-topic but…
Jordan retired three times my assumption is that his last gig was to milk the cow.
Lemieux twice and while he had a good 2002-03 season it was very far from his best not to mention the following two years. If you are at the pinnacle of your professional career in your 22nd season something is off.
While his second-last season was fantastic you can apply that to Tom Brady too.
While you are right about Barry Sanders (and Gronk at the time of his first retirement) I clearly remember many sources considering it wrong.

The reality is made very clear by PSG: a golden boulevard du crépuscule - as they say over there - where the footballers formerly known as great earn huge paycheck by vastly underperforming :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Jordan came back to play for Washington was a condition by the then owner to sell a portion of the team to MJ. He didn’t need the money. His last shot with the Bulls is immortal in that sport. But he wanted to own a team so that was a prerequisite.

Mario retired the first time in part due to health issues and in part due to the allowance of clutching and grabbing ala the neutral zone trap (the hockey equivalent of nerphing heroes). It was a boring phase of that sport where many fans bailed on them. It prevented the best players from showing off their unique skills (why fans go to the games). Lemieux led the league in scoring that last season.

He returned after he became owner (the team was in financial trouble and had for years deferred paying much of his salary so he was able to parlay that IOU with other investors to buy the team). Marion on the ice helped puts butts in the seats and keep the team in Pittsburgh. His health issues marred that second run and he probably only stayed that last season to provide on-ice mentorship to a draft prospect named Sid Crosby. His stats were meh but the tutelage was invaluable and later paid dividends.

Many athletes will overstay their welcome just for the check. Some also want to continue the locker room camaraderie. And they may still be draws with ticket sales and their merch even though their play has declined. In some sports, they also want milestones (such as 3,000 hits or 500 homeruns) to cement their legacy and cash a ticket to a hall of fame. But some have enough money and leave on their terms when they are still in their prime. Sportsball is an entertainment business. It isn’t about wins but dollars/euros.

Whales leaving EnP should be easy: they have more money (regardless of how little it affected the rest of their lifestyle) and time. Some of us set goals and left when they were achieved (and when the game turned into an inundation of new heroes and the shitshow of nerph storms).

1 Like

To be clear, I don’t think power creep is the problem of itself. It’s the rate of acceleration that’s the problem. And I sort of sympathize- it must be hard to get it just right.

And instead the sunk cost phallacy applies.
Whales fall for it as much as anyone else with a couple of curious extra dynamics.

1. don’t assume that all whales are rich and/or can spend with no consequences.
  2. their lifestyle is affected, just not the way many think: if they bail a game where they put 100k their agenda suddenly has a new meeting.
    With another 100k in another game.
    While that could be change to them the real problem is trading off the relevance they have acquired: losing relevance is a change in lifestyle.
    Which, curiously enough, is one of the reasons many sportsmen have a hard time quitting :slightly_smiling_face:

For what concerns professional sport… I was a pro athlete in my greener years :wink:
Nowhere near the names above, but I do know how it works.
In most cases… It just sucks to accept getting old(er) :woman_shrugging:t3: