[May 8, 2019] 🔵 Trials of Mysticism Guide & Teams – Share Yours & Discuss!

It’s time for Trials of Mysticism!

This is the 3rd of the Trials in the 4th Cycle!

NOTE: The Trials officially start at 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT). This post is scheduled to go live 1 hour earlier at 6:00:00 AM (06:00 GMT).

If you do not see the Class Trial in Quests as of 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT), force quitting and reopening the app or restarting your device will usually work.

:beginner: Overview

Classes Bosses Monsters
Wizards & Sorcererss Ulmer, Skittleskull, Balthazar, and Quintus :fire: :new_moon_with_face:
Red/Fire & Purple/Dark

:heart: Final Boss HP

Version 20: Each Boss in Stage 3 has 4396 HP

:sweat: History: Increased Difficulty of the Final Stage

Click for Archive of Version 19 vs. Version 20 Final Stage Difficulty

According to the Version 20 Release Notes, the Final Stage of Class Trials was made harder:

We’ve now been through a full cycle of the Trials since then, so we’ve seen those changes in action, particularly in Final Boss HP, where it’s most directly observable.

It’s also possible, however, that other adjustments were made to Defense or Attack, or to the monsters prior to the bosses.

Trials v19 HP v20 HP Increase
Strength 3907 4080 173
Fortitude 4195 4195 0
Mysticism 4051 4396 345
Serenity 3907 3907 0
Survival 3619 3907 288
Piety 4195 4195 0
Decimation 4051 4339 288
Nature 3763 4051 288
Shadows 3763 3907 144
Justice 3763 4051 288

:dart: Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking

For many players who can get through the monsters to the Final Bosses, but struggle to beat the Final Bosses, carpet bombing/item nuking the Bosses is a viable strategy.

Click for Guide to Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking for Trials of Strength

If you plan on carpet bombing/item nuking, focus on surviving until the Bosses, and don’t worry too much about counteracting them, particularly if you’re going for a full nuke them from orbit approach.
Use your item slots for your attack items, and any remaining slots for health.

Battle Item Damage Reference

Battle Item Forge Level Direct Damage Max DoT Max Total
:dragon_face: Dragon Attack 16 400 132 (requires playing 6 turns between each attack) 532
:bomb: Bomb 12 300 0 300
:hammer_and_pick: Axe 8 200 0 200
:bow_and_arrow: Arrow 4 100 0 100

Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking Strategies

Strategy Direct Damage Additional Damage Required for Stage 3 Bosses
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 3x 4100 296
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 4000 396
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x 3500 896
:dragon_face: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 3000 1396
:dragon_face: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 2500 1896
:dragon_face: 5x 2000 2396
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 3000 1396
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 2500 1896
:bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 2000 2396
:bomb: 5x 1500 2896
:hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 1500 2896
:hammer_and_pick: 5x 1000 3396
:bow_and_arrow: 5x 500 3896

:school_satchel: Additional Recommended Items

Click for Additional Recommended Items
Stage(s) Item Explanation
All Antidotes Ulmer in Stages 1 and 3 casts a defense debuff, and Skittleskull in Stages 1 and 2 casts an attack debuff — all of which can make Antidotes very useful, especially if you don’t have Wizard Kiril to overwrite the debuffs.
All Mana Pots The relative abundance of healer and mana controller options in the Wizard and Sorcerer Classes can make mana pots useful to top of critical heroes and stay in control of the battle when needed.

Be mindful that all forms of mana pots can be difficult to sustain production of with frequent usage.
All Time Stops Time Stops can be an effective, albeit resource-expensive, way of preventing Bosses from firing, and providing you more opportunities to manage the board to charge specials and do damage.

Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.
All Banners Banners are always a good option for increasing defense and/or attack.
All Revive or Miracle Scrolls Revive or Miracle Scrolls can be an effective option if your team is on the weaker side, and the little extra boost will get your through.

Be mindful that Midnight Root, Orichalcum Nugget, and Meteor Fragments can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

A helpful reminder from @Gryphonknight:

:world_map: Guides

:cookie: @Mariamne’s excellent overview of the Trials of Mysticism

Click for Mariamne's Guide

If you need it, @Mariamne’s full guide to the Trials and Hero Classes is here.

@madmarv’s Video Tutorial Using Classic 4* Heroes If Possible

Click for madmarv's Video Tutorial

@madmarv has been doing a video tutorial series for each Trial, attempting to use only classic 4* heroes if possible.

Hero Class Quest Tutorials using minimal items and ONLY 4-star Classic Heroes from Training Camps - #41 by madmarv

:ballot_box: Polls

How did you do last time on Trials of Mysticism?

• Last time I beat all 3 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first stage
  • Last time I wasn’t playing yet, or was unable to beat any stages
  • Last time…I’m not sure, they’re all a blur
0 voters

How did you do this time on Trials of Mysticism?

• This time I beat all 3 stages
  • This time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • This time I beat just the first stage
  • This time I couldn’t beat any of the stages
0 voters

Did you need to use a lot of items this time on Trials of Mysticism?

(hat tip to @JAWS_3D for this question)

• Yeah, I nuked the bosses from space. Ripley would approve.
  • I used some items to finish off the bosses, but it wasn’t the full arsenal
  • I used support items like mana, banners, healing, and maybe a battle item or two, but nothing too crazy
  • I just used some minor items, like healing, mana, or antidotes
  • I didn’t use any items
0 voters

Overall, how do you feel about Trials of Mysticism?

(hat tip to @Rapisu for inspiring this question)

• I love all the Trials equally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • It’s definitely my FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I like it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s about average for me
  • I dislike it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s definitely my LEAST FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I hate all of the Trials, give me my Emblems and let me get back to farming :rage:
0 voters

:left_speech_bubble: Share Your Team & Results!

Post your team in a comment down below, and how you did!

:dizzy: Special Questions for Trials of Mysticism

• Ulmer and Skittleskull both debuff your whole team, for defense and attack, respectively. How did you deal with that? Some possible options are using Proteus to prevent them firing, using antidotes to remove the debuffs, or using Kiril to overwrite the debuffs with buffs. Did you use any of those approaches, or perhaps others?

• Unlike some class combinations, Wizards and Sorcerers offer some healers to choose from. Do you have any available, and did you bring any on your team?

• Proteus truly shines on Quests in general. Do you have him, and if so, did you bring him along for these Trials?

:grey_question: Standard Questions for All Trials

• Did your team change notably since last time?

• Did changes to your team make the Trials any easier or harder?

• What items did you use, if any?

• What are you doing with your shiny new Emblems?

• If you beat Stage 3, who’s eating the 3* Trainer Hero?

• Anything else interesting to share?

:link: You may also be interested in these older threads from previous times Trials of Mysticism occurred:

5 Likes

Uff, that’s the wrong time for my holy elemental chest.

My team setup hasn’t changed (Kiril, Sartana+3, Sabina+9, Quintus(3/70), Skittleskull(3/60)), only the levels a bit. Skittleskull was 3/40 last time.

Even though my team was a bit stronger than last time it’s the first time I actually failed the last level :sob:
I’ll try again when I have recovered my WE, next time with more nuke.

4 Likes

My Team Last Time

My Team This Time

Other than leveling progress, the biggest change is that I got Thoth-Amun to +4 and stopped giving him Emblems, and started giving them to Sabina instead.

The Battle

This one was so straightforward with two Protei that there’s actually basically nothing to say about it.

The Bosses never fired even once, and I used 14 minor healing to ensure all of my heroes remained at full health the whole time.

Basically this one is “beaten” for me — there’s nothing else I need to do with this team to make it an easier time.

Shiny New Emblems

Proteus Prime and Sabina both gained one Node each.

Click for Stat Screenshots

You Again?

All this still applies, but she’s finally creeping up to max:

5 Likes

Kiril - Sartana - Mitsuko - Merlin - Onatel

1 Like

Kiril in for Ulmer and Proteus in for 2nd Sabina at 1/1
Wont be waisting flags on the 3rd one

4 Likes

Try the third.
WE will refill fast.
Go for it :sunglasses:

…

Now my if I had two Proteus story

This time I tried the double dose of proton pump inhibitors and my dead Ameonna supported by Kiril and Sabina. Definitely thought, that I had to nuke the bosses due to tp 3k sth, but… No mana for none. :star_struck:

Weak team did well. :sunglasses:
Aeron ate the trainer.

4 Likes

I like the music, oonce oonce
Righto, ill have to nuke em :rofl:

2 Likes

My sorcerers suck right now, so I have only 1 in the lineup: Jahangir, who dies fast. Got Skittleskull & more importantly Sabina very recently, which will fix that.

Rest of my team is solid: Proteus, Balthazar, Kashhrek ( all maxed) and Isarnia at 3/70. Should get to beat 3rd stage now that she has gotten a bunch more levels.

1 Like

Sabina +7 / Skittles 3/60 / Ulmer 3/50 / Balthazar 3/50 / Graymane 3/50

Which makes me too weak for the third level unless I use a whole pile of items. Chochin 3/50 or Gill-Ra 3/50 doesn’t really help here, either…

Sabina has enough emblems now to hit +8, but I’m not sure whether I should go for crits and attack or heal support and defense.

1 Like

Same time as last time, nothing changed
Onatel helped with mana control in the last stage
Victor and zeline died at the end but other than that was easy
Full wizard team, i still dont have any sorcerer at max level (yes not even 3*) so am waiting for the special someone :rofl:
Am thinking of giving my wizard emblems to kiril but still thinking about it, not in hurry currently
Training hero will have to wait till tomorrow to decide

3 Likes

Success on 3rd stage in only my second eligible trial - just hit stage 30 and my team for Druid/cleric trial is poor.

Wizard / sorcerer is probably my strongest so was looking forward to this one.

Kiril + 6 (now emblems for 8 after the win), Onatel 3/45, Sabina +7, Cheshire Cat 3/49 and Balthazar 3/17

Decided to go safe and nuked with Bombs, axes & arrows, used 3-4 health pots to keep Balthazar alive… pretty clean run, only lost Balthazar.

Other trials will be an issue tho as they are my only two healers … 2 dupe Sabina at 1/1, Kashrek 1/1 and belith 1/1

Trainer hero is getting stashed for now

2 Likes

Its incredible how much a hero can change your outcome in these trials.
If i remember correctly i have never tried the third stage, because i was really poor on wiz/sorcerers.
Last Atlantis magically got Proteus [and in the meantime maxed Ameonna] and d@mn he’s a game changer.

I didnt even expect to use just a few items either with such an under leveled team, was already prepared to nuke them for the outerspace.

• Kiril 3/60
  • Skittleskull 4/70 +0
  • Ameonna 4/70 +7
  • Kashhrek 3/60
  • Proteus 3/60

Surprisingly i’ve only used 2 dragons, 2 bombs and 7 mana potions. One axe attack was used in the first mob level to give me some room for building a bit of mana.

3 Likes

Maybe my weakest Trials team: Sabina (max), Sartana (max), Kiril (max), Merlin (3-60), Kashrek (3-60). It seemed fine on paper (especially with 3 healers) but I had to use 4 dragon attacks and 3 revive scrolls, not my best outing today :neutral_face: glad this Trial is behind me now.

2 Likes

Dayum… bad boards?
On paper it looked like a good team, maybe 3 dark heroes were to many for the boss level where you have 2 dark bosses? I had a much weaker team but i recon that even if the 3/60 Proteus was kinda useless in the mob lvls, on the boss level he was the real MVP.

Hope to get some gloves to bump him to lvl 70.

I didn’t change my team from last time, except for more talents on Sabina. They were:

• Sabina+8
  • Skittleskull 4^70
  • Onatel 3^70
  • Ameonna 3^60
  • Ulmer 3^50

I should have changed out Ulmer for Jahangir 3^50. For the second time in a row, Ulmer died early in the mob waves, depriving me of his special and another target for the mobs to spread out damage. Ameonna looks downright hearty compared to him. The other option would be to emblem him, since I have no other wizards that can use the emblems right now, but that would basically ensure that I draw Kiril immediately!

The problem with this trial is that Sabina and Ameonna are usually great together, but so many of the bosses are purple, which severely hampers that usefulness. Despite an early exit for Ulmer, I used Sabina’s heal strategically and made it thorough the mob waves with almost all my small healing potions. Once I got to the boss wave, most of my matches were under Balthazar, which again is unfortunate, since my hardest hits should have come from purple matches. Onatel’s mana control was key; I probably lose without it. Balthazar targeted ghost Ameonna with his special once, which was nice, and probably saved somebody’s life. Unfortunately, Sabina ended up on the business end of the lightning jolt, which was the beginning of the end for my team. With no healer, I used up my small healing potions pretty quickly, and then Quintus fried Skittleskull. At that point, I only had Onatel and Ameonna standing, so it was time to unload the arsenal. Five bombs, five axes, and three dragon attacks to claim the emblems.

Sorcerer emblems go to Sabina, who is now my most heavily emblemed hero at +9. Wizard emblems stay in storage for now, awaiting one worthy of their power. The purple trainer hero will help me finish my Balthazar project so I can finally start on Domitia!

1 Like

Went in with two diamonds ready and a full charge on specials. Merlin went down quick so that messed up my plan a bit lol. I think I may have forgotten to use an antidote after Ulmer went off the first time because Kiril got one-shot. Oh well, we still made it through! Hoping to draw a Proteus in the next Altantis summon to really go in with confidence next time, and maybe no battle items!

Hardest trail for me. My only emblemed sorcerer is Gill-Ra lol, and that’s due to lack of sorcerers. Sabina is almost there though… she at level 40 and just needs a couple more levels.

With Wizards I have Kiril at least, but no one else really aside from him. Balthazar and Ulmer are too frail for level three.

I do have Mitsuko at level 2/60. She should hopefully be useful against the last bosses (Ulmer mainly) if I bring mana pots.

Waiting for WE to regenerate before trying level 3.

1 Like

My team did not change since last time, there hasn’t been much in the way of wizards or sorcs to level. I will be bringing up Isarnia soon, but Lepus is ahead of her.

The final fight for this one has been the Proteus and Onatel Show for quite some time. Everything was going according to plan, when a normal attack killed Proteus.

Oops.

I suddenly had to tighten my game up, as now I couldn’t keep them from firing their specials. Balt killed Kiril not too much later, and I was really getting worried. I was able to reflect Ulmer’s attack with Mitsuko, which didn’t kill him, but did debuff him. Quintus went off, and he missed Mitsuko and Onatel, but poor Sabina was toast.

I was able to finish Ulmer with tiles, but Balt and Quintus were able to finish Mitsuko. I burned the last of my antidotes to give Onatel what health I could.

I took down Balt before he could fire again, and then worked on finishing Quintus. A normal attack from him hurt, and basically suggested that, if he went off again, I was wiped. I hit a diamond on the board, and the resulting cascade was enough to kill him. It was the narrowest of victories.

The Sorc emblems belong to Mitsuko. The Wizard emblems remain unused (waiting for Isarnia? What is my problem?) The trainer will go to my next 5* purple (one day, have three 4* in line ahead of whomever that might be).

3 Likes

Getting complacent with lineups that worked before might be the greatest cause for losing a trial level which one may not have had trouble clearing before because they tend to forget two factors. One, this is still a Trial stage, not your normal Raid lineup or even your Farm team, so you have to re-adjust your playing mindset to ones that you may not use as much/often. Two, RNG board can screw you up if boards are unfriendly.

As evident by my trial today, I have:
Quintus at 3^52 (slightly better than last time)
Sabina 4^70 +9 (she was emblemed higher since last)
Kashhrek 4^70 (same)
Kiril 3^44 (replaced a 3^50 Jahangir from last time)
Isarnia 4^80 +3 (same)

So… not only did I bring in one more healer than before, I replaced the Red Damage + DOT from Jahangir, should have an easier time right? Well, the mobs are much easier handled since I didn’t have to baby Jahangir from being killed off as quickly. Then we come to the final bosses.

Mad Scientist Quintus who “still” hasn’t learned to control his runaway Golems and his two assistants Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb
Ulmer: You are Dumb!
Balthazar: No, You are Dumb!
Quintus: Silence! My Dumb Dumb helpers. Here they come to stop my out of control Golems, but we are going to surprise them by joining the Golems in the fight! Wee hee hee!
Balthazar/Ulmer: Umm, Doctor… Isn’t that what we always do?
Quintus: Silence!!!

Looking to stave off my dependence of battle items, I chose not to use Timestop that I brought and see how I can handle this with lesser items. So Dragon / Bomb were still used. The RNG showed its hand fairly quickly, not enough green tiles to help do damage to Ulmer and he managed to fire off his special and Balthazar’s quick charge dealt pretty serious damage. The board is also littered with red tiles that would’ve caused damage had I still had Jahangir, so moves that triggered cascading red tiles ended up charging up the bosses fairly quickly. Kiril was the first to go, followed by Quintus. Well, so much for the multi-healer approach and now Kash can’t even reach Isarnia to heal her because she’s on the other side and Sabina doesn’t have enough mana for the heal yet and she’s seeing red. I also did not bring mana potion this time.

Eventually, I had to rely on taking out Ulmer first, by ways of the Dragon/Bomb, and ghosting some tiles to help take out Balthazar. Quintus gave me a scare because he did fire off his special once that almost wiped me out, but a well placed board doing neutral damage eventually finished him off.

Point of the experience. Don’t take RNG lightly, not on a 4000 TP stage, not with a lineup you might not normally be used to, don’t forget to pack antidotes / mana on the fight if you choose not to nuke.

4 Likes