Pros for Kong over Azlar:
- Sturdier 2607 Vs 2536 (maxed unemblemed, by the (2*Def)+hp rule)
- If running with Falcon, family bonus enhances the sturdiness advantage.
- More upfront damage (220% Vs 205%)
- Average mana (vs slow)
- Average mana lines up with other great reds to stack together (BK or BT, Wilbur, Falcon)
Pros for Azlar:
- 7pts higher attack = tile damage advantage
- Damage over time
I think Kong’s sturdiness advantage (even with Falcon) is relatively minor.
Azlar’s tile damage advantage over Kong is even more minor.
DoT at slow mana rarely reaches full effect in the current meta favouring fast hero’s and short battle durations - firing later in shorter battles makes DoT less impactful IMHO.
IMHO Kong has more chance of making an impact, often a bigger impact, better timing-synergy with other reds you’d want to stack with and that’s without considering the secondary effect at all!
That’s kinda the point really… The secondary effect looks pointless and it sometimes is - it can be nice in events and in buff booster, but even if it wasn’t there at all he’d still be the better hero.
I think a lot of people bag on Kong because Anchor’s guide gives him C…
I don’t take that guide as gospel and this is a prime example (eh: Kong gets C in buff booster despite adding a rarely duplicated buff; Kong gets C as defence flank or wing despite being sturdier, faster and harder instantaneous damage than Azlar who gets B on the wing).