Tournament "TOP-1%" calculation

Hey guys,
Kindly ask for your help.

There’s a method to get EP’s active player base - to look at raid tournament top-1% threshold.

At first top-1% threshold was ~15.000.
But about a year ago something weird happend.
Top-1% threshold suddenly dropped to ~12.500, where it stays now.

So here my question: WHY?

It can’t be players’ loss of interest - 250.000 players can’t just delete the game in one week.

Few days ago I heard a good reason - SG changed top-1% calulation algorithm.
At first it was “1% of all the player accounts”, and then is was changed to “1% of all the player accounts, who participate in the tournament”.
The guy said he saw it on E&P subreddit, but he didn’t have a link to the post.

So, guys.
Anyone have any information on this topic? :slight_smile:
I’d be very grateful for any peace of information.

@Saanzi , official comment would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

:+1: It would be really interesting to hear about that.

I don’t know if it’s correct, but I’m guessing this way. On DAY1, the ranks of the first attack (score 0) are all the same. I guess this number is the number of entries. The 131st tournament is about 1,009,000 so I read that the 1% line is about 10900.

1 Like

It’s not been that quick

We see tournament participants drop. We also see mythic titan participants drop. I bet we’ll see clash of knights participants drop.

I don’t think the calculation has ever been global players. I’ve always thought it was players who sign up. However I think everyone who gets a zero counts as one. I haven’t proved that out but it aligns with some tracking the community has done assuming we always have a large number of zeroes.

There’s already plenty of bad rumors out there. This just seems like another one. It shouldn’t be hard for SG just to say “ rank is based on number of tournament participants” but I doubt they respond here.

1 Like

How exactly do you see this?
Your personal ranking can’t be objective since there are different bonuses and different average score within different tournaments.

The only objective thing is the “top-1% threshold”, which stays at ~12.5K for about a year.

I always thought it would have been based on number of participants - would be silly to be based on number of accounts

Edit: Incorrect post. Nevermind. :laughing:

1% of player accounts, who joined the tournament, makes more sense.

Why would SGG include players who didn’t opt in? That would dilute the population base.

2 Likes

Best ways of “seeing it”

1 Track yourself:

Not a ton here, but I can see it becoming harder to get top 1%

2 plenty of forum posts. Whether it’s Mythic Titan or Raid Tournaments (or even challenege events) plenty of folks post about the score and rank they have. It helps create expectations. The number of players placing in top 1% has been falling.

Each event sees it. I don’t think it’s new. I don’t think anything really changed.

I do think you raise a good point of how exactly it’s calculated. And it would be nice to know what the cutoffs for each are (even score would be helpful). Unless someone is tracking and shows the exact week it seems like just a gradual decline like everything else.

Google play shows 50m+ downloads. Do an alliance search in-game, and you’ll find alliances with accounts that haven’t played in a long time. It would be hard for me to believe that top 1% was ever based on accounts (1% of 50m is 500k). I do recognize that one download doesn’t automatically equal 1 account, I don’t think 48m downloads we’re never linked to an account though.

Has the counting method changed? Maybe, or maybe people found the bottom tier rewards not worthy of participation.