Tournament Fairness Suggestion - Remove Continuation

I’m not spending another cent on this game until the arbitrary 75 gems to continue tournies is gone. Boards are too arbitrary and a gem limit when you already have hard flag limits is ridiculous. Just let people play their flags out. Other little micro gem grabs are annoying, but this one actually stops you from playing one of the few fun modes remaining (standard raid is so awful some of the best players advocate intentional cup dropping, as at the highest diamond levels, all teams are OP, and it basically comes down to the luck of drawing a good board–and diamond tier rewards are basically as good as the tier below).

The level of cash grab in this game is just over the top and is ruining it. Its barely a game any more, just a very sophisticated interface to reach calculated push points that try to incentivize the player to go back to that wallet some more. The only reason I’m still playing is I have an awesome alliance that keeps thing fun. I feel much better about every video game purchase I make that isn’t E&P–you know, when I buy actual games, not gambling systems that keep 100% of the money.

1 Like

I just did an experiment and ran all mono in 56 raids (10 in the tourney) without skipping, and got an 84% win rate. So, it is not just about getting a good starting board.

While I wouldn’t say the diamon tier rewards are great, the ham and food is good. And at the rate of 3 per day I would get a 4* mat roughly once a month, which you wouldn’t get at that frequency in the lower tier.

What constitutes OP? What win % would you need to have to consider your opponents not OP? 90%? 95%?

I personally am OK with 75 gems for buying back in. You don’t always need to do it (yes it is difficult, but a challenge should be difficult) and if you do purchase it then it is the best value 75 gems you can spend in the game, as long as you can secure top 1% instead of 5% (the value goes down depending on which tier below top 1% you end up landing on)

Every player has that option. Good for you.

For some, that 75 gem may be worth it on the following basis: (1) that 75 gems for another 5 raid tourney flags may help in filling up the raid chest instead of buying the 100 gem raid energy refill from the in-game Shop, (2) that 75 gems may be worth it if you land on the top 1% or top 5% due to the guaranteed 50 emblems since the in-game Shop sells emblems at 175 gems for less than the amount given in top 1%-5% in raid tourneys, (3) that 75 gems if at top 1%-5% may net the player other goodies from the rewards, i.e. ascension mats, EHTs, ETTs and the Reset Emblem, the latter which is cheaper than resetting a fully emblemed 5* hero to cost 171 gems.

Nah. That is wishing upon a bright shining star. SG needs as many ways to earn back their money, too, and more. SG and Zynga are not non-profit companies.

Good thing you consider and recognize that the boards are random.

I agree.

Disagree. I can still do raids and had fun doing it.

Can you identify these so-called best players advocating cup-dropping? I know they have their reasons, i.e. improve the player’s profile’s highest combo, or longest raid win streaks, or to test out 3* and 4* defenses for future raid tourney defenses, but definitely not because these “best” players have difficulty filling their raid chests.

Not necessarily.

Nope. The food and iron reward are higher, much higher. These are needed to emblem more heroes or produce more battle items to improve scores in the challenge events and against titans.

That is on the perspective of players who have tendencies to buy. But for the point of view of purely F2P players, or of those who don’t have the money to spend on pixels they wont even own or bring home, or those who are disciplined enough to resist the temptation, they often ignore those gem offers and consider them just a mild nuisance whenever the same is bannered on the screen every now and then. I have an alliance mate who played since 2017 without spending a dime in the game and still continues to do raids, maps, quests and wars. Yeah, he doesnt have the good heroes, mostly owning S1 heroes and some HOTMs, but he doesnt mind and fully understood that rich people will always have more physical (also pixeled) things in life than the poor ones. Failure to grasp this understanding, this reality, it only means the player is living in a dream world.

In sum, if you are not happy with the game, its mechanics and its direction, the best recourse is to leave. SG is not aiming a gun on your head to forcibly keep you playing. Other new players from new markets come in and fill in the chasm. And the cycle continues. The old and not-so-old dies. New ones are born. Every. Single. Day.

3 Likes

Or more accurately, Zynga want their money back, and more. SG were already turning very large profits from the game, otherwise Zynga wouldn’t have given them a second glance. That the micro transactions have increases exponentially since SG were bought out does, in my opinion, show who dictates how content in released into the game, not what that content is.

The P2P aspects, for want of a better description, aren’t going anywhere soon, unfortunately for the OP.

As you say, every player has the option to pay, not pay, quit or just take whatever is dished out.

1 Like

I should have waited half an hour to not respond when I was annoyed, and appreciate the feedback.

I want to clarify one thing. The problem with raid for me isn’t that it is hard to clear chests, it is that the higher I climb the more boring I find raid to be. Its better since the Telly nerfs because their is more variety, but it’s still mostly the same characters and same strategies over and over. I’m varying it some to do more 4-1 and 3-2 to make things less board dependent (and yes the boards are random), but the bottom line reality for me is that raid was much more fun while coming up and the higher my team goes the more boring raid is for me–just drudgery to clear chests mostly.

The players online (reddit and youtube, don’t remember names) weren’t top players, just well experienced with defense teams capable of keeping them in diamond. They didn’t cup drop to clear chests, they cup dropped because they found diamond raid to be boring. While it is fun to see if you can crack the top few thousand in a tourney and stuff like that, I don’t care at all about being a top raid player, it’s just more boring the higher you climb in my experience, which is a huge design flaw from my perspective.

I love tourneys because of the wide variety they offer, and think it is a disservice to have gem barriers to continues, because it’s puts a pay wall on one of the most fun experiences of the game. Pay walls should generally be for should be for summons, items, support like 2nd builder or aethestic items (avatar images, background, etc).

One last thought. I do data work for a living, and a few years ago, my company almost hired some data and programming consultants who do a wide variety
of data analytics work. One company they had worked for was EA, analyzing game and player data to try incentivize players to make more in game purchases. In a nut shell, the company would figure out how to design the game math to gradually increase difficulties in game scenarios so that players would first get highly engaged by a series of beatable fun challenges, and then be hit with a difficulty peak that would cause them to narrowly fail or die, a calculated ‘push point’ to get them to just buy a continue or have to redo a long, difficult challenge (they even had calculated how long those should be to make the most effective psychological push).

Basically, the company took and redesign the game not to be a gaming experience first, but a payment incentivizer first. I am not complaining about gaming companies making money–I’ll gladly throw $60-$70 on new console titles or $5-$10 a month on online games like this that are complex and fun and constantly developing new content and gaming experiences. But the gaming experience should be central always, not sometimes but at other times just mechanism to pass players between pay points.

It’s not as bad as some others, but I see these moments and feel this way about E&P frequently, even as I like the core game and building a giant army to mix and match to meet all challenges and events as needed.

I can’t remember feeling this way once about games I buy and play with my kids on the Switch. Maybe you buy a good game, maybe you get a bad one, but so far without exception you 100% buy a gaming experience. This games feels less and less like that with every Goblin Balloon, pop up ad or ‘push point’ I encounter.

One thing that would help peel this back for me a bit would be if they weren’t so rapacious about the gem/cash grabbing. Small potatoes like not gem blocking tourney continues would be a huge step in that direction imo.

1 Like

I also see this game losing its base over time given the attitude of “if you don’t like it leave” is given to longtime players who have developed large armies, have played frequently and really invested time in generally being good at the game. I’ll still sick around to smash Titans and do war with my awesome alliance, but you convinced me that I should mostly play other games, and definitely stop giving my money to Zynga and open up the wallet for console gaming instead. In that regard, thank you!

I typically try to find defenses that wlil provide an interesting matchup to mine, namely Freyas and Beras and other summoners. Protected by Skadi is a bonus. I just took on a challenge to play only mono for 50+ raids and not skip any defenses and that proved entertaining, as I typically would skip until I found a matchup I was either comfortable with or I found entertaining. During that 50+ run I saw a lot of different team variety… (2500-2700 cup range).

Regarding spending I genuinely don’t think you have to spend to be competitive, at least once you have an established roster. I did a big spend last month and got bubkiss from it and so I will revert to zero or minimal spending and still be competitive and still enjoy all of the different challenges available. 75 gems is something I am willing to spend for more raid attempts and the chance at better loot, but I always try to not get the 4 losses if possible./…

Early game the 2nd builder is a huge help, but if you have highly developed buildings and a deep army, I agree completely, spending money is not at all a significant advantage. I have enough difficulty leveling all my heroes as is lol!

The irony is it isn’t the money specifically I’m worried about. I’m fine to slowly grind gems at F2P or occasionally buy a few here or there on impulse (especially love the buys that give alliance players gems too) and be C2P. It’s just that I find those little attempts at grinding down every gem highly annoying either way, especially when it seems like the game design is pointed to get people to spend gems (like 4 loses in 25 energies lol) and not experience the game first.