Time to wake up and smell the roses

The definition of competition is arguably the most vague and abused term, imo.
Usually lacking the caveat of consistency.

A thousand different alliances will rotate in and out of the top 100.

crossing into the top 10 is when the landscape changes NOTICEABLY…!

I’ve played in a top 10, 100 and 1,000 alliance.
I noticed no difference in the last 2.
I think some folks who want to push their narrative of “competition”, have no idea what it means to actually play at the top, at a consistent level!

Have no idea what it takes to actually pay top dollars. Just kidding lol

1 Like

The top 100 list is not the best indicator for actual top alliances. I can look later for the link that monitors top alliance more accurately.
However,
When I was up top there were between 15-20 alliances rotating in the Top 10. They rarely dropped from the Top 100. Not sure how many make that rotation now.

Those alliances are hyper focused on a very specific Wall Defense. And there is just no getting around this… it is expensive!

But even more important is the 6 war flags that you use to deal with your enemy who does the same thing. That is even more expensive!

Your joke is a true story…

Now that meta counters are so powerful to disable an opponent with their PASSIVE
You can preform consistently just by owning multiple copies. Otherwise… your performance will start reflect RnG influence with some missing hits in war. And your alliance will slip.
And then… so will you!

For everyone else who competes on a mediocre level, boring out 6 warflags against similar alliances is an effort well defined by a connect 3 mobile app. Most can do that with some creativity utilizing “what they have”.
Versus…
what is dictated to be Meta by new portals…

1 Like

Sadly, new Aethers and another Limit Break that no players asked for is likely coming.

Only 528 heroes in game today. LOLZ.

1 Like

Im still looking forward to changing our defense formations during Alliance wars.

Is that 528 5* event heroes or does that include the useless 1-3* too?

Also going to break off on another tangent-

The passives and family bonuses are getting pretty ridiculous too. You have to tap into each hero and do a full book report for every move you make or you’ll end up dead.

Passives were great when they weren’t potentially gamebreaking.

1 Like

That 528 count is 3*, 4*, and 5*. I.e., the heroes that get used for normal gameplay. You can’t really call 3*'s useless since there are dedicated 3* Tournaments.

I left a month and a half ago and I’m sooooo glad I did. I’m spending time playing Lotro. I played for two years until I had spent money to emblem up many of my heroes and then they just got nerfed anyway. This is a very greedy company that exploits people by dangling a carrot in front of them just to take it away. I deleted my account and will never be back…
Ive saved alot of money since I left.

Soon we will be able to buy Heros.

Watch me!

Friar Tuck is useless.

So there!

6 Likes

Here you go. Started at 2508 and reached top 100 with 2900 or so. 13 wins 3 losses. No rerolls apart from those less than 30 cups (because i cant afford infimite refills and the associated time)

I did record them all but i dont think anyone wants to watch 16 raids

4 Likes

Let’s be honest: we should smell the roses as regards freemium gaming in general. The moment you download and play games with paid tiers or subscriptions, you’re saying you’re OK with other people paying to do better than you in the competitive aspects of it. Took me a long time to accept, but it’s true.

Me, personally? After I quit this game, I won’t be back to mobile gaming; I grew up in a world where you paid for your game, and that’s it - after that, it’s all down to skill and technique, and, if there are competitive aspects, satisfaction from competing with players on the same playing field. Any add-ons you paid for were more for different characters or artistic features, and didn’t give you an unfair advantage over anyone else.

I appreciate that I’m old-fashioned, but I just don’t understand people who spend hundreds or thousands on one game that, in a previous era, would have and should have cost only a few tens of pounds or dollars at most. For a similar amount of money, I can get a Steam Deck or several games that are several orders better.

8 Likes

Figure out what a quarter in 1985 was worth in today’s currency and then try to guess how many quarters you pumped into video games and pinball machines. You didn’t own those games either. You paid your quarter and got to play. Phone games have replaced that… not games you buy. Those are still out there. Buy them. But don’t claim you never spent money to play a game.

1 Like

What the game effectively has but cannot be seen is Leagues like in UK/European Football.

The top spend a lot and are in a Premier League.

Then it filters down. You just can’t see it in the game (though it is tracked by private individuals)

So much like a Football model your Manchester Cities with infinite wealth are always going to have better players than say a Wrexham that has famous owners but operates on an entirely different income structure.

People need to accept this in the game because money talks.

It’s not CoD or some other BR style game where player skill is a big differential. A game where the heroes you have make the difference is always going to favour those willing to pay what it takes to have them.

I cannot compete in the Top 10. I’m arguably a Top 500 player on events but the difference between me and the Top 100 is vast. I’m not going to be upset about that…I’m not prepared to pay what is required to obtain it.

I think @Homaclese rightly said on his F2P post that expectations are set by the player, not the game. If you expect the latest 5* then either you’ll get super lucky, be very disappointed or dig very deep in the pockets

4 Likes

Where in my post did I claim I never spent money to play a game? Literally in the first two paragraphs, I said “paid for the game”.

And there’s a massive difference between pinball machines and arcade games, and games you play on a mobile. If I’m going to pay continually, I’d at least like it to be on a machine with a big screen with a big pro setup to make it an enjoyable experience, not a diddy little phone screen. And I still wouldn’t spend hundreds of dollars on an arcade game - that’s what home consoles are for.

I do go out and buy games. I’ve got plenty of them in back log too, and I play them. And I will be playing them from now on instead of mobile gaming, as I said.

I’ve recently returned as well and it’s as bad as it looked like it was going to be. My solution? I haven’t spent for some time before leaving anyway but now I won’t spend a single penny here. It’s gotten absolutely ridiculous.

1 Like

Absolutely. That was the point of my post. And it’s because I’ve come to that realisation, and also the realisation that I’m not OK with it, that, once I’m done with E&P, I will never go back to mobile gaming.

I went off football years ago, exactly for the reasons you’ve stated. And I’ve gone off E&P, and by extension any game that uses that model, for the same reason.

I’m not going to make out that it’s a wholly terrible game - I wouldn’t still be playing if it was - but, having spent roughly what I think the average videogame is worth, I think I’ve probably got the most out of five years of play that anyone is likely to, and there are plenty of aspects of the game I don’t like, am not happy with, and will be leaving it as a result.

1 Like

:yawning_face: