Tighter trophy range for raid matchmaking

The raid matchmaking algorithm sucks. AFAIK the trophy range for a match is ±300 cups. I’m at 1500, so at 1500 it’s between 1200 and 1800 cups. There’s huuge difference in that range. I’m constantly facing over +600 team strength opponents. Beatable still but only with a very lucky board.

If there millions of players, why not make the range tighter, for example ±150 cups? Or a percentage of your trophies, for example 10% of your trophies?

There are lots of cup droppers wanting to fill their chests easily. Cup range doesn’t tell much about team strength.

10% up & down of teampower would fit nicely maybe, but battles against much heavier teams are the best ones.

At 1500 cups that I mentioned, cups actually tell a whole lot about team strength. I don’t have the numbers but I estimate that from 1200 to 1800 the average team strength difference is way over 1000.

That might be different at other trophy levels. What trophy ranges are you referring to?

Cup droppers is another issue that this of course won’t solve. To solve that, you should look into the root causes why people are doing that. Other games have ladder systems too but no so many cup droppers.

1 Like

Welcome to the community btw.

:slightly_smiling_face:

The reason for cup dropping is pretty evident. The next chest timer starts when you open the previous chest. The faster you can fill it the less gems need to spend to skip wait if that’s your jam. It should be very easy to do 2 hero chests a day if you cup drop.

1 Like

In my honest opinion, raiding has got a little tedious lately. In Diamond you face all the same tanks that are heavily emblemed and you wake up in the morning to find that someone has trespassed on your land and borrowed your cups.
When I go through the tower to look at the teams that have raided me - in all honesty I don’t really look at the the trophy counts. That means very little with people cup dropping constantly.
What really makes a difference is the hero line up and how many emblems they have loaded onto them. It’s that that makes me decide if I should revenge raid or not

As Wibble said.

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that the whole reward system in raids is broken. What do you get as reward if you manage to beat a tough opponent with higher cups? Nothing. Just tougher opponents in the future. And then it’s again harder to fill the raid chest which is the only reward besides loot (which also doesn’t depend on cups or cup difference).

For example in Clash Royale which also has a ladder system you don’t lose anything but cups if you lose a match. In E&P you also lose a raid flag.

So with the current incentives the optimal strategy is to stay low and only fight lower cup opponents that don’t take you higher in trophies.