Thumbs down to devs, thumbs up to moderators and my teammates

Nice to see you, too bad it’s on your way out. :confused:

As for account deletion, the moderators can’t help with that, you’d have to contact Support by submitting a ticket.

Of course you could also just not log into your account, if you prefer.

1 Like

Sorry to see you go @TGW , but that is how it goes with these games. No matter what the game, there is only so much of a shelf life before you lose interest / hit a wall / get too frustrated with it. I have days where I get very frustrated with the game and have comtemplated stopping soon myself. But then the game RNG decides to throw me a bone in the form of a couple tabards and tomes so the wall has moved back slightly. We’ll see what happens when I hit it again.

If you are frustrated with the game you need to ask yourself why that is. And if it is something deep enough to continuously sour your mood then ask yourself what you are getting out of the game and is it worth it?

5 Likes

All available evidence suggests that you are quite wrong about this. Yes, many people quit after a year or two (as you’d expect - it’s just a match 3 game) but there are always plenty more lining up to replace them.

To date, SG has both made its founders very wealthy, and has also proved quite profitable for the company that bought them out. That’s a fairly massive success.

I have no problem with anyone disliking the menu of low probability events the game offers us; it’s surely not to everyone’s taste. I ask only this: don’t cloak your personal preferences in the facile and provably false claim that SG has a bad business model. It is demonstrably a spectacularly good business model.

Nonsense.

That’s a perfectly reasonable opinion that probably indicates you are reaching the end of your time with the game. Good luck finding something new. Some of us find the game full of things to keep us excited - and there are always new players arriving.

6 Likes

I commend you for consistently beating Ursena and Finley with your season 1 heroes! You are an inspiration!!

As for season 1 heroes, I’d welcome anyone to scan the top 100 players in the Raid leader board. When I did a day or two ago, not a single team in the top 100 was all or even 4 out of 5 season 1 heroes. I dont remember seeing a team with 3 season 1 heroes but I cant say that for sure. What’s that tell me? That season 1 heroes do not match up to the event heroes.

1 Like

people ,do you understand ?the odds are qworse than vegas.

3 Likes

It is always about the business model and how SG makes more money. Why isn’t it about customers satisfaction?
This makes me really believe that the devs already made enough money to drop the game, and just milking the cash cow as long as it is possible. But why they then developing the game further?

Raising the odds: well, there will always be the one, who is not satisfied because he/she didn’t get the 5* hero every pull. But atm when many people invest money to make 5-10 10pulls and there is no 5* event hero, it is frustrating.
That’s not bad luck, that is calculated control of people addiction to collecting things.
SG, give people the heroes they want, after paying, and get in hall of fame of game devs.

1 Like

Here is your original criticism:

So it seems you were suggesting that the problem was the likely deleterious impact on profits. Obviously that’s wrong.

Of course, as a customer you’re entitled to be dissatisfied. I’m a customer too. I’m very satisfied,

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me, but why isn’t it about customer satisfaction? Many people who left were very ambitious to play the game, but they quit because they couldn’t be satisfied, due to very low odds.

1 Like

The game is set up to be a long, slow road to development. That way you become engaged with it and play for years, or you become frustrated with it and quit in weeks. Changing the summoning odds would completely change that dynamic. The game would no longer be something to play for years but months. I’m sure the developers decided they prefer the “play for years” model.

I’m also sure they were likely quite surprised at the amount of money people are willing to pay into the game. I know I am. This is a simple game to play, yet also a complex game with many layers to it. Most players only glimpse the many layers. I know I do.

There are basically three types of players here:

1. Whales, who spend a lot (some in the hundreds per month). They are the most engaged and the most aware of the complexities of the games. Alliance dynamics, hero synergies, etc.

2. F2P and C2P, who spend little to none. I count those who just get VIP pass here as they are not spending to get the heroes but to accelerate their progress. These are the grinders who play for the fun of it. If they play long enough they will reach the levels where the many layers become apparent. But they’re not interested in “being the best”. This is most definitely where I fit in. I don’t have the bench depth yet to realize much of the hero synergies available. There is too much similarity in S1 heroes.

3. Those in-between who do spend to try for the new heroes but do not have the means or the desire to spend in the whale category. They try for the HOTM’s and the event heroes but often fail.

It is the players in the third category who seem to do the most complaining. Some I think suffer from gambler’s fallacy thinking that the more they spend the better their odds are.

6 Likes

I’m going to get jumped on and sneered at for this - and have to admit it is a little hypocritical, as I do spend (large minnow - small mackerel level). I do, for example, have the amazing BK as my defence tank, having received him last year on his debut, keeping my team for the most part in lower diamond when before I was grateful to find myself in platinum in the morning. (Got a whole Merlin this time round. Determined to use coins only for this event, but man, how tempting it is seeing LotL’s fried-egg eyes goggling at me from the portal screen! I have no 5* healers, unless you count good old Rigard with +20 and costume. Bless his heart.)

But there is so much more to this game than drawing shiny new cards. It’s a terrifically fun aspect but it’s by no means the only one. Yeah, I can’t break into the top 100 either (though I did briefly dip into top 100 in the UK the other day, go me!). But when the big fish deign to raid me I sometimes revenge successfully, boards permitting, and that’s satisfying. Doesn’t bother me if I get squished because I expect to lose but decide to have a go anyway, to see where I get, and sometimes it actually works!

There are titans, wars, tournaments; there are weird-looking campaign enemies, with the promise of a bunch of new ones; and there are PVE events and quests, which it has been proven can all be completed not only by 4* but by non-costumed, non or lightly emblem’d S1 4* at that. I’ve done some of them myself and I’m by no means good at tile manipulation. It’s tricky, but that’s the point, right? If we could all just make 30 pulls and be guaranteed the IWIN HOTM who just blasts through everything it would be f’in’ boring. Everyone would be doing it, including doing it to your defence team, remember :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’s frustrating when you can’t get the mats to ascend your shiny event hero, just as it is when you can’t get the event hero in the first place (O Falcon, where art thou?). But it’s interesting and challenging to find out how far you can go with 3.60s/3.70s.

Just, you know, play the game and hope for something nice you weren’t expecting, because expectation inevitably leads to frustration. Or pay zillions and get most of what you want, with the understanding that it’s never guaranteed, and play round what you perceive as gaping gaps in your roster, bearing in mind that it’s richer and fuller than that of most players.

Or to put it another way: pretty much everything Brobb said above. As usual.

9 Likes

I can very well see the frustation, specially of getting those same old tired and mostly useless season one heroes. And it was different 18 months ago. I can remember my first summon in an Event, Fuardians, a 10 summon got me 4 jackals, one falcon and a hotm.
But there are worse frustations, like actually having a great roster of heroes ( I am not a whale, but maybe a dolphin), and realizing that with the changes in game, they are not relevant. It all depnds on great luck now, not much thinking. I do remember a time one had to carefully consider heroes to play an event, or a raid. Nowadays, no good with all mono color and insane grinding or shopping for materials. And new heroes, each more stronger than the others just pouring over us.
The original buffet is now little more than some gruel and bread.
Why don’t I leave, at least yet? For one I am sort of a creature of habits, played my last game for 5 years. Second, still did not find another game to entice me, and having mobility issues, I depend on books and a game to distract me. And always hope the game will become, once again how it was, when skill counted.
I have no doubt this model deals directly with addiction, the same that will have people always using one more coin in a slot machine.

5 Likes

I think of the game as a hobby. It’s something you do to enjoy and pass the time. But if the hobby takes away your joy, then maybe it’s time to find a new hobby.

This game offers two tangents of gameplay.

1. Play to win (in the sense where there is an end to the game). Each season has accumulating stages with difficulty and a final boss battle like most traditional roll playing games such as the Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, but you are kept on a steady path of progression and must beat stages to move forward like Super Mario World. To some players, this is why they play. Once the final bosses are gone, they move on with their lives until the sequel.

But there is also the 2nd tangent:

1. Play to enjoy (the more hobby approach) with participation in Raid Arenas, Wars, Titan Battles, Special Events, and Tournaments that appeals to the Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter type of players (even though these games also have a single player progressive story like Mike Tyson’s Punchout). Trying to beat your best score in a Challenge Event which is a classic arcade game approach, is another part of this tangent. In this tangent the game doesn’t ever end, and it is not supposed to. It’s there to challenge you internally without a clear or visible path of progression. Unless you keep records and data of your own personal progress.

I’m a mixture of both types of players, so that’s why I play this game, and I think most people, who play Empires & Puzzles, are also a mixture of both types.

Each player must discover what kind of player they are and see if this game is right for them.

2 Likes

@Branwen excellent point about formerly good heroes being made less and less relevant by the never ending troop of the newest heroes…and Season 3 isnt even upon us.

I’m sure customer satisfaction is a key concern of SG.

I don’t know anything of their internal workings so let me speculate. Perhaps they recognise that they can’t please everyone. Perhaps they have identified that their best income sources are whales and plankton (and perhaps an occasional large minnow - small mackerel), not jellyfish and salmon. Perhaps they therefore aim to satisfy the former group, knowing that the latter middling sea creatures are not long for the world of E&P.

I’m sure that is true. I’m sure many others continue to play because they are very satisfied.

2 Likes

Thank you, but it’s no challenge. If you really find it difficult to beat Ursena and Finley with season 1 heroes, then you’re using the wrong season 1 heroes. Just tailor your team to your opponent and life gets very easy.

That you are seeing only defences and have no clue what heroes players use on attack.

1 Like

I would add to the point that as expectations are being met and satisfactions quenched, that such circumstances are only fleeting. What’s to stop a player from raising the bar on expectations? Suddenly what was satisfactory before is not so satisfying now. And thus, the cycle continues along with disappointment and frustration until contentment can be reached.

@Brobb that is true that it only shows their defense team but c’mon, do you REALLY think that their defense teams are filled with the event heroes and their offense team is dominated by TC20 style heroes? Respectfully, I find that really difficult to fathom.

1 Like

Or, Donde esta la biblioteca? Which roughly translates to, I don’t bargain, punkin.

I guess Deadpool quotes hurt :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Honestly, I stopped doing hero pulls. Thought about it during this challenge, every free challenge pull rendered a season 1 3*, so they got no extra $$$ from me. Tired of that garbage, got enough useless 5s to work with if I get bored of my team. I get the frustration. They could reward their players and get a thrill out of screwing them. Been skipping hero draws for months and not regretting it.