Thumbs down to devs, thumbs up to moderators and my teammates

Well. Since apparently the mods can’t directly delete my account here, so I continue to receive email notifications every time somebody farts on the forum - I know, I know, I can disable those, I was just kind of hoping someone else would do it for me so I wouldn’t even be tempted to come back here… yet here I am.

And yeah. Full disclosure, I’m still playing the game. If by “playing” you mean spending 5 minutes hitting the titan, then autoplaying a bunch of the “game content”, sure. I’ll still do that. I’ve invested enough time and money into this game, I’m not going to just delete all of my progress. Just wanted to delete my forum account so that I wouldn’t be tempted to come on here and talk a bunch of ■■■■ about all the things I think are messed up about the game. Because that’s not what the forum should be about. It should be fun and informative, etc.

But I can’t in good conscience post here without acknowledging that I think the whole microtransaction gacha model is ■■■■■■■■. I can’t just ignore the fact that the average cost to summon a legendary hero is somewhere around $100 USD… for one hero. And that’s for a random hero, not necessarily the one you want. In fact it’s highly unlikely that you will get the one you want.

It’s fine… those odds are posted, it’s not a secret"

Yeah, great. The odds are posted if you know where to look. But I think there are a lot of players (especially newer players) who aren’t aware of just how terrible the summoning odds really are. And yeah, you can get lots of heroes for free if you’re patient. But the reality is that training camps only give season one heroes, and they’ll never be as good as S2, HotM, or event heroes. (unless maybe “costumed”… but between the lowered summoning odds for costume heroes, combined with the fact that you have to essentially “level” those heroes twice to reap the benefits… that’s a whole separate issue that I don’t care to delve into)

I apologize for posting emotionally. I’m an emotional guy. Yeah, I know, the game “experts” look at the game analytically, but I don’t play games for maths. I play games for fun. Games are supposed to be emotional. “If you’re not having fun, don’t play” or “don’t pay”… 100% agreement there, which is why I don’t play nearly as often as I used to. I’m really not interested in someone’s spreadsheet data “proving” that the game is “fair” or whatever, because it’s a game, not a physics equation. If it feels wrong, then it’s wrong. Period.

And when I said it was a bad business model, I didn’t mean bad as in “unsuccessful”. Obviously it’s a very successful business model. There will always be people with lots of money who are willing to throw it away for a perceived advantage in a video game. Great business model if your only intention is to earn profits. Cater to the big spenders. Can never go wrong with that. When I said it was a bad business model, I should have specified that I meant “bad” subjectively. I personally don’t think it’s right for a game to dangle fancy overpowered heroes like a carrot on a stick, knowing full well that only big spenders (and a few extremely lucky lower spenders) will ever have a chance to pull them… with the obvious intention of lulling people into spending more, and more, and more and more, until they get them.

Aw c’mon… that’s just business, man.

Sure. I guess. I just think it’s a ■■■■■■ way to run a business, personally.

But that’s just, like, my opinion, man.

I don’t completely hate the game. I don’t want it to die. I just want some things about it to change. And yeah, sorry, that’s just my “emotional, subjective” opinion. Sorry I don’t have compiled data spreadsheets and sociological studies on why ‘gacha’ lootbox microtransaction games are harmful to society as a whole. I just have a “gut feeling” that the whole concept sucks.

… now cue the game defenders to come here to tell me all the reasons why I’m wrong for feeling the way I feel. Why I should be grateful for all the hours of “enjoyment” I’ve gotten out of the game, in fact I should be giving them more money, etc. etc. etc.

15 Likes