This is one of the worst Events y'all have ever done

Personally I have no issues with the event difficulty, but looking at people both in my alliance and on the forums, it seems that a large part of the player base may struggle with them for various reasons.

I believe that completing the event shouldn’t be an exercise in frustration, it should be fun. If someone has an okay team for the given ladder and yet struggles and bites the cables to merely complete it, I imagine that’s just a turn off.

This is why I think tiered rewards would help everyone to enjoy the event fully (complete all stages in whatever difficulty their team power points to) and give other types of players, from extra-casual to extra-tryhardy a proper challenge.

Then, the rewards would be adjusted and would make sense.

Nobody complains about the Rare Quests because (the way I see it, ofc):

a) the rewards are fair compared to the effort required
b) the difficulty level is clear for all to see

There’s no dissonance and no unpleasant surprises.

4 Likes

Again, if we make all the content easily accessible how does that not turn this into Bejeweled or similar?

No game can be all things to all people, it just isn’t possible.

The thing I like about this game in particular is that some of the content is a challenge, and if I don’t either play well or use a reasonable team I’m going to wipe. That’s why I found EQ / WoW so engaging back in the day in addition to the community those games had as well… I’d make the argument this is the closest I’ve found to that in a phone game.

Many games have events where newbies simply can’t complete, there’s other content for them and not all content needs to be made available to all portions of the player base in order to have a successful game.

I guess I’m just struggling with the concept that extra-casual gamers wouldn’t simply just find another game more to their taste? For that matter what is the reason to progress in any game from a design perspective if it doesn’t open up additional content / challenges? To post on Facebook? :rofl:

There needed to be something beyond raids, 10* titans, and rare quests from a design perspective - has to be or the game will fail. SG went and did that with events… if it weren’t events it would be something else.

I did the first stage on the main in Intermediate, and placed 129K and change: I think that’s substantially more people than played previously though I don’t have a similar datapoint for Intermediate and I didn’t think to grab one from Beginner; certainly seems like SG appears to be winning with their current strategy.

The major complaint I have is the same as it has been previously: rewards should be better for a larger number of players outside the top 10 (or top 5 on the first event). This event certainly didn’t change that, and I agree with the comments that rewards were worse this time than ever before for completion… even if there was finally a shield.

I have never played Bejeweled so I have no idea.

The problem is that this game is more casual than WoW, especially the WoW of the olden days where it didn’t cater to casual players at all (Ni Hao (A Gold Farmers Story) - YouTube :rofl: )

But if you look at WoW currently, you have the Raid Finder thingie or whatever it’s called. Basically you can be the biggest n00b the game has seen and you get to experience all of the content. Now if you want glory, then you partake in the HC raids and all that. But a casual player can “finish the game” (explore all bosses, all raids, with any class they desire) without being any good.

That’s kinda what I think “completion” of the tiers is equal to in this game. The casual mode, for people who say have their 3* team, or their Joon, Marjana, Lianna, Ares, and Musashi, but can’t really play, or don’t have the items to ascend them, or whatever else. A person like that, in my personal opinion, should have a pleasant time (challenging, but not frustrating) to complete the given tier. ESPECIALLY BEGINNER TIER!

Now if they wanted better rewards, glory, satisfaction, big challenge - that’s when points come into account.

If the scoring was clearer - how much does health matter, how much do combos, how important is time - then they could work on actually overcoming challenges by points.

The basic fight doesn’t have to be difficult at all to accomplish this.

I mean, look at idk, Saper, or Pinball, or… Tetris idk (I’m so sorry, I am not a casual-game player, my examples are pathetically limited :rofl:). The basics are so simple a 6 year old can play it. But it’s one thing to finish a Saper board in three days, and another to do it in under 80 seconds or however long it takes for good players.

I can probably play Tetris infinitely, I’m smart enough to put shapes into properly shaped holes, but I am absolutely certain I’d be laughingstock at any Tetris tournament.

And yes, my mind was absolutely blown when I found out there are Tetris Tournaments :scream_cat:

As for why the casual players won’t find a different game: I don’t know, but I think it’s a good thing they don’t. A casual player grows the community, occasionally pays a few bucks, spreads the word. It’s not a bad thing to cater to them too, as long as more hardcore players have their toys provided as well :slight_smile:

There are things to like about this game aside of the challenge. Some like the art, others enjoy the simple match-3 combined with building and hero growing, some others might enjoy the extra-leisurely ‘PvP’ aspect, I don’t know. Whatever they like - as long as they’re having fun, everyone benefits from it.

4 Likes

I was there when raid finder was introduced in WoW: there’s a reason we still ran pub runs if we wanted additional runs beyond our alliances, because there was no way some of those bosses were beatable by the vast majority of raid finder runs until everyone had the gear to overpower the content. RF at best was used for filling holes… there was nothing worse when I played my druid as a healer to get a tank that just wasn’t any good, and I still recall the times I joined as tank and people were overjoyed that I wasn’t proving that cluster was only half a word.

FWIW you got the exact same thing for people trying the events and wiping in this game, and I’d argue there’s the exact same reason to try to progress.

I’m not certain we can claim this is more casual than WoW, there’s elements of the game which do cater to the casual player, same as WoW, and there are elements where you have to be much more “hardcore” to take down… again, same as WoW.

Bejeweled is just one such example of a popular match 3 game, could take Candy Crush, or Angry Birds Match or any number of others frankly: if the developers had wanted that game, they would’ve built it… and probably lost as stated, marketing budget.

It’s a vocal minority I’ll grant you on this forum who are complaining (many of whom are frankly usual suspects), but the fact is over one hundred thousand players attempted Intermediate, and I’m willing to bet a non-trivial fraction completed it.

1 Like

I’ve played for a month or two in the Raid Finder in WoD. Half the people were afking most of the time, nobody cared, some barely moved, and the raids were still a complete stomp. I have no idea how you found groups unable to complete them :face_with_monocle: Not saying you’re lying, just saying you must’ve had a solid n00b-luck lol. My experience was entirely different. But I haven’t played too many, I’ve realized rather fast into the expansion that I must’ve gotten too old for it. Showing up on time for raids, setting specific evenings aside for a specific game, I just cannot and do not want to accommodate that sort of thing anymore :mage:

I would definitely argue about this game not being more casual than WoW. To me it’s the definition of casual. The match-3 genre in general is, add to it the very long waiting times for things, energy costs that block you from becoming a no-life, no advanced chat infrastructure that would draw people into long debates, not even a friend list. There are no achievements to tryhard, no stats to theorycraft properly (there should be though), no advanced strats to get a hold of and practice (in WoW you had to learn a whole bunch of skills of your class, then skills of bosses, practice using ones while playing around the others, while cooperating with your raid mates etc, it just generally required more learning-effort).

Well, vocal minority will complain on the forums, but neither of us know how many players silently quit the game, or complete the event and are not happy with it - meaning to quit in the near future. We also don’t know how many truly get frustrated and stop spending. Just as we don’t know how many are content.

Our vocal minority here is the only thing we have access to and the only thing we can really go by. But these guys here are certainly one of the most dedicated players around - if they weren’t, they wouldn’t bother coming, obviously :slight_smile:

This event was disappointing. I agree with others above.

I have played this game for a long time now and regularly complete all stages at events.

However, why bother compete for top prizes or buy into game if sacred rules are not followed?

1. Players that work for the game should not compete in events and should not get rewards! In this game, the opposite is happening. All games have players that work for the game… they try their best not to have any major effect on the game. You know players I’m referring to.

2. Heroes that were made available this event, should not be allowed to play the event. Also, ridiculous that players that work for the game are using fully leveled maxed out heroes from this event.

3. Same players should not be allowed to win top prizes in different divisions. Why do that? Makes it impossible for others to catch up and makes game less competitive. Have each person designate which category reward they want to compete for and let them compete there only.

4. Make reward better for everyone who completes. Extend next category to top 1000 and so on.

Perhaps intoruduce less powerful heroes at one time. Theme was good. Execution was a blah

Repeating unsubstantiated and frankly false allegations simply makes you look foolish regardless of how reasonable some of your other ideas for improvement are.

Never thought I’d be cheering on France, but Macron’s desire to ban fake news is absolutely righteous.

1 Like

It’s too bad that there are rules and regulations and plenty of lawyers in this game. Several people have taken pictures of certain players using fully leveled heroes from this event for this event before completion of the event.

Furthermore, what you want to alienate some of your top spenders by now labeling posts as fake! Ok buddy…

Really.

I leveled Natalya from nothing to level 80 in just under 2.5 days since I pulled her at the beginning of the event. The individual you’re referring to and some others who maxed event heroes in the same time frame, had more stockpiled than I did as I had only started about 2 weeks prior and didn’t store nearly enough food to do it more quickly, and it’s a lot easier to max a 4* anyway.

I could’ve done similarly with the event heroes I did pull, but they weren’t as immediately relevant to me.

If you’re a top spender, and been a long time player, I’d expect you to understand some of the fundamental mechanics in the game such as this TBH; I do label your allegations as false, and where on earth did you get confused that I or the other individual presumably referenced work for SG?

Not sure what your role here is, but get an idea.

• Tell me, how many heroes and how much food does it take to level a 5* hero such as Natalie to lv 80 hero from scratch to full?

• Do you keep all 4* level resources handy for event for multiple heroes?

• Did you participate in Beta? Do you think information from there should give you any advantage over rest of the players?

Some things are better left unsaid, so I will quit here.

@Dori

I will not get into the rest of the debate, as I’ve no clue about the rules concerning employees playing the game or whatever.

So just game mechanics wise:

#1. No idea, too much math. But seeing how I’ve got 22.6 millions of food stashed away, and 25 recruits per 100k of it - and I’m only level 33 still actively leveling heroes - I’d say it’s entirely doable. Especially if someone has also a lot ready heroes waiting in the training camps to be picked up whenever.

#2. I have 14 yellow orbs stockpiled, as I had no heroes to use them on. Granted I got about 2-3 times as many orbs total than other items, but I can imagine if someone’s been playing for a long time and buying special offers they may have plenty of 4* ascension items ready to use. If I rolled a Jackal at some point, I’d give him the orbs instantly.

#3. Quite a lot of players participated in beta and they’ve also been sharing the info on the forums. Besides, beta is actually open for anyone’s application. In my Alliance I believe we have 4 or 5 players that have applied and been accepted to the beta. None of us are in any way affiliated with SG and most of us didn’t do anything but complete the event.

4 Likes
  1. Approximately 4-5 million depending how you level.

2. I assume you mean 4* heroes, yes I have enough 3* ascension items for multiple heroes saved up over my six months playing; out of the higher tier ascension items I had enough for both red and yellow.

3. I do participate in beta though I focused on raids and barely did any of the event over there, but I wasn’t looking to compete just wanted to complete. As for information being an advantage, the information is shared by multiple beta testers to multiple alliances, and it doesn’t matter for the event anyway as every competitive player re-runs the same levels over and over again to eek out a better score. It’s not just one and done like I ran, and placed somewhere around #500 as a result instead of chasing top 100 or 10 as I’ve done in events past.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the resources end-game players have: when you’ve run out of heroes to level, you just store up fodder on TC’s, food where you can (I suppose TC20 is where it’s at for that), and the 3* ascension items tend to pile up too. Add this to the stockpile of both swords and backpacks which accumulate when all your camps are running TC11 and you can have a tremendous amount of fodder on one’s account just waiting to level any hero you pull.

Shoot I still have around 300 left on mine even with Nat being done and my already moving on to other heroes… for me food is the limitation, but for serious spenders, they can buy that too.

2 Likes

hopefully developers take feedback from the post and use it to make event better. Just don’t like being labeled fake news! Not labeling anyone in this forum as working for SG, although if you are… great job :wink:

I have never had any real trouble finishing the events in advanced and intermediate, but no perspective to finish high enough for extra rewards. This event I didn’t bother to finish intermediate because of the disappointing reward. Not worth wasting the mats on. I wasn’t able to get past stage 10 advanced after 15+ tries and I have over 4000 team power. I tried different teams using advice from top players, but only with the right combo of heroes fully ascended which I didn’t have I feel I could have finished. Or maybe with some extreme luck. I just feels like I wasted so much mats and I absolutely stranded. Only got daily token as a reward. Guinnevere’s special fires so fast and my debuffers were drained by Morgana and my purples useless as a result. I was doing pin ■■■■■ damage, while being drained and picked off. Even three healers didn’t work out. Tried everything.

Event surely was a challenge, but it was the nature of the boss that was tricky and make them appear so much stronger.
I explain myself better:

Ranked people naturally complete the stage in less time, spanking the boss with no mercy and getting little to no damage, because they literally don’t leave the opponent take a move.
Struggling people on reverse just need to finish the stage, so they take their time to do it and don’t care about timer.

The trickery of this event was that more time you need to take them down, more difficult it becomes.
I can assure you that even top players that fail to kill fast a stage boss, in this event may not succeed to pass through even with an ideal team, or in Gwinevre case, it become a veeeery long run.
Autocure boss have this peculiarity, so that’s why that was so different respect previous events.

Personally, i liked that beginner part was more easy this time, i don’t feel like it was the more difficult out of the 3 category, and it gives the feelings that devs has listen to us.

Again, what i really don’t like are completation reward. On the contrary, this go exactly in the opposite direction of the majority of people feedback/feelings, and i don’t really understand why do such a thing whatever the event was, more difficult or not.

2 Likes

I think you are referring to Beta testers (“Players who work for the game”) because they may have tested the event beforehand and therefore seem to have an advantage.

I understand this sentiment, though I don’t necessarily agree with it.

First of all, “work for the game” gives the wrong impression: Beta testers are volunteers only and receive no compensation whatsoever from SG. Second, I saw beta testers posting knowledge on the Forum well in advance of the events. The ones who have the advantage are those who read the Forums. (This time there were at least two threads that told exactly how to beat the event.)

Just saying. :wink:

6 Likes

Only #4 is valid. The rest is just jelly-belly.

2 Likes

I think beta testers are needed in any game to pull off events without glitches and yes forums like this have a little advantage, but it wasn’t the end of the world.

As far as impression that some of the people at the top do work for SG… it is a fairly widespread opinion among alliances I helped and to make sure that this sentiment does not grow, my suggestions #3 and 4 should be followed.

Limit rewards for people to one category. There is no reason that a new player who does amazing job at the competition should compete in beginner category with top 100. Same for intermediate. Some adjustment should be made to better balance the game. Top 100 in each category should be different players for better resource distribution and to create better competition.

Also, increase prize pools… most games estimate prize based on percentage of players participating and adjust numbers upwards with bigger enrollment. That has not happened since Summer I think.

Sounds like you just want to penalize ppl that are good enough and smart enough to level a hero fast.

I was a bit dissappointed that I could not complete all of the stages in intermediate and advanced, but I also do not have a fully maxed team, so wasn’t really expecting to I guess. After blowing through most of my bombs, banners, etc. i decided to just cut my losses, lol. I did manage most of the intermediate level and half of the advanced, then just decided I didn’t want to use any more of my resources.

I also managed to pull cademon, Lancelot and Morgan, but won’t have the resources to level them up for a while.