This is a sad day

I can only imagine how you would feel @TheDarkLord.

I didn’t get a Tell or Vela when they were the HOTM, but I was/am upset for all the players who maxed out a Tell and/ Vela. Actually, my all-round game guru decided to retire because of the first nerf…

There’s some good advice here already including @ferg and @Infinite.

As you don’t spend money on the game, I’d suggest you consider joining the FTP Rebellion. I’m sure that we can offer you (or others) constructive advice on how to make the most of what you have.

For anyone who doesn’t know, you don’t have to be a f2p to post there.

5 Likes

You have to understand the following:

Telly and Vela were not nerfed because some folks complained that they were unbeatable.

Telly and Vela were nerfed because they ruined the game state for top 400-500 alliances to the point where they were literally all you faced every single war ad nauseum. They were all you ever faced in diamond arena. They were listed as entry requirements to a good half of the alliance leaderboard.

They were overbearing to the point of making the game boring. And, most importantly for the decision to implement a balance change, it affected SGG’s cash flow - having such a strong, relatively easily obtained core made top spenders complacent with pulling any other heroes, and the sheer boredom reduced the overall player numbers.

Balance changes are essential for game health, and will hopefully continue to be applied with no hero being safe (though, difficult to acquire heroes like ninjas or the oncoming magic tower heroes will likely be much safer since they’ll always remain too few to shift the meta as hard).

8 Likes

Now imagine how the people that spent money to get Telluria feel…

2 Likes

That’s an interesting point that bears a deeper investigation, I feel that maybe some form of compensation should be offered to players that have invested in new heroes that are then nerfed (downgraded)

I felt/feel disappointed that the nerfs that affected Telluria and Vela had an adverse effect on my roster and in hind sight I would have levelled up other heroes that I had in my roster at the time which may have helped me progress faster or better in the game

However I made my decision at the time, both Vela and Telluria served me well until I acquired and promoted newer better (maybe) heroes, I do feel it is/was a sad day when two heroes,that I had invested time and resources in fell down the pecking order, but I suppose that all players go through the same process to a certain extent with their own heroes

Getting back to your point I do think that SG should offer some form of recompense to owners of nerfed heroes

I’m glad I didn’t get stung financially chasing Telluria and Vela, but I do have sympathy for those that did as I have for those that didn’t

I would generally agree in this particular egregious case, but the game has no technical obligation to make that happen.

The gacha model makes it a point that you don’t buy heroes per se, the product is the gambling process. Heroes are specifically framed to be a shiny portal ad, but not the product.

It’s exceptionally sleazy, but those chasing after a particular hero are considered pre-warned about the risk that they aren’t going to get what they want, and even if they do, they might not get what they expected from it.

Besides, balance changes are a thing even in games like league of legends, where you can buy specific characters directly, and then a patch or two later, they’re nerfed to be borderline unplayable, or reworked to have an entirely different identity and abilities. You get what you pay for at time of purchase, but there are no guarantees. That game, however, has to think about competitive integrity a lot more, with multimillion prize pool tournaments and whatnot. Here it’s not that much of a case.

But I digress. My point is, nerfs and buffs are pretty essential, and getting meaningful nerf compensation is about as likely as SGG making you pay extra to make use of buffs.

2 Likes

They did give a bunch of emblems at the time iirc. Whether many people thought that was adequate is quite another matter, but to be fair, they could have given a non-transferrable picture of a pair of fingers. (Perhaps they should have done that, but made it an avatar; it would have been very popular!)

Finally pulled the trigger today. Dr. Moreau did her in.

On the other hand I still use Vela on offense quite often.

3 Likes

Wow! 1500 emblems… :thinking:
I’m sure you won’t regret your decision…
New players will find it hard to believe, Telly was once the must have tank… Craaaazy!

1 Like

I never got the whole Telly is evil thing. I found other heroes far more threatening and intimidating.

The return of emblems amazes me. Having only accumulated 13590 emblems in total, I’m kind of gobsmacked.

A game shouldn’t be sad at all.

Telly and Vela were degraded to vanish in averageness. I stripped both directly after the 2nd nerf. Both were +20.

I wonder that this is still a topic.

I dare someone to contradict this statement.

1 Like

Cookie Settings