Theorycrafting the Raid Tournament

People in my alliance (and this is moderate alliance, with folks between 700-2000 cups mostly) have also reported that the raids they faced today were more difficult.

As expected (given the assumption of tiered defenses and that we all hit one in one day, first the lowest 25%, then 25% to 50%, etc.), the teams Iā€™ve faced today are slightly higher level, but clearly not a match for my roster. It went up from unlevelled 2* heroes to partially leveled 2* and 3* heroes. Not expecting to get attacked until tomorrow at the earliest.

I had the exact same theory yesterday regarding the buckets.

Additional note: looks like any defense team that was not attacked received 500 additional points at the end of day 1 (equivalent to winning 40% of the defensive battles).

Moderatorā€™s Note

FYI, SGG has responded about the poor distribution of matches:

3 Likes

Which creates an issue

If defense points are overall, someone who gets attacked and loses on day 1 and never attacked in days 2-4 has no chance of improving their defense score, while someone who never gets attacked period or not until day 4 gets free points that were not earned.

I donā€™t have an issue with the basic setup but some tweaking may be needed. Everyone should have the same chance to earn the same number of points in a day both on offense and defense

I believedyou to be right in this until I saw post in ā€œbugsā€ forum by @SWEG. His first opposing defense of second day was tp1300 (near enough). This shows there is a problem big enough to say tournament isbroken.

Agreed, and glad SGG acknowledged there are problems with how matches are being picked that theyā€™re trying to fix for next weekā€™s Tournament.

I think weā€™ll see this improve over time, but itā€™s definitely not working properly yet.

1 Like

Can I ask, did you click the ā€œgo to battleā€ button yesterday after you had finished all 5 flags? Because I did and the weak-sauce Day 1 opponent is showed appears to have been locked in as my first opponent on Day 2. That person was 50 bonus points lower than any of my other flags today. So I think I screwed myself by jacking around inside the tourney app after I had finished my 5 flags yesterday.

1 Like

Hmmmm itā€™s an interesting thought. I donā€™t think I did but I couldnā€™t say for sure. I have clicked on Battle now, will see if that enemy is selected for me tomorrow.

I read @Petri 's message. It told me too much.

Before I go on, I must say I am not nos nor have I ever been a developer, a code writer or anything else in IT. I have, however, participated in many tournaments (in a regional pool tourney tonight). Setting brackets or open-flights is not rocket science; especially not RNG first.

There is a core problem which must be addressedā€¦and it is simple.

Theorycrafting about defense

With no color restriction I think Iā€™ll try these defenses when possible:

• Rush attack
    • With heroes having so much ā€œunbalanced speedsā€ I would try to punish as more as possible every single bad board and I think that Cyprian, flanked by two mana controllers, would fit the tankā€™s spot perfectly
  • Bloody Battle
    • With no heals I think weā€™ll have to force our opponent to attack with purple heroes (Sabina and Rigard would be almost powerless) while also stalling offensive heroes. Li Xiu is the right choice here.
  • Buff Booster
    • Kiril serves two buffs, that would means a total of
      30% attack + 30% defense + (20% attack x 2), and your other heroes would serves as buff-preventing net, with treathening empowered AoE attacks on the flanks and buff removers as wings
5 Likes

I think itā€™s a good lineup. Any red hero that would throw a buff as well? Scarlett is the only one Iā€™d question. I havenā€™t taken a deep dive into my heroes yet but have just given it a quick cursory thought. I donā€™t have a leveled Caedmon, so would probably go Sonya/Melendor, or even Melendor/Sabina to have de-buffers within my 4*s.

Idk but itā€™s the same for me. Day 2: The teams are stronger but are still getting matched with significantly weaker low-level players.

I havenā€™t been attacked and neither has anyone in my alliance. The lowest level player in my alliance is at level 27

Iā€™ll be curious to see your experience. also, from Day 2 to Day 3 if people are eliminated (via the 4 offensive losses) will their defense team even still be available?

I played with the app yesterday because we were working through discussions on the forum about whether changing your offensive team would change the available points. Thatā€™s the reason that I clicked the ā€œgo to battleā€ in the first place. At least 2 others in my alliance did and they all had the same weak opponent waiting on them today. That 254 really hurt compared to the 295-310 that my other 4 flags were worth.

Same in my alliance - lowest is 32, then next lowest is 39. 0 attacks. Seems to be either (1) intended, or (2) at least consistent with the programming. Moving something like this from a small beta to a 1.2million+ tournament has clearly brought some issues in. I, and the rest of my alliance, kind of tend to forget that there are a lot more level 10-20 players than there are 40-50-60 level players.

The buffing 4* reds are

• Boldtusk
  • Sir Lancelot
  • Sumitomo
  • Wilbur

Sumitomo could be a reasonable choice but Boldtusk and Lancelot would be redundant with Kiril while Wilburā€¦ he would also buff your foe, so itā€™s a no-no.

Scarlett would remove attacks buff on 3 targets and with Kirilā€™s buff she would hits pretty hard with her high attack score :slight_smile:

This time around it was allowed to use every color, that not be the case most of the time.

When a specific color is forbidden, you probably simply want to use the weak color of that element as tank.

1 Like

Ye, these defenses where thinked without color restriction (as stated above)ā€¦

1 Like

I like the first two, while for the third i see too low dps (2 healers, scarlet that is not a good defensive hero)

I know that you do that to bring two dispellers and an attack debuffer (as long as kiril for buffs) just to negate buffs and pump yours, but i guess i treat that rule as a normal raid and do not force myself to bring always a buffer.

So that asset is quite weak for a normal raid.
I only like kiril as tank.

Bloody battle will be Wilburs tank timeā€¦ :innocent:

Proteus will block rushing.

Buff boost will be countered by elemental shielding and much health.