The War Mode Deserves to be Rethought

I would like to rant a bit about wars. I think it’s a poorly designed mode. I think it’s important to have a league-vs-league mode, but the one in E+P isn’t working. Speaking for myself, it’s just not fun (I avoid it unless I need some PoV points) and there is no reason why a game mode shouldn’t be fun.

(Brief bio - I am a C2P player, about 10 months of experience in the game. My defense team is a little over 4000. My sixth rainbow team is about 3200. I only have 14 fully leveled up players, but I do a lot of farming and grinding.)

First of all, as we all know, luck plays an undue role in determining outcomes, but this is ridiculously so in wars. With teams that are roughly equal (+/- 100 points difference) starting with a gem match means a win. Relatively few matches means a loss. This is a problem in raiding too, but if you lose a raid, you can play again. In war, if you get a bad board, your team is gone and one of your six chances is gone too. The penalty for bad luck, which is already too high in raiding, is preposterously high in the war mode. This makes warring, for me, very unpleasant.

Second, the matchups just don’t seem right. I won’t belabor this, but our league is always facing opponents with teams with mostly 4300+ teams, when our teams average around 4000. You’d think that half of the time, we’d be the stronger team, but it doesn’t seem to work out that way. I am not sure if this can be fixed, but the matchmaking system takes into consideration trophies, titans, and war, and this might not produce even war matchups. Perhaps a system that matches leagues against those close to them on the leaderboard?

Third, the wars end in the middle of the night (for players in the US) half of the time. This is poor design; there must be a better way to allow players around the globe to compete.

Fourth, the current system creates punching bags. One way to win is to find a way to beat the weakest team over and over. It’s not fun to be this punching bag team, especially since it takes so long to build a 4000 level team. In one game I used to play, each player could attack three times, and be attacked three times. That made strategy and cooperation more important. It also meant that teams needed to be balanced.

I would like to imagine a war mode that rewards teamwork, team depth, and player skill. Perhaps give each player three hits against a titan, no potions allowed, and the team with the higher score wins? Perhaps there would be color or level restrictions, as there are with tournaments? Perhaps titans with different skills would be needed so some kinds of heroes might be useful? Perhaps you could only use each player once - you’d need three good teams rather than six. (It takes a lot of time or money to build six good teams.) Luck would still play a role, but it would be smaller role.

Thanks for listening. As it is now, I will just avoid war, and maybe that’s just the best option for me.

1 Like

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: War matchmaking strikes again