The origins of GRAVEMAKER

I wrote this based on the druid/barbarian class discussion inspired by the inimitable Zero.

She cradled the great bears head on her lap, bitter tears flowing through the matted fur, moistening the lifeless eyes.
She caressed his ears, pushed her face into his and wept.
Stretching away from her, the bears mutilated carcass told a story of a brutal death - exposed, blood-soaked flesh where the sumptuous hide of glowing runes had been.
“PEACE, BRIENNE” murmured the deep rumble of Horghall.
“Peace? The runic bears were our fiercest allies, there will be no more peace in the Rathwood”.
“THE ELDER ENTS WILL FIND HIM. THIS GRAVEMAKER WILL PAY. THE BEARS WILL RETURN TO US”.
Brienne nodded, but it was without hope. Horghall was right to call him a Gravemaker. How could another druid do such a thing, something so barbaric? To destroy the balance of the wood. There would be many, many graves…

He walked on in silence. The power prickled him, lanced through his muscles and ran like tremors across his nerves.
The blood soaked bear hide clung to his frame as he stalked through the branches.

“STOP, DRUID” came the crunching rumble of the Ent.
“THE COUNCIL OF ELDER ENTS NAMES YOU GRAVEMAKER, AND YOU WILL RETURN TO FACE YOUR FATE”
He turned to face them, peering out through the bone mask.
Three mighty tree men stood there, towering over him. Mighty, but slow to react.
He slowly turned the twisted daggers from his belt.
“THE COUNCIL OF ELDER ENTS NAMES YOU…”
“I heard you, timber man” he hissed
“WHAT IS YOUR REPLY?”
Beneath the bone, his thin smile turned to a chilling grimace as the runes of the murdered bearskin began to glow.
“Ashes to ashes” he whispered.

And then there was fire.

24 Likes

That‘s cool, thanks :smiley:

1 Like

I LOVE it!!!

20 char

1 Like

Must set a reminder for 2019 Summer Solstice to repost this to Community Content if classes are on live server.

3 Likes

Blessings upon you Bard for bringing my favorite heroes to life. Your stories belong in Baen’s, my favorite bar.

2 Likes

Dear Bard of the Empire… very well written… but now I’m sad, because I don’t like Gravemaker anymore… :anguished:

3 Likes

Sorry @Witch, did you think he looked like a good guy :scream:

We can always redeem him by the end of the story, that’s the beauty of fiction!

1 Like

I have a special place in my heart for shamans, @JonahTheBard… but he killed the bears… :sob:

1 Like

No one is beyond salvation. I’ll think up the end of his arc in the future :wink:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:
But really, @JonahTheBard - you shouldn’t change your storyline, because of me. It is your story… and I love your writing. So please keep up the good work.

2 Likes

This is better each time l read it. Shamans play the long game and the trials they face leave them more than a little mad when they first complete them. Only time will tell which side of reality they will ultimately serve.
Gods above and below l do love your stories.

1 Like

But, more I still want more.

1 Like

Brienne seems too fierce to be so passive of a hero. Eventually that berserker rage has to come out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well maybe your idea fits here, she IS Gravemaker, but doesn’t remember what she does in bezerker mode

1 Like

Adrenaline in a human is a crazy thing.

Adrenaline + Magicks???

FIYAAAHHHH

1 Like

Cookie Settings