The E&P Jargon-Pulverising Fictionary (glossary, definitions, dictionary)

Proc - to trigger an effect or skill, commonly used in in RPG

3 Likes

The critical thing though is that “triggering” here means some thing in the game causes the effect to trigger. This is not the user-caused activation of an effect or skill.

So, for instance, the end of a turn causes DOT effects to proc–that is, the end of the turn triggers them to activate and cause damage.

Druids getting hit can cause a minion to proc–that is, to be triggered into existence by the damage causing the class skill to activate.

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. Do you know where the term “proc” comes from? What is it short for?

The etymology is bit unclear. The best guess seems to be that it is short for “special procedure,” and was coined in the old Multi User Dungeon (MUD) days of the 1980s.

A procedure is a programming term for a piece of software which gets invoked. When something in the world “procs” something, it invokes a procedure which applies the effect.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together (and make people laugh, along the way!). Couldn’t find it in my first few searches; perhaps tag it with “glossary”, “definitions”, “what is”, etc., to make it easier to find?

That’s a good idea.

@zephyr1 @Kerridoc I appear to have been stripped of my power to create tags. Could you add some when you’re able?

6 Likes

I would say Mother Notrth is pretty desired too. On r alliance chat app I always just drop MN

@Gryphonknight took care of it, and I just tweaked slightly. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love a twerk. Thanks zephyr :joy:

6 Likes

Gotta love editing quotes lol :dancer::peach:

4 Likes

I missed @zephyr1 twerking while @Gryphonknight was working? And all because @JonahTheBard had been stripped? Talk about a Saturday morning party.

9 Likes

FWIW: The term “mob” to denote killable npcs is from MMORPGs and dates back at least to the original Everquest. It’s actually an abbreviation for Mobile Object and was sometimes written as MOb.

I also remember “proc” from EQ. It referred to random additional damage from weapons and was derived from Process.

3 Likes

In r group it’s always been referred to as ‘flipping the board’ too.

2 Likes

Just ran across the unfamiliar abbreviation TPK. Context clues lead me to believe it means something along the lines of your team getting wiped out quickly. Are you familiar with it? If so, could you add it to the list?

Sounds like an import from D&D

In role-playing games: Total Party Kill. Put even simpler, everybody is dead.

8 Likes

That makes sense. Many thanks.

No, no, thank you :wink:

Added as requested

We need to add META or meta.

Things got a little sideways in that thread because of a lack of understanding of the acronym. My OCD dictates it should be META but my laziness overrules with meta. It is hard to understand which is right with all the voices in my head. The chemist in me chimes in that meta- as a prefix is the resultant of a dehydration reaction. The scientist screams it is subsequent or of a higher order. The philosopher grumbles about transcendence. The most vocal is the narcissist who snidely comments that it really is all about me, and being self-referential.

5 Likes

Perhaps one of your many talented voices would provide a definition that is pertinent to E&P?

4 Likes

Most Effective Tactic Available.

(trying to reign in the voice of the snide one…as it is quoted by FraVit93… :kissing_heart:)

5 Likes