🧪 The Beta Beat (V50) – Tower of Styx, New Season 1 Costumes and Costume Quest -- Sharing the Big Picture on What's Going on in Beta

NOTE: Please do not, under any circumstances, share IMAGES OR VIDEOS from Beta in this or any public Forum thread. Violations can cause players to lose their Beta accounts, or threads to be closed down.

:thinking: What’s this all about?

Click Here for Details About This Thread's Intention & Format

Often players on the Forum wonder about what’s going on in Beta.

If you’re a regular reader of the Forum, then you’ll find that there’s actually abundant conversation about what’s going on in Beta at any given time.

And that’s actually allowed!

What’s restricted is images and videos — but discussion is ok:

The challenge is that information is often scattered around the Forum. I’ve created The Beta Beat to help centralize it for those who are interested.

The Beta Beat is a series of threads which are evolving as I get feedback on what’s helpful to players.

My main focus is giving some high-level guidance of what’s going on in current testing, so players outside of Beta can be better informed.

Like Beta itself, this thread is experimental and will evolve based on your feedback.

Information from Beta is frankly often mostly useless, so don’t get too attached.

Details from Beta, especially brand-new Beta content, don’t tend to be very reliable for actual release.

It’s incredibly common that heroes and features are changed during Beta testing, or sometimes even after testing but before release.

That is, after all, the purpose of Beta testing.

So I wouldn’t get too attached to any information from Beta — it’s not unheard of for entire portions of hero skills to be removed or reworked, or for radical changes to hero stats to be made, or for large chunks of new functionality to be completely changed.

Often Incomplete Information Circulates

Many of us have seen screenshots and other information shared on LINE, Discord, Facebook, and other groups — often without context or explanation.

These can lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

Often, early Beta information — the least reliable or useful — is circulated…and then updated information is missed.

I’m hoping centralizing some high-level information on the Forum may help to reduce this as well.

What’s Going on in Beta Right Now

IMPORTANT: I wouldn’t get too attached to any information from Beta — it’s not unheard of for entire portions of heroes or functionality to be removed, reworked, or radically changed beyond recognition.

Tower of Styx

Styx Troops

Styx heroes

Secondary Season 1 costumes:

Updated Costume Quest

Covenant of Champions

2022 October Hero of the Month

Season 5 Hero

Other Beta Content

(These were tested in earlier Beta versions. These might come back to testing or not…)

Valhalla hero costumes

New Challenge Festival event (for Villains, Starfall and Slayer events)

Season 5 Heroes

2022 July Hero of the Month (Klaern)

2022 August Hero of the Month

2022 September Hero of the Month

Beta Feature Tracking/ Forecasted Content

Staff have not yet released any further insight into the future V50 Beta testing content.

:left_speech_bubble: Feedback?

I’d love to hear thoughts on whether this information and format is useful, and how you’d like to see information presented in the future. Any thoughts or ideas?

Please try to limit discussion in this thread mostly to the information sharing process and feedback on the thread, so we don’t end up with a jumbled discussion of a bunch of different heroes — use the threads linked above for each individual hero to discuss more.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

:exclamation: Beta Updates

This section will be updated over time as there are updates to the V50 Beta Testing Cycle

June 15, 2022

Tower of Styx has arrived with new hereoes

18 Likes

Tower of Styx

I will start to work on the hero topics first
(5 new Legendary, 3 Epic and 2 Rare heroes will arrive if we do not count Hypnos and Nyxt).

High level information about the Tower of Styx:

• 25 floors in both normal and impossible modes
  • New feature: Soul Loan
    • Heroes from 3 classes are unusable for every 5 stages
    • Different in each iteration of event, the same for all players
  • New tile: Soul Grasp
    • Targets one hero
    • If not matched in 5 turns, damages targeted Hero
    • If matched in time, boosts the health of the targeted Hero
  • A Blessing can be chosen every 5 stages

Balance changes

• Styx Family
    • Family Bonus now increases further with 3 members in team: 40/60% → 40/60/80% chance to cast a received defense ailment to all enemies

Bug fixes

• Fixed the issue where the Berserker effect icon was stuck on Gullinbursti’s portrait during the battle after the damage dealt by his effect was reflected by an enemy
  • Fixed an issue where the icon for the Spreading poison would not appear on a hero if normal poison was overwritten by the spreading poison
  • Changed Anton’s 1x mana charge special skill description to clarify that only the hit enemies receive poison damage
  • Fixed a rare visual issue where a PvP battle with a mono team would start with a dead enemy hero in case the board reshuffled during the very first turn due to no matches
14 Likes

Let’s see if this gets players excited given how often I’ve seen it asked for

9 Likes

Does this replace the curse tiles entirely, thus removing the cursing mechanism, or both type of tiles can appear?

If it replaces the curse tiles entirely, in addition to the 25+25 stages, it would totally give me more will to complete the tower!
I hope we will get a similar update (at least the 25+25) for the existing towers in the near future!!!

2 Likes

And as I see there are no curses mentioned…
So you can start using your best heroes, without afraiding of loosing them :slight_smile:

14 Likes

No curses in this tower?
So this is a complete change of game mechanics for a tower, the curses were the main factor determining the tower gameplay.

1 Like

Thank, that answers my question… And it’s GREAT!
For once, thank you SGG, I love that move, together with the 25+25 stages.

1 Like

would like chests on the impossible side, to add more incentive to do that side.

5 Likes

I just hope this new tower is not like the old ones, which are BORING and TEDIOUS.

Also, a question about the 3 classes of heroes unusable for every 5 stages, are they unusable for ONLY THOSE 5 stages, or unusable after also?

2 Likes

good to see that there are some significant changes to the gameplay AND number of floors… it’s different enough from the Magic and Ninja Towers, at least!

3 Likes

Oh good, no curses! :+1:

1 Like

@PlayForFun any chance we got a buff in the next Hotm? I was hoping They still change it

no curses and only 50 floors? what a pleasant surprise. i wonder why? :thinking:

no complaints though. as long as it horrendously difficult, maybe i’ll try to get to the end instead of stopping at like the 2nd floor of impossible like with the other towers. :laughing:

1 Like

This is beta. Wait for the live version and you’ll also see curses :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe cos SGG metrics indicate declining participation in both ToM and NT. They can pretend forum posts are exaggerated but player participation metrics are hard to ignore.

9 Likes

If there are 25 stages in normal and 25 stages in impossible, does this mean that we’ll receive 5 energy/day instead of 10?
I find it hard to believe we’ll have enough free flags to complete this tower given the fact that both the existing towers require flasks to complete

1 Like

The towers USED to give enough energy to finish in the original form if a single 50 level tower, this is a good improvement to go BACK to 50 stages… It’s kind of like challenge events went from 10 to 15 back to 10, except you could always play those stages… It’s good to scale back event depth with so much going on.

4 Likes

No, we still have 10 energy / day.

Other topic:

The Tower of Styx heroes topic is now ready:

4 Likes

did they changed Klaern? was hoping for a buff =(

1 Like

Klaern is not part of this Beta :frowning:

So we do not know.

There can be a change, but nothing is guaranteed.

1 Like