šŸ§Ŗ The Beta Beat (v30) ā€“ Hero Balance Updates; Updated Alchemy Lab; Hero Academy; Updated Sand Empire Seasonal Event; Updated Path of Valor; New Season 3 Heroes; Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep HOTM ā€“ Sharing the Big Picture on What's Going on in Beta

Voidstrike, Iā€™m not trying to put you on the spot but you replied to me stating that I was wrong to consider HA (as currently implemented) as rewarding for experienced and dedicated F2P or C2P players.

I asked what would make you think otherwise and you pointed me at this set of suggestions you had made.

I commented that most of your suggestions were met and some were even surpassed.

Just so we are on the same page, this is what you suggested and ----- what we have right now:

The only major difference was your last suggestion. I commented that it was unfair to many players who donā€™t have HOTMs to spare. Your fix is to allow for 2 vanilla 5*s instead.

Iā€™m sorry, and no offense, but this is not a reasonable suggestion. Even if we include all the HOTMs to date (currently at 37), this suggestion would basically give players a 10% chance each month to land Gravemaker, just to name one of the most wanted heroes of this game. And not only a 10% chance, but a free one at that.

As you said, not here nor there though. If this is what you expected out of the HA, thatā€™s your prerogative.

Yes and SG said in the AMA that HA will take care of the need for tradingā€¦

Empty promise sadlyā€¦

Who would trade their event heroes into S1 heroes via HA?

It got to be HotM for HotM, event for event, to make it as substitition for trading.

2 Likes

I think you are missing the key uses of the word ā€œTrainā€ vs ā€œRetrainā€

The current HA edition doesnā€™t do ANYTHING for duplicate heroes except for HA10ā€¦ So all your duplicate 3* & 4* heroes are worthlessā€¦

HA10 also indiscriminately applies a flat 5% chance of getting a random ā€œnon-vanilla heroā€ outā€¦ It was requested many times that some ā€œscalingā€ be applied based on the rarity of the hero you put in (i.e. put in an event 5* hero & get better odds of getting a ā€œnon-vanillaā€ hero out)ā€¦ So @voidstrikeā€™s comment about his proposed T10 isnā€™t really that unrealistic.

The other thing to note is that the ā€œnon-vanillaā€ heroes are currently ONLY in HA10ā€¦ Not in the 3* or 4* realmsā€¦ which would have made a HUGE difference in the usefulness of those levels to players who DO NOT spend much/any money on the gameā€¦

If weā€™re harping on about what we wish HA could have been, this was my ā€œtotal overhaul & make it usefulā€ suggestion I provided in Beta Feedback:

But all of those type things are just hopes and dreams at this point.

7 Likes

5% or 10%???

1 Like

ā– ā– ā– ā–  = ā– ā– ā– ā–  :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes; 5% is the correct number

1 Like

Guv, Iā€™m not sure I get your point about ā€œtrainingā€ and ā€œretrainingā€. The only time in Voidstrikeā€™s suggestion that I interchanged the two was about the suggested:

T6 - Train Epic Heroes (include pool of S2) - 5 days
T7 - Retrain Epic Heroes (include pool of S2) - 6 days

I donā€™t see how ā€œretraining an epic heroā€ for 6 days is better than ā€œtraining an epic heroā€ for 5 days. Sure, you avoid getting the same hero, but you also spend an extra day.

But more importantly I donā€™t see how either of them is better than the current HA version that allows training of Epic Heroes in 2.5 days. Would you prefer putting in a Chao for any non-Chao Epic hero in 6 days over putting in recruits for a chance of an Epic hero in 2.5 days, even at the risk of getting a Chao?

I agree your duplicate 3 and 4*s are worthless but they were worthless despite of HA, not because of it. And if Iā€™m being honest, I find your scenario very intriguing. It seems to me youā€™re talking about a player with at least 18 month of continuous play (the time to upgrade HA), who has a roster full of bad Epic heroes but lacks all or almost all the good ones, and now that the player finally managed to put HA in use and has a new resource to get Epic heroes in 2.5 days, the player is upset he/she cannot use the Epic dupes instead of recruits. I think there has to be something Iā€™m missing here.

And back on the proposal, without qualifying it, I donā€™t see how it is realistic to get 100% chance at a HOTM and almost 3% chance at a specific HOTM every 10 days at the cost of a bad HOTM, and some free resources. With 36 such shots a year, how many of the 36 past HOTMs would a person get?

I like your proposal more as I think itā€™s more balanced though your last level is very optimistic to me. 80 chances/year at a 5* hero, despite the weighted chances is better than any portal IMO (without doing the math).

My idea of HA, since weā€™re sharing was a completely different direction. I wanted HA to be a skill and mana speed improvement tool, instead of the trading center it is. In other words you could take for example Azlar through one level of training and turn him into an average mana Azlar, put him through another level and add dispel as a new skill, put him through another and increase his direct damage by 50%, put him through another and change his element to Ice. With enough dedication and imagination, you could turn Azlar into a very fast Ice hero that deals 250% direct damage to all and dispels all ailments, in other words, a much better Vela if you lack her.

I find the ā€œcreate your own heroā€ much more intriguing. Imagine everyone playing with a personalized roster.

3 Likes

Wouldā€™ve been epic

It makes more sense intuitively as well - Academy means training heroes to become better versions of themselves, not Azlar randomly turning into Evelyn lol

1 Like

Not only that, but imagine how better the game experience would be. Every raid you made youā€™d need to study your opponent in detail because two people with identical heroes in name would have completely different skills and talents. Imagine Kunchen with damage, Thorne with DoT, or Hel at fast mana.

Imagine that, and then compare it to facing GM-Tel-Vel 9 out of 10 times. Iā€™m at the point now when I reroll whenever I face a different team because Iā€™m too lazy to change my team for just one matchup.

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™d be like

woah! This AVERAGE Azlar snipes AND does DOT. His power level is above 9000!!

Thay would definitely take a couple years.

But itā€™d still be faster than the chances of getting a GM from the current HA.

Because the entire point of @voidstrike ā€˜s post was to be able to get access to S2 heroes.

If you can build HA do you SERIOUSLY think thereā€™s any need to train classic 3 or 4 star heroes? AT ALL?

But F2P and C2P players may very well be missing S2 heroes, so that would have made those levels actually, you know, useful.

And it was at least implied by SGG that HA was going to solve that. As well as for 5*. Itā€™s failed to do so for ANY of them.

That pool of HotMs is ever growing, and if you make the costs high enough (like maxed food storage kind of high) then it absolutely impacts your ability to do other things and becomes a real trade off. As an aside, Iā€™d actually recommend limiting this to HotM that are FULLY unavailable from AR, which would actually cut the number down significantly to start. Itā€™s grow eventually, but would also give difference between this and ToL.

The real downside is that this particular thing is. less F2P friendly in a way because spenders are more likely to have spare HotM/event/seasonal heroes. But thatā€™s already true, and if a F2P does happen to get a special hero from retraining then at least this would give them an option to make it one they want rather than Thoth.

Perhaps that was his point but I think you missed my point. If the options are:

1. Train = Convert some recruits and resources into an Epic hero in 5 days
  2. Retrain = Convert an epic hero and resources into an Epic hero in 6 days

Which option do you think is better if both draw from the same exact pool?

I thought the current Level 10 of HA literally exchanges your legendary 5* heroes for a new random one, with a 5% chance of a past HOTM, S2, or Event hero.
So youā€™re half right.

There are only 37 HOTM, including Raffaele, the current HOTM. Using one HOTM to get one of the other 36 will give your basically a 3% chance every 10 days to get a specific HOTM. Decreasing the number as you suggest would increase the chances even more. And we are talking about specific HOTMs. In other words, such suggestion means that youā€™d have around 20% chance for a Gravemaker every month for example without spending a dime, at a time when no portal gives you a 20% chance for A legendary hero, not a specific hero, just A hero.

I know itā€™s wishful thinking but letā€™s keep it a little grounded.

True, but once they turned Thoth into Onatel theyā€™d be done while spenders would get anyone else worth getting. How would this affect the gap between spenders and the rest?
What about the gap between rookies who are months away from upgrading to HA
10 and the rest? Heck, what about the gap between F2P and C2P?

Iā€™m a bit lost here, as Iā€™m still trying to figure out how all of this stuff worksā€¦ but basically, if the pool only consists of season one 4* heroes, I have zero interest in either option. I donā€™t think anyone who has been playing this game for long enough to be able to build HA has any need at all for more vanilla 4s. Throw event and S2 heroes into the mix? Then yeahā€¦ Iā€™d gladly trade my 5th or 6th Li Xiu or Boldtusk for a Wilbur or Proteus. Any day. Even if itā€™s just a ā€œchanceā€ and I get to keep throwing back the bad fish until I get a good fish. But if the pool is only full of ā€œbadā€ fish, whatā€™s the point? (By bad fish I mean, fish that I already have plenty of - not saying that BT et al. are bad heroes, many of them are quite good - just that I already get enough of them from summons and TC20).

As for the troop training? I think itā€™s awesome that they finally added a way to train troops. Whatā€™s not so awesome is how long it takes to train them. Someone (IIRC it was @zephyr1?) calculated that it would take something like 9 years to fully level up a single rainbow set of 4* troops at those current levelsā€¦? That seems a little ridiculous to me.

Wasnā€™t my suggestion, but letā€™s take a look at that. Even if we take your ā€œso called worst case scenarioā€ into consideration. 20% chance to turn a random 5* hero into a Gravemaker in one monthā€™s time. For free. The audacity, right? The audacity that all someone would have to do to get a free Gravemaker is to play the game for long enough to get a SH level 25, build a Hero Academy, pull a 5* hero from TC20, then retrain it over and over again for a mere 5 more months in order to have a decent chance to turn it into a Gravemaker. What fresh hell you say! At that rate, practically everyone who plays this game for 2 years will have a single Gravemaker on their rosters! And then the entire game will be ruined. Utterly ruined.

So then tell meā€¦ what is a more appropriate level of time that one should have to grind in order to have a reasonable chance at one decent hero without spending thousands of dollars? 5 years? 10? :laughing:

2 Likes

Huh, there are 5* trainers? Iā€™ve never seen 1 on the 10 months Iā€™ve been playing and most of you would consider me a whale

1 Like

Dunno;

if there arenā€™t they could easily be created. If not then the % could easily be redistributed to the 4* trainers.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing for 21 months. Never seen a 5* trainer hero. Butā€¦ as Guvnor saysā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair but I donā€™t see what it has to do with my point. Iā€™m not arguing that itā€™s OK for HA not to include S2 Epic heroes. Iā€™m simply questioning the point of two different methods that deliver the exact same thing.

Simply put, if I could get a hero by sacrificing 100 recruits and 5 days, or by sacrificing a dupe Chao and 6 days, I would pick recruits every time. Thatā€™s it. If others feel differently, feel free to discuss but letā€™s not miss the forest for the trees.

Thatā€™s a hell of a strawman you pulled there. making it sound like this was all about a Gravemaker and conveniently ā€œforgettingā€ the other 14 retrains.

But to play along, yes,someone could argue that the game is broken if you end up with Gravemaker, Hel, Alberich, Zeline, Delilah, Drake, Alasie, Zim, Evelyn, Frida and Kunchen within a few months without spending a dime. I doubt even the biggest spender has ever achieved this.

But just so others donā€™t think Iā€™m the bad guy here, I propose the game should reward players with a free HOTM every time they move up one level as a reward for their dedication to the game, and their hard work for completing every mission, quest, challenge event, and farming constantly, using every flag and every flask and even purchasing WE refills. I mean, would the game be utterly ruined if I got a Gravemaker after playing for 18 months and reaching level 70?

If you disagree with my suggestion, then tell meā€¦ what is a more appropriate level of time that one should have to grind in order to have a reasonable chance at one decent hero without spending thousands of dollars? 5 years? 10? :laughing:

2 Likes

Except thatā€™s a false dichotomy. Youā€™ve changed the retrain into something completely different and are then asking which is better.

The answer is theyā€™re both equally worthless in your scenario.

No, Iā€™m 95% right if you want to play this game, because getting a S1 hero isnā€™t what was asked for. It was, very specifically, how to get old HotMs. And a 5% chance per week with heavy resource expenditure fits that requirement byā€¦ 5%. At best.

Given that it will happily turn spare S2/event/etc heroes into a S1 hero (and only forum goers knobetter), it actually doesnā€™t really meet the 5% level either.

Again, a false dichotomy. Youā€™re ignoring that it requires expending a 5*, that it requires over a year of play and building (2+ years of F2P), and a huge amount of resources. All of which no portal requires either.

And how is it the playerā€™s fault that no other hero has rivaled GM, Hel, or Athena in their particular capacities? But those heroes are essentially forever unavailable to F2P. Unless you think spinning the HA10 wheel for 90 years to have a 50/50 shot at GM is reasonable.

Frankly, Iā€™d actually propose something even more radical. After 2 years (aka, no longer in AR portal), the HotMs would become classic heroes and available in ALL the same ways as any other classic hero. That would solve several issues, and actually make the 5% chance for a non classic hero decent.

3 Likes

Beta V31 opened ā€¦

2 yeasrs in the game
71 lvl
almost F2P
I have 56 S1 heroes
0 S2
0 S3
5 HOTM (2 Thot-Amun)
I was waiting for HA, becouse it is boring, boring, boring without new heroes
I should keep playing?
it will still be boring
I don"t need more events with the same Hero roster
why I canā€™t have some fun after 3 years of playing in next year?

9 Likes