🧪 The Beta Beat (v30) – Hero Balance Updates; Updated Alchemy Lab; Hero Academy; Updated Sand Empire Seasonal Event; Updated Path of Valor; New Season 3 Heroes; Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep HOTM – Sharing the Big Picture on What's Going on in Beta

I’m excited for Tree Sloth Loki.

4 Likes

That seems like a rather optimistic guess.

Naaa forget about French maid justice… I wana see French maid Thorne!!!

4 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

Anyone have an idea when we might get Beta 30.1? Does the .1 bit usually come about a week or a month after the initial version, or is there no set pattern to look at? Been trying to find the pattern myself by looking at old Beta Beat posts, but it’s kinda hard to rustle through & find…

I’ve been hoping for beta info on the next batch of monthlies before Teltoc comes out, so I could advise my brother’s summons with more information

1 Like

.x releases became less common after the change in version numbering with Version 15. (More on that here: Change in Version Numbering (September, 2018))

Since then, they’ve been used primarily for post-release bug fixes, or for smaller content updates pushed out ahead of a major release, when the release would have been too far out.

It’s conceivable that Telluria’s adjustments could be released in 29.1, for example, if Version 30 were taking longer to develop and test than the timeline they wanted to put those changes live.

Given that .x versions are usually for fixes or smaller updates now, there isn’t an observable standard for how quickly they come. (Or whether they exist at all. Some releases have had a single major version number, with no minor releases before the next major one.)

It’s also quite typical that Beta content ends up released in a different live game version number than it was initially tested in.

The easiest way to peruse the version number history timing is to look at this search:

https://forum.smallgiantgames.com/search?context=topic&context_id=46530&q=%23news-announcements%20%22release%20notes%22%20order%3Alatest_topic&skip_context=true

(You may have to click Search again after clicking the link)

Update to answer your addendum:

If you’re just asking when new content will come to Beta, there’s usually a changeover in content every few days to a week during active Beta cycles.

But what comes in each release just depends on what’s ready to test.

I can tell you that my impression is Sand Empire may come to Beta ahead of new HOTM, based on the order listed by the Small Giant Staff. But things often get shuffled around.

3 Likes

Taking off my pissed off hat for a second here with an objective look:

Has there ever been a time when about 1/3 of the top 100 Alliances adding a Tag to their alliance name indicating that they do not welcome a change that’s announced in the game?

Has there ever been a time when a thread got 1000+ posts in less than 24 hours? For anything?

I think not only is this completely unique in the game’s history, the timing of all of this also cannot be worse for the game;

Just as lockdowns are being loosened, people are currently all mentally fatigued by the lockdown and easily annoyed, this event could push them away from the game.

And then, when the lockdown eases, it’s the perfect time for them to start finding a new hobby or goal out in the real world and forget about the game.

So I think this time is completely different. It’s not one or two people complaining of some insignificant matter.

This is a significant crossroads for this game, and there’s a good chance SG could potentially lose a lot of costumers that they’ll never get back, and it would take them quite some effort and money and time to fill up the void with new players, if they manage to do so.

13 Likes

It is different in volume but not in tone. And I suspect that has a lot to do with the lockdown and all the frustrations generated by that. The game is supposed to be an outlet to #playaparttogether and when changes are made/proposed that can make your gameplay more difficult you react adversely to it. Also there are a significantly higher number of forum users now than there were two years ago.

This can and likely will cause many players to stop playing regardless of what SGG do, or even if they do nothing. Somehow they missed completely how dominating Telluria would be as a tank, and I am now come to the opinion that she should not have been released as-is.

But there has always been and always will be these arguments about the game in one form or another, and every one is prefaced with the “it’s the end of the game” statement.

TBH I preferred the game as it was a year ago when it was less congested.

4 Likes

@Rook has said that the response now is very reminiscent of when Athena was released, and subsequently rebalanced after release.

I took note of some similarities in the announcements too:

3 Likes

But Athena was nerfed in balanced way and remains universal, and Telluria’s nerf makes her useless on offence.

3 Likes

There is a dedicated topic in which proposed Telluria and Vela nerf should be discussed. Let this thread remain free of this (hot) discussion so we are able to easily track changes and new content in beta.

18 Likes

Do we know the time frame when Athena was nerfed? I wasn’t a gamer then lol curious if it was close to her release -

Based on thread dates, I believe the announcement and balance updates were quite soon after her launch — it looks like during her first month of availability even.

Looking at past threads, I think the Beta program was actually launched the month after that, presumably in part to reduce issues like that in the future.

5 Likes

Live server

Athena was nerfed so often because players kept finding ways to break the game with Athena.

Athena came out in 2017-July, and last nerf was changing the damage formula in 2017-November.

Solo

As released, Athena was insanely powerful alone.

I have heard some truly strange rumors about Athena live server v1.0 ( after I downloaded Empires but before my time on the forum), but just searching the forum shows Athena was very very powerful.

Synergy

Originally Athena stacked with Isarnia/ Grimm/ Gormek/ Tibutus just like Vela+ Telluria works well together. So that was nerfed.

Wu Kong+ Tarlak was stopped in Beta.

Elemental defense down

Just like Vela 5*+20 and Telluria 5*+20 on war defense teams, Athena + Panther/ Falcon/ Jackal became a problem they eventually had to address.

In fact they eventually rewrote the damage formula because of it.

Reaction

Players were very vocal about all this nerfing. Both players that had Athena, and those without Athena.

Notes

Stacking

(Athena Solution)

Damage formula

(Damage decreased - #7 by Gryphonknight)

(Defense debuff stacking 1.8 vs 1.9)

FIN

12 Likes

I think this paints an excellent picture - we can anticipate final changes to Telly to be incremental (and over time, if necessary), and certainly not the vast change currently being tested only in beta.

Likewise for all other heroes being looked at.

3 Likes

this is exactly what I need to read among the whole Velluriacs’ polution…

2 Likes

I hope they make something with AL where you can convert 3* ascension items to 4*, example:

• 4 of Orb Magic to → 1x Poison Dart (can even be forced to convert only to same color)
  • Consumes 200k food or Iron
  • 5 or 7 days time
  • if they are greedy then add option of 30 gems cost for it, so it is not “free”
5 Likes

@zephyr1 hi bro when will be these details released ? I’m so excited to see and can’t control my eager lol :joy:

1 Like

Make it 300 gems, and we will still be ok with it. Just make it a 100% conversion. No more of this x% chance bull crap.

5 Likes

Yea, actually that was how I envisioned Alchemy Lab in the first place. Problem there is that some people playing on high level have literally tens, if not hundreds of those unused rare ascensions mats (trap tools, blades etc.), excess of which would be sufficient to resolve any shortage of epic ascension mats they may have, and I think that’s what they aimed to avoid.

2 Likes