🧪 The Beta Beat (v23) [NOW RELEASED] – Sharing the Big Picture on What's Going on in Beta: Stronghold 22/23 & Alchemy Lab, New Challenge Event Heroes, New Knights of Avalon & Pirates of Corellia Challenge Events, Costumes, November/December HOTM

Roster

I am a strong advocate of “What is in your roster?”

IIRC you have many more uses for food, and iron, than I do.

Barry

Sounds like a well thought out plan for your base.

Imbalance

I never understood why the Devs decided on 4 mines, 9 farms, and 1 Watchtower, then only allowed Watchtower to produce while upgrading.

This heavily penalizes upgrading a mine ( 16.52% iron production loss ) versus upgrading a farm ( 8.544% food production loss ).

Unintended Consequences #1 or Food hoards

I do understand that hoarding food in camps at Stronghold 11 ( and much better at 12 ), caught them by surprise but it was an unintended consequence of long training times.

Food hoards greatly facilitate the hoarding of finished heroes in training camps.

Symmetry

But the Devs lack of symmetry with iron hoards has created an imbalance. If you could use iron to train troops with a chance of 2* / 3* / 4* troops or craft gems or craft emblems then iron hoards could exist and I could switch between prioritizing food and prioritizing iron.

With no way to hoard iron, iron production becomes a higher concern for me.

Heavy duty Healer play style

Until the infusion of recruits from AR, and Advanced house, I did not collect from farms, or mines, for months. I just did not spend that much food, or iron.

I do not know how the Devs expected Empires to be played, but it has become increasingly clear, my play style, especially multiple heavy duty healers, is not it.

When shards, or trade, is introduced, chasing 2x Grazul is a strong possibility.

Rarity

The Devs system of rarity for 4* ingredients, 4* ascension items, 5* healers and 4* troops seems to have backfired in my case by removing all pressure on food, and iron prior to Stronghold 21.

5* Battle items

I had hoped 5* Battle items would effect multiple enemy targets, but Devs decided not to go that route. This design choice greatly reduces the usefulness of 5* Battle items and the need for food, and iron, to produce them.

Hunter’s Lodge

I am especially sad that Hunter’s Lodge does not unlock at Stronghold 10, and that Hunter’s Caltrops effect only 1 target at a very high cost per use. A minor version, similar to antidotes and mana potions, would have been awesome.

Perhaps add a Witch’s Hut that unlocks at Stronghold 10 and contains charms that add 30% immunity to enemy debuff or 30% chance to disrupt an enemy buff or -20% Attack to allies for +30% Defense to allies.

Unintended Consequences #2 or Stronghold 21

The hobbled roll out of Advanced Buildings, and its timing with my 4*+16 to 4*+18 heroes, is creating a temporary bottle neck for iron.

While positioning Hero Academy at Stronghold 25 also reduces pressure on food production.

trade

Depending on how it is implemented, trade should put further pressure on food production.

Given the past, and current, roadmaps, I expect things to get interesting in Spring of 2020. Devs do like their first quarter roll outs.

Notes

Click for notes

4x Mines Level 20
3,617 / 21,882= 16.52% iron

9x Farms Level 20
5,300 / 62,031= 8.544% Food

FIN

4 Likes